...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

My ebony 97 just arrived. I gave it a quick look over before heading out to run some errands. The fit and finish is perfect with some of the nicest ebony I have seen to date. The walk and talk is great with a pull a bit on the softer side. Absolutely no blade play and perfect centering. Definitely a 5-star knife.

Last edited:
My Ebony showed today as well. It’s a BEAUTIFUL knife, but as many have mentioned the action is pretty poor. It has a very light pull which is ok but not ideal IMO. The real disappointment is the overall action. Mine has 0 walk n talk going from half stop to open. I have to apply constant pressure during the opening process. If I stop applying pressure from half stop to full open the blade stays where it is;

4BhLcNB.jpg

I like more about the knife than I dislike, but definitely not GEC’s best effort.

My Ebony showed today as well. It’s a BEAUTIFUL knife, but as many have mentioned the action is pretty poor. It has a very light pull which is ok but not ideal IMO. The real disappointment is the overall action. Mine has 0 walk n talk going from half stop to open. I have to apply constant pressure during the opening process. If I stop applying pressure from half stop to full open the blade stays where it is;

4BhLcNB.jpg

I like more about the knife than I dislike, but definitely not GEC’s best effort.

Yikes. I've had very few knives that didn't snap open from that point...

I hope it improves with flushing, oiling, and cycling.

Same experience as others. Pull is laughably weak and blade is off center.

I saw your comment on my instagram post saying the same. Hope the AMKCAs are good to go!

I'm with Knifeswapper on the pulls.

The pull and walk n talk on mine iscequal to or better than my Case Panama trapper, and my Case folding hunter. Close to my GEC 98 Cattle knives.

I'm very happy with mine. Probably will buy another. Just can't decide which one.

Yikes. I've had very few knives that didn't snap open from that point...

I hope it improves with flushing, oiling, and cycling.

I saw your comment on my instagram post saying the same. Hope the AMKCAs are good to go!

I was hoping since mine is an American Whittler shorter run I'd be good to go too, but no. Luck of the draw I guess.

I spent a LOT of time wandering the tables of the Oregon Knife Show this last weekend and I attempted to handle any old Coke Bottle that I came across (there were many).

Some of the things I noted:
  • This pattern was used hard. All of the examples I came across were heavily sharpened, had broken or cracked covers, and missing bails (for the ones that had them originally).
  • Every single one of them had a lighter pull, very few had any blade play though. So, either hard use loosened the pivot some or they simply did not get made with heavy pulls.
  • It was fun to see a lot of the details that GEC incorporated in their version that came from the older examples. Saber ground blades, long pulls (some of them match strike even), dark wood covers. I also came across a couple lockback versions and one with a swing guard.
It was a neat experience and I am very happy to have the opportunity to own one made by GEC. I think they made a fine example.

It was entertaining to talk to Chris from GEC though. She seemed almost exasperated and most definitely surprised that they received such a massive order of these 97s, 5000+.

5000 is a really massive order ;) At least this pattern won't have supply problems or after sale mega inflation ;):D Hope the Sambar stock isn't going to be exhausted by these huge knives :eek:

Back