Amsterdam Meet 2015 report of upcoming Spyderco prototypes

I only just found this thread. Nice to see everything at once. The only knife I'm sure I'll buy is the Ion, but I'd immediately round down the sharp corners on the handle. Those unnecessary points are awful. The Nirvana would be hard to beat if I wanted a bigger blade. My choice for a safe queen would be the Mamba, but it's totally impractical for a user. I might have to get an Endeavour just because. Thanks to Mr. Blonde; this is one of the most informative threads I've seen in a long time.

I was clearly referring to comments in this thread. Not everyone likes or pines over the Sebenza. Most don't say they don't like it either. Because fanboys attack them for their opinion.
Thank you for proving that even here in the Spyderco forum Sebenzanites believe we all just have Chris Reeve envy.
I will be happy to buy anything other than a CRK. Because it will have more style.

Drop it. This is no place for your CRK "discussion"

Chris D.:D

Last but not least is this short video I took of the upcoming Spyderco Tighe Stick, designed by Brian Tighe. Eric Glesser gives a quick table top preview of this stunning knife. Again, sorry for the poor video quality. Proper pictures of the Tighe Stick prototype can be found in this post.

[video=youtube;lNP7MNRQpes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNP7MNRQpes[/video]

And that's all folks! Thank you all very much for looking and following all the posts of the 2015 Spyderco prototypes. I've received many very kind messages during this process and I appreciate it very much. Most of all, thank you to the Spydercrew for giving us this access to upcoming designs, and specifically thank you to Ted and Marcel for making sure all the various prototypes at the meet got to my little photo booth, after they took some measurements of the knives! Do note that Ted measured the blade from the tip to where the handle would start, so the bladelength stated is longer than the edgelength.

r2JSbNN.png

I keep looking at the Tighe Stick, and just want to take it to a grinder and shave that hump down xD

I always look forward to these threads from Mr. Blonde :thumbup: Thanks for your continued hard work.

Like others have said, I've been wanting Rassenti custom for a while, but the secondary market prices are a little steep for my pocketbook. The Nirvana is one of the coolest collaborations that Spyderco has done in a long time, IMO. It's just such a streamlined, aesthetically beautiful design. With S90V, I'm in, no matter the cost. Hands down one of the coolest titanium frame locks I've ever seen.

The Bradley Folder 2 will be a big hit. Very refined. Glad Spyderco stuck with the carbon fiber/G-10 laminate, thick stainless liner lock, and M4 steel. Again - I'm in.

I used to own one of the original Lil' Temperance's (Trailing Point), and even though it was firstly designed as a martial blade arts knife, it made for an excellent utility knife. Glad to see it back in black G-10 and VG-10. It should be one tough little knife. I prefer larger knives, but will make an exception for this "Lil'" guy. :)

The Brend Mamba is out of control. I think these will sell well, even at the high asking price. The grinds are just nuts. Wish it was in something other than S30V (I have an irrational bias against that steel) or else I'd be in for one as well.

I have to say - this year looks better than the last 3 years combined. I'm glad the economy has strengthened to the point where some of these designs can hit the market running.

Sal & Company: well done, very well done!! :thumbup:

Definitely like the Mamba and the Ion, don't really see the appeal in the Roadies or the other small folders, just not my taste. I hope the Mamba isn't too expensive, but it's not going to be under at least $200 I know.

As far as the Draper...I was actually hoping that when it didn't show up on the market in 2014 that was the end of that monstrosity. Seriously, it looks like a bad Chinese fake. Why in the world they thought that was a good idea to make that knife I will never understand, especially at the price.

thanks for all the pics and insight Mr Blonde. Definately hope some of these make production sooner than later.

spyderco nirvana... everything that the benchmade 761 should've been and without the stilly excuses. imo of course...

yes:
attachment.php

no:
attachment.php

TAKEMY$ :D:D:D:D:D
attachment.php

Last edited:
Really like the Nirvana.., but no lefty support? Just put some holes on the left scale for the clip and I'll buy one for sure!

This looks amazing. This is one for the pull list.

The ION features a full carbon fiber slightly radiused handle that results in a very light folder for its size. The handle does feature steel liners and I guess the spacer was made from G-10. The flipper worked great on this sample, and it quickly becomes clear why a function opening hole is not needed. The hole in the blade is there solely for trademark purposes. When you look at the exposed locking tab, it might look thin. This part of the linerlock is actually ground down a bit for ease of access. The rest of the linerlock has a full thickness liner. I liked the ergonomic of this little folder a lot, and I can’t wait to get my hands on a production version to give it a good cutting workout. I think this could be a great office folder – classy, light and practical.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_fullcarbonfiber.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_inhand_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_inhand_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_spacer.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_spineblade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_standing.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_ion_clipside.jpg