1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

...And a large Coke. GEC 97 Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Stropping Young Lad, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    As to size when I was growing up on a mid-west farm, I carried a German Bower coke bottle everyday in a front Levis pocket. Never seemed too big to me.

2. biomed

biomed Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2015
    My ebony 97 just arrived. I gave it a quick look over before heading out to run some errands. The fit and finish is perfect with some of the nicest ebony I have seen to date. The walk and talk is great with a pull a bit on the softer side. Absolutely no blade play and perfect centering. Definitely a 5-star knife.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  3. JOELSM

JOELSM

Aug 30, 2007
    My Ebony showed today as well. It’s a BEAUTIFUL knife, but as many have mentioned the action is pretty poor. It has a very light pull which is ok but not ideal IMO. The real disappointment is the overall action. Mine has 0 walk n talk going from half stop to open. I have to apply constant pressure during the opening process. If I stop applying pressure from half stop to full open the blade stays where it is;

[​IMG]

I like more about the knife than I dislike, but definitely not GEC’s best effort.

4. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Joel flush it several times with lighter fluid, lube it and work it a lot.
    Mine was similar at first and after that treatment it continues to improve.

rockman0 and JOELSM like this.
  5. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Same experience as others. Pull is laughably weak and blade is off center.

6. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Yikes. I've had very few knives that didn't snap open from that point...

I hope it improves with flushing, oiling, and cycling.

I saw your comment on my instagram post saying the same. Hope the AMKCAs are good to go!

7. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    I'm with Knifeswapper on the pulls.

The pull and walk n talk on mine iscequal to or better than my Case Panama trapper, and my Case folding hunter. Close to my GEC 98 Cattle knives.

I'm very happy with mine. Probably will buy another. Just can't decide which one.

8. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    I was hoping since mine is an American Whittler shorter run I'd be good to go too, but no. Luck of the draw I guess.

L.H.S likes this.
  9. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Just paid for my stag. Nicely matched but have to wait until it's in hand before judging.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  10. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Joeradza, can you share who got their stag knives in?

11. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    I had a reservation with Mike Latham at collectorknives.com

12. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    .net

LastRodeo and BigKurtHaze like this.
  13. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    Oops. Sorry Mike.

14. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Thanks, that's where I have the Yellow Rose reservation.

joeradza likes this.
  15. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I really do like the look of that Banner Shield. I might see if I can snag one of these.

[​IMG]

bosh and Elgatodeacero like this.
  16. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I spent a LOT of time wandering the tables of the Oregon Knife Show this last weekend and I attempted to handle any old Coke Bottle that I came across (there were many).

Some of the things I noted:
    • This pattern was used hard. All of the examples I came across were heavily sharpened, had broken or cracked covers, and missing bails (for the ones that had them originally).
    • Every single one of them had a lighter pull, very few had any blade play though. So, either hard use loosened the pivot some or they simply did not get made with heavy pulls.
    • It was fun to see a lot of the details that GEC incorporated in their version that came from the older examples. Saber ground blades, long pulls (some of them match strike even), dark wood covers. I also came across a couple lockback versions and one with a swing guard.
    It was a neat experience and I am very happy to have the opportunity to own one made by GEC. I think they made a fine example.

It was entertaining to talk to Chris from GEC though. She seemed almost exasperated and most definitely surprised that they received such a massive order of these 97s, 5000+.

Fodderwing, Ebbtide, JohnDF and 2 others like this.
  17. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Just paid New River Knives for my Stag 97
    Edited to add New River's supplied photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Harry

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Pgg365247, Ramrodmb, dc50 and 11 others like this.
  18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    5000 is a really massive order ;) At least this pattern won't have supply problems or after sale mega inflation ;):D Hope the Sambar stock isn't going to be exhausted by these huge knives :eek:

Travman likes this.
  19. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    The Waynorth version will be the last to come off.

HEMI 49 likes this.
  20. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    GEC Web site must be showing a pre production of the Waynorth model.

CC Coke.jpg