angel sword

I am just a dabbler with a small collection of swords and an interest in edged tools and weaponry. I am not a practitioner.

I have two cruciform Angel Swords in Bright Knight, S7 steel, both weighing less than three pounds. They were purchased in the early 1990s when the cost was a fraction of what he is charging now and many of his designs were lighter and more practical, than the Angel Swords being offered now.

Inspired by this thread, I just checked out the Angelsword website after a hiatus of about 20 years. The website appears to have deteriorated since then. It is less user friendly than when I formerly viewed it, the designs are fewer, less practical and more fantasy driven and the prices have gone sky high.

None of the Angel Swords I have seen including my own, had anywhere near the fit, finish or attention to detail compared to many makers who charge much less. And, as has been mentioned, Angel Swords are not based on specific historical models.

FWIW, both of my AngelSwords take a keen edge and have stood up to all the hacking and chopping I subjected them to in contrast to some of my cheaper swords and one Albion which dented under the same impacts on plywood. I never used them on metal, concrete or did any extreme torture tests. Also, both my Angel Swords have a POB very close to the guard; about 1" and 1/2" respectively. The handling characteristics can be somewhat altered by moving one's grip back on the hand-and-a-half handles if desired.

I still enjoy my two Angel Swords but will not purchase another considering the changes in design and price.

Last edited:
Dude, quit it, you are making me laugh..... a lot.....it's embarassing.

I support the free flow of information....but it isn't free to maintain BladeForums. If someone has a general question, I'll help out.

If it is something in my range of "expertise" and there is research required, possibly names and addresses requested, there will be nothing from my end if the originating question comes from a non-paying member.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I understand that sir hence the last part about how nothing is free...was not trying to attack anyone just making a general statement

now if only the pictures will get posted....

Shamelessly stolen from Bernard Levine's forum...

To post a picture:

a: Upload or FTP it to your webspace. Your Internet Service Provider probably provides you with 5 or 10 MB of free space; if not, use a free photo-host site such as:
http://www.photobucket.com or http://www.photopoint.com

b: click in the address window of the picture's web page to copy the picture's URL using CTRL-C.

c: Use *file|open* to check that this is the correct URL. (Paste the URL into the file|open dialogue box using CTRL-V, then click go and see what happens.)

d: Then come to the forum, click on POST REPLY at the top of an earlier post, (or POST NEW TOPIC -- if it is a completely new topic; ALWAYS USE REPLY TO ADD A PICTURE OR REPLY TO AN EXISTING THREAD).

e: In the message window, paste the url. THEN

f: bracket the URL with the *UBB image codes.

UBB uses [ ] not < >

Don't forget the /slash in the closing tag only.

But first you need to upload your pictures, and make sure you have the URL's correct.

Note: clicking the "Picture Postcard" button on the reply page (under the size arrow) will automatically add the IMG tags. Just paste your pic's URL in the interactive window, after clicking the Image link.

Alternately you can use the Manage Attachments button (below the reply window) to directly upload an image file from your hard drive. But attached images are a nuisance to forum users. Use in line images if you can.

hi,
am triying to put the pic,i dont get the URL

i dont enderstand

any one can help whit this

i also have a sword from the head hunter i purchase it from the museum
i would love to put up ,my colection

i have over 40 philipino sword frome the highes grade,that date back 150 years ago

thanks for your time

qwestion to member

if i was to buy a 5000$ katana were would you buy it

thanks

Send me an email, I'll try to help: blades67(AT)gmail.com

Jason

For all of you "I got" or "I have" if you say you own an Angel Sword could you please post up owner photos! I would love to see his work:thumbup:

I am blown away that this guy is still in business. He and some of his "sales" staff actually threatened myself and my brother-in-law at a Ren festival in TX. The owner is a jerk and his work is extremely overpriced, but that has already been said over and over...

Just saying the guy sucks.

Angel still has a following and its own board for support. Support, however one might care to note it or describe its character. I know Ruel will forever rue his even mentioning his pencil slim tang example and I do recall him making whatever arrangement necessary to try to put it all behind us.

Somewhere within a fairly long thread about the 2005 February show is a discussion of Watson's wares and table. Aside from the proprietary forum for Angel, myArmoury may have related more discussion than any of the other various boards.
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3180

I could not really endorse or deny anyone's appeal or fascination with money spent for Angel Sword products. They do seem to have a following. Then again, there is a following here for the anachronistic and often clumsy looking "high end" swords being hailed as manna from heaven and "must haves"

Participation and support at this board is certainly anyone's individual fancy to follow. Completely aside from the Angel Sword discussion, support of this board seems somewhat paramount but my own (tiny involvements here) read more that most that are Gold members had elected to for the perks and perhaps my own poor perception that the majority do more so for the sales than anything else.

Cheers

GC

occasional reader and participant

I dont think I could ever give DW even a $1 of my money after my dealings with him trying to get a custom sword made (before I was educated on makers worth sending my hard earned cash), I went to Odin Blades and I know I'm more satisfied then I even would have been putting my money into that company, how you treat people reflects on your reputation as a man and businessman...as another on this forum said when we were discussing DW, you buy the smith as much as the sword you've commissioned. I made a great friend when I bought my sword, it was a bonus that he sent me a sword that has handled anything I threw at it over the past 6 years.

