Any Interest in a BESS Sharpness Competition?

I've been wondering myself, but no rush.

Really, I'm so busy I can just see a light in the tunnel, but I know it's a train's headlights.

Last edited:
Just happened on this thread and am looking forward to the friendly competition. Hope you guys detail your process.
I loooove a sharp blade. Been sharpening my str8s and knives for over 40 years, but you guys sound way out of my league.

Sorry, carry on.

Been sharpening my str8s and knives for over 40 years, but you guys sound way out of my league.

Not I. I used a straight razor for a while but gave it up because I couldn't consistently make an edge I wanted to shave with. I will do my best in this competition but I expect to be trounced by Diemaker. Seffrey is simply unknown to me; no disrespect.

Not I. I used a straight razor for a while but gave it up because I couldn't consistently make an edge I wanted to shave with. I will do my best in this competition but I expect to be trounced by Diemaker. Seffrey is simply unknown to me; no disrespect.
Meh, razors and knives are 2 different animals. Some might argue that str8 razors are almost not worth the effort anymore (a bit like calligraphy). Nonetheless, very enjoyable.

eta, go get 'em!

Last edited:
Anyone received their blades yet?

I'm intrigued - great idea for a thread.
Not yet here. I am sure if anyone else had they would be talking about it, I know I would be. I am also sure Shawn will let us know when they ship so we will be on the lookout.

I Got buried with work and family.

A nice update is that I am official

NI2qVI6.png

Some refelections from me when using my PT50A.

• Its important where you cut that wire. More to the edges of the holder gives lower value.
  • As mentioned already, the tension of the wire.
  • To place the holder in absolute center of hole on the scale. When not in center it might touch the black plate and it gives lower readings. Place the holder, push on the black plate around it. If scale reads, reposition the holder.
  • The speed of the blade when pushed down. Faster gives lower readings.

Some refelections from me when using my PT50A.

• Its important where you cut that wire. More to the edges of the holder gives lower value.
  • As mentioned already, the tension of the wire.
  • To place the holder in absolute center of hole on the scale. When not in center it might touch the black plate and it gives lower readings. Place the holder, push on the black plate around it. If scale reads, reposition the holder.
  • The speed of the blade when pushed down. Faster gives lower readings.
I have the PT50B but your observations apply. The other thing I'd note is that angle of the blade also matters. The more perpendicular the blade, the better the score. It takes practice to get consistent results. When I first got the machine, I was getting wildly inconsistent readings. After hundreds of tests I'm now getting very consistent results.

I'd love to play if there's a spot open.

1.Name, Age?:
Adam, 59

2. How long have you been a sharpener?
I've sharpened knives my whole life, but just got seriously into it this year.

3. Preferred method of sharpening? (Freehand, belt sander, Edge Pro, WE, TSPROF etc)
Depends on the blade. EDC I use a KME with CGSW bonded diamond. Kitchen knives sometimes freehand and sometimes Ken Onion Grinder.

4. What type of blades/knives/tools do you normally sharpen?
Kitchen knives and folding knives.

5. What's your go to edge angle and stone progression for knives you normally use?
16° for good steel or 17-18° for softer kitchen cutlery.

6. Excited to be here? What brought you to the competition?
Hell yeah! I've always loved knives and have always been disappointed with my sharpening results, so this year I decided to go all in working to improve my knowledge/skill/results.

7. Have you used a BESS tester?
Absolutely. It's a great tool to improve sharpening skills.

8. Do you own a BESS tester? What model?
Yes -- PT50B

What became of this contest?
Posting into the thread as a follow.
With the number of members that posted into this thread, one would think this question would have answered within a day (yesterday/today) ..., Hmmm ?
I did a search of this forum (Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment) for "BESS Sharpness Competition" assuming possibly that everybody moved to a new thread (which would not really make sense considering the way Shawn set this up, to document beginning to end with end being a "live video" of results testing), but only one result (this dead thread). Then searched the entire forum, still only one result. Hmmm ... ?

Life happens, hobbies get put on backburner when life events happen.

The contest comes completely out of my pocket and my pockets had to go to other things.

So yea, CDHumiston CDHumiston funny, funny funny.

Thanks for the reply Shawn!

Does this indicate the OP subject is dead with no future resuscitation plans, on-hold awaiting funding options, or ...?

From the interest witnessed, I am pretty sure many on this forum would be willing to contribute to the project to help offset costs ...
If for no other reason the potential that some modicum of testing standards could become established. Just one example, already discussed in the thread, is how media is loaded (BESS) to effect consistent test sampling (100g tension 3.5oz). How and where the media holder (aka test fixture) is placed onto the scale, etc. From what I have witnessed on various forum sites, as related to test results, it seems the goal of many that are using this tester are to simply score low values vs. achieve accurate and comparable results (early on it was obvious, to me at least, that a user could simply increase media tension to reduce a test value (unfairly aka inaccurately), just as the specific placement of the test fixture can effect values returned.

Additionally, with the recent introduction of test apparatus to not only test a push cut, but now an apparatus for testing slice-cuts it seems a terrible situation to let this die.

If on the other hand, the fact that this thread laid idle for seven months before resurrection is an indication nobody cares ..., that would be a shame ;-(

I appreciate ALL your contributions to the community, and Thank You!

Life happens, hobbies get put on backburner when life events happen.

The contest comes completely out of my pocket and my pockets had to go to other things.

So yea, CDHumiston CDHumiston funny, funny funny.

The only reason I stated this seems to be quite funny was the only reply I received was a couple people clicking the like button with the laughing face...

It was no reflection on you or the contest. I merely wanted to know if it was still happening because I was interested. I recently purchased a Sharp PT50B and a TSPROF sharpening system and thought this contest would be cool...

That being said, is the idea dead? Would outside contributions help?

Back