1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Stropping Young Lad, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    I really like the bear shield, anyone know if Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors has used the shield before?

2. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    1987 Bob Cargill Cripple Creek made for AMKC IMG_0810.jpeg

3. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Just got the tracking number for my ebony 97 and I'll be away. Oh well, something to look forward to.

4. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    Thanks for the info. Did a bit of a search for AMKC, not a lot turns up, but they have put out some great club knives. I do like Bob's shield. Reminded me of the three legged bear Hopi silversmith Lawrence Saufkie used on his pieces.

FullSizeRender.jpg

5. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Well there it is! Not sure it would have been my choice of handle material... probably would have preferred the look of ebony, stag, and yellow bone.

Still, at least it's unique.

They have used it a lot. GEC just didn't want to use it on the abalone of last year's knife.

Matt_WY likes this.
  6. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
  7. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    A number of people have talked about light pull and or weak snap on these knives, must say this comes as a surprise. I would think a large knife would be better off with a heavier spring a) You've got more blade to hold on to when opening, plus that forward nail nick which would suggest it's there because of a heavy action. It's cosmetic then. b) You would not want a big blade to close on you with too much ease, frankly dangerous. Sounds like soft pull and snap are more of a lockback type of thing, I suspect this big knife would be better suited to this construction as well.

Jak3 likes this.
  8. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
  9. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    second 97 in ebony, just as nice as first and very nice wood

EFB42B77-EE21-4285-85E9-6C8C2A4BBB44.jpeg 504A5783-9717-44D0-8A61-97976DF32FCB.jpeg

10. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Received my ebony today, just a gorgeous well made knife, GEC did a great job on this classic pattern.

IMG_0057.jpg IMG_0058.jpg IMG_0061.jpg

11. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    To me getting Gabon Ebony is luck of the draw, I've had black mixed with brown and tan and I prefer true black. Your first 97 sounds nice, I see what you're saying about the color but your second 97 looks real sweet. I got gun shy and haven't pulled the trigger ordering mine yet. Nice pictures.

12. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    The Ebonies are looking good!!:thumbsup:
    Bill is making me a small run of African Blackwoods with my favorite shield!!
    They will probably be the last off the line!!:(

97 Buffalo Etch.jpg

I won't know any more until I get back from Oregon!!:rolleyes:

13. Augie

Aug 23, 2014

Thats going to be a stunning knife Charlie.

14. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Handsome! :thumbsup:

It's just the shield which the 2019 Forum Knife should have been given too;)

Augie likes this.
  15. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks John and Will!! I agree with everything you'all said!!:D

Will Power likes this.
  16. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    97 CC African Blackwood sure did raise my eyebrows, I hope I get in, I've had better luck with true black with this one.

17. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    wish it came with just one pull, the long pull only,

[​IMG]

Charlie convince Bill to take the nail nick off for your run :D:D:D

18. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    Got mine today. Beautiful knife, great wood, nice fit and finish. The pull is too light for a big knife. For the price I'm not complaining.
    [​IMG]

19. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    My ebony is in my mailbox 1500 miles from me.

20. Augie

Aug 23, 2014
    Hey Rob, nice knife, how does the pull compare to your old one? The old one I have has about the same pull as the 97.