A good lot of people would send DW back if they bought him...no offense to those that have bought from him, but my dealing with AS like 7 years ago still have me glad I've never met the guy in person.

i looked over the website, but still don't get it. what is "living steel"? i did learn what differentially carburized is, but i'd like to learn two things today. that way, i don't have to learn anything, tomorrow :D

i have never seen one, in person. so, i won't say that they are or aren't worth it. i do know that i (personally) would never spend $9,000. for a katana (there's really one on the site for that) even if i hit the lotto UNLESS it was a piece with some legitimate historical value. you know, like Musashi's sword or something along those lines.

but PLEASE, someone tell me what this whole "living steel" is. thanx

i looked over the website, but still don't get it. what is "living steel"? i did learn what differentially carburized is, but i'd like to learn two things today. that way, i don't have to learn anything, tomorrow :D

i have never seen one, in person. so, i won't say that they are or aren't worth it. i do know that i (personally) would never spend $9,000. for a katana (there's really one on the site for that) even if i hit the lotto UNLESS it was a piece with some legitimate historical value. you know, like Musashi's sword or something along those lines.

but PLEASE, someone tell me what this whole "living steel" is. thanx

Sales gimmick...end of story. :thumbup:

what is "living steel"?

Sub neurotic biological orgasm infused steel edge that feeds off of living Homo sapiens when touched, it tends to attack the O Positive blood type more aggressive than other blood types.:eek:

i have never seen one, in person. so, i won't say that they are or aren't worth it. i do know that i (personally) would never spend $9,000. for a katana (there's really one on the site for that) even if i hit the lotto UNLESS it was a piece with some legitimate historical value. you know, like Musashi's sword or something along those lines.but PLEASE, someone tell me what this whole "living steel" is. thanx

musashi was a swordsman, masamune was probably the name you were looking for;)
http://www.jp-sword.com/files/masamune/masamune.html

9k wouldn't even get you in the door for a "historical" ( I guess that can me subjective), but it would get you a fantasticly well mounted sword that would put AS to shame.

For $250 more ($9250) you could have an amazing blade by Enomoto Sadayoshi... Google "Enomoto Sadayoshi" and first hit is a sword by him, I consider him to be the greatest Japanese smith of the modern age. Oh and doing some more googling I found an early mei Enomoto blade for under $5k.

His reputation will last 1000+ years, much like the greats of feudal Japan. :)

Last edited:
musashi was a swordsman, masamune was probably the name you were looking for;)
http://www.jp-sword.com/files/masamune/masamune.html

9k wouldn't even get you in the door for a "historical" ( I guess that can me subjective), but it would get you a fantasticly well mounted sword that would put AS to shame.

i meant Miyamoto Musashi, the "swordsman" and the author of the book of 5 rings. i don't know about the other guy (Masamune). i was just saying a sword USED by a historically significant fighter would warrant (imho) that kind of scratch. otherwise, i'd stick with a piece say.... aproximately one Hyundai cheaper.

and i'm sure 9G wouldn't touch something of that nature, i'm just saying i wouldn't drop more than a grand on something that did NOT have some type of historical value. then again, i'm fine with swords in the sub 500 bracket, carry a $400 gun, and drive a $12,000 car. so, maybe i'm just a cheap skate :D

ETA - i notice, on the AS site, they claim to have "the world's toughest steel", but Cold Steel claims to have "the world's strongest, sharpest knives". i think a Cut Off is order :D a lot of manila rope, a lot of dead animals, only one will prevail :)

Last edited:
i meant Miyamoto Musashi, the "swordsman" and the author of the book of 5 rings. i don't know about the other guy (Masamune). i was just saying a sword USED by a historically significant fighter would warrant (imho) that kind of scratch. otherwise, i'd stick with a piece say.... aproximately one Hyundai cheaper.

and i'm sure 9G wouldn't touch something of that nature, i'm just saying i wouldn't drop more than a grand on something that did NOT have some type of historical value. then again, i'm fine with swords in the sub 500 bracket, carry a $400 gun, and drive a $12,000 car. so, maybe i'm just a cheap skate :D

ETA - i notice, on the AS site, they claim to have "the world's toughest steel", but Cold Steel claims to have "the world's strongest, sharpest knives". i think a Cut Off is order :D a lot of manila rope, a lot of dead animals, only one will prevail :)

I'd rather see LT and DW fight it out with their said toughest swordz in the whole internets:D

Sub neurotic biological orgasm infused steel edge that feeds off of living Homo sapiens when touched, it tends to attack the O Positive blood type more aggressive than other blood types.:eek:

I think I might have some of that orgasm infused steel... going out to the shop to make sure... some of has definitely fed off of my blood already but luckily I'm A something..

I guess there's no such thing as bad publicity... this thread made me so curious as to visit the angelsword website, where the videos apparently don't work and a flex test is supposed to prove toughness, but if they can really achieve 250 ftlb in a charpy test at RC57 that is impressive.

My "don't believe everything you read" meter pegged out there. I got a kick out of that graph - they charpy tested their own magically treated steel, but took the data for the other steels right from Crucible forge.

I looked over their stuff at a local Ren Faire and frankly I like the way some of their swords feel in hand. However, there are two truths which I believe are self evident: first, there is not and has never been a magic steel, if it can be forged it can be bent or broken; and second, it is exceedingly unlikely that I will ever participate in a real sword fight, and if I did the result would be the same whether I were holding the one true Excalibur, or something made by Nerf.

To spend this much for a sword, it would have to be competently made and suitable for display. They may or may not be functional, but the level of finish seems more suitable to something forged by clumsy orcs on the darkest night of the year. The things were painful to look at, and many models could have been inspired by the stuff in a Bud-K catalog.

BTW, I don't know who the Angel sword sales guy was, but he was boasting of participating in Ren Faire demostration duels with live blades, and purposely destroying his opponents swords. The man's audacity was surpased only by his stupidity, and were any of this true (unlikely) I could only wonder why he was still breathing.

n2s

Last edited:
Back