...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

I passed on this model due to the size, but those stags look fantastic.

i was not aware of that American Whittler version.

pretty nice and love the houndstooth shield.

Augie Augie please tell us about that large knife..... love it

It is a Hibbard Spencer&Bartlett which was a major hardware company that started in the mid 1800's. They did not make their own knives but had them made by many different companies such as Schrade, Camillus, etc.
The pattern is generally referred to as a Hunter, this particular coke bottle style seemed to be popular from early to mid 1900's, you don't see the coke bottle style all that much anymore although other large knives from Case, Kabar, Buck and others have all been called Hunters.

-04GEC%20Coke%20Bottle%2097.jpg

-02GEC%20Coke%20Bottle%2097.jpg

As far as the springs go, mine is fine, by my standards, definitely on the easy side but not soft or sloppy.
I don't like a big blade that wants to get away from you just before you get to the half stop. This is perfectly manageable. Smooth walk and talk, not gritty at all.

-01GEC%20Coke%20Bottle%2097-2.jpg

I don't know why they went with the oversized barlow-esque bolster. It's pretty hefty, but I guess thats OK.
Does give the model a stand out look.

Here is the GEC family as it stands now for a size comparison.

-06GEC%20Coke%20Bottle%2097.jpg

-04GEC%20Coke%20Bottle%2097.jpg

-02GEC%20Coke%20Bottle%2097.jpg

As far as the springs go, mine is fine, by my standards, definitely on the easy side but not soft or sloppy.
I don't like a big blade that wants to get away from you just before you get to the half stop. This is perfectly manageable. Smooth walk and talk, not gritty at all.

-01GEC%20Coke%20Bottle%2097-2.jpg

I don't know why they went with the oversized barlow-esque bolster. It's pretty hefty, but I guess thats OK.
Does give the model a stand out look.

Here is the GEC family as it stands now for a size comparison.

-06GEC%20Coke%20Bottle%2097.jpg
Thanks for the photos and the comments on the pull.

Recieved mine today. Haven't been this disappointed with a GEC since at least the .38 Special.. I'll echo a post from a few days ago; it has an action like a friction folder.

F&F is nice, until you get to the shield. It is extremely proud and catchy. The autumn gold bone on mine is better than most I've seen (much closer to antique amber than autumn gold) but still not anything special. I do like the jigging on this one though.

But I simply cannot get over the pull. 3 1/2, might be able to work it up to a 4. Completely unacceptable for a blade this size IF you actually intend to use it like the pattern is supposed to be used. I know I wouldn't get within 5 feet of a deer or bear that needed dressed with this thing. They would have been far better served nixing the half stop and going with a stouter spring. Or better yet, had a liner lock.

I'll be sending this back. I'll get a Texas Rose to put away, and I'll be done with this pattern... Its a shame too. The #97 had such promise.

i received an ebony 97 today and overall I like it very much.

fit and finish is extremely good, blade centered, shield well inletted, walk and talk very nice- a 4 1/2 out of the tube. Id prefer a 6 or 7, but I like a strong pull.

my only complaint is the ebony is fairly brown, more so than any ebony GEC i have ever had. I plan on getting several more 97s.
84EA35E7-6A62-4E0C-89F1-B4C8179B01E7.jpeg CED2DC34-363A-46BE-9AEB-1DE2092ED22D.jpeg 77138DE8-F18F-42B7-BE38-D490D2BB0B63.jpeg 4FE71712-5F62-4795-9FB1-6180D5AC649B.jpeg 708C4588-A6E7-4FE8-9270-BD3C95AA0400.jpeg

i received an ebony 97 today and overall I like it very much.

fit and finish is extremely good, blade centered, shield well inletted, walk and talk very nice- a 4 1/2 out of the tube. Id prefer a 6 or 7, but I like a strong pull.

my only complaint is the ebony is fairly brown, more so than any ebony GEC i have ever had. I plan on getting several more 97s.
View attachment 1104428 View attachment 1104429 View attachment 1104430 View attachment 1104431 View attachment 1104432
I'm just waiting for mine to arrive and I'll be doing a happy dance if mine looks that good.

I received my Beaver Tail 97.

The pull is really light and sluggish on the full open.

I think I can flush it out and work towards a snap, but with such a light resistance to close the blade it makes me concerned that I can not use this knife with confidence.

I still really like my Beaver Tail, but it will sit on my desk to be admired and probably open some mail and boxes:)

Now onto the next run I can get another Beaver Tail!

That stag is looking really nice. I originally planned to get that and ebony, but now I'm on a self imposed knife buying hiatus. I'm still buying the AMKCA club knife though, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't rather it had stag or yellow rose or ebony rather than the autumn gold jigged bone.

I'm sorry for GEC but all this talk about light pulls has convinced me I won't be buying a second knife after I pick up my Oregon Knife Collector version. Maybe if they have some working knives at the show I can check out for pull first I will change my mind.

Back