Any Interest in a BESS Sharpness Competition?

That is understood. Since I got a tester just like the one that will be used I want to duplicate as many of the test conditions that will be used, I suspect tensioning the filament will be a big one. I found someone making a 100-gram clip-on weight to tension the filament and I figure Shawn didn't come up with this on his own so I was wondering where this came from. I didn't find it on Edge-on-up's website or tester manual.
Can you share a link to the clip-on weight please? I’d like to check it out. Tensioning always seems subjective on mine.

It was just someone who got some spring loaded clips, a 100 gram test weight, and tied them together. If there is any demand I can make a few extras when I do mine. I just need to find some nice clips to use and a nice way to attach them to an aluminum weight I lathe up from bar. I have a scale that measures to .01 grams so I can get the weight of the assembly just right. Those clips in Shawn's video look real nice!

It was just someone who got some spring loaded clips, a 100 gram test weight, and tied them together. If there is any demand I can make a few extras when I do mine. I just need to find some nice clips to use and a nice way to attach them to an aluminum weight I lathe up from bar. I have a scale that measures to .01 grams so I can get the weight of the assembly just right. Those clips in Shawn's video look real nice!
Awesome. I would be happy to buy one! Maybe some others on the BESS forum would be interested too. Thanks!

I'm pretty bored of the same old stuff over and over again on the forum, I think it would be fun to spice it up.

I've been thinking about how cool it would be to have an online event where sharpeners can test there skills in some friendly competition where we can all see edges being tested and we all can learn something new.

I'm just thinking out loud about it here,
I would not be competing but rather running the event and test the blades on the BESS Tester.

Perhaps we can run a batch of blades in the same HT, steel and geometry.
(If I have time)

Send out the blades to the contestants and than get them all back for a live test video.

Any thoughts? Does this sound fun to anyone?

-Shawn
I'm in

I registered my PT50A yesterday and asked if they recommended tensioning the test fiber and that I had heard of 100 grams but couldn't confirm. Their response was yes, 100 grams. So it looks like it is official.

I did rig up a weight and clip, weight without the string is 99.98 grams, and find it way easier to load the filament with much less waste so it's something I will make and offer on my website when time permits.

Shawn, take your time. My hole was only a foot deep but now it's back to no light at the end of the tunnel.

I registered my PT50A yesterday and asked if they recommended tensioning the test fiber and that I had heard of 100 grams but couldn't confirm. Their response was yes, 100 grams. So it looks like it is official.

I did rig up a weight and clip, weight without the string is 99.98 grams, and find it way easier to load the filament with much less waste so it's something I will make and offer on my website when time permits.

Shawn, take your time. My hole was only a foot deep but now it's back to no light at the end of the tunnel.
Awesome. Consider me your first customer whenever it’s ready

D Diemaker
S Seffrey
M Mr.Wizard

T008d9S.jpg

LVv3bXE.jpg

Back