Any Interest in a BESS Sharpness Competition?

Shawn, how much do we get to grind on your blades? Are you selling these when we are done or what? I ask because I would like to experiment with some ultra low angles but don't want to cause you a problem after we are done with it.
I'm not concerned about that, give it your best, whatever you choose.

D Diemaker There is a small piece of phenolic composite sheet I have that I would like to try for holding diamond compound. I haven't been able to cut it myself. Would you be willing to mill this into Edge Pro size blanks for me? This may be my best hope to not fail this challenge.

D Diemaker There is a small piece of phenolic composite sheet I have that I would like to try for holding diamond compound. I haven't been able to cut it myself. Would you be willing to mill this into Edge Pro size blanks for me? This may be my best hope to not fail this challenge.
While I technically could I wouldn't want to use any of my current cutters on phenolic. I ONLY use them on aluminum and if I used them on anything else it would affect them negatively. This really isn't BS, cutting tools last much longer if you only cut one type of material with them, whether aluminum or plastic. Steel uses different grinds so those tools don't work well on aluminum or plastic anyway. EP uses a table saw to cut the ends on their stone holders so it

I really think leather or paper sounds like the way to go anyway. I don't think phenolic will have enough "cushion" for the finer grits. I think that is all I will be playing with as I don't have time to make holders for anything new, which I am not complaining about.

BJDeamr.jpg

Starting on the grinds

Update on details when done.

D Diemaker
@Seffrey
M Mr.Wizard

I've been wondering how it's going. No rush though since I'm swamped through next Thursday.

Well, I finally opened the box to my new Edge On Up tester and played with it a little tonight. I sharpened a HAP40 Delica Shawn gave me a few years ago with his special thin grind. At 10 dps stropped with 1-micron diamond loaded leather I got a score of 55. I then stropped it with bare leather and got 53. Next, I will get some strops with the finer diamond set up and see what that does.

How is it going Shawn? No rush, just wondering.

Pretty awesome to see this thread taking off. Can't wait for the results and I hope there are a few more rounds. :)

Well, I finally opened the box to my new Edge On Up tester and played with it a little tonight. I sharpened a HAP40 Delica Shawn gave me a few years ago with his special thin grind. At 10 dps stropped with 1-micron diamond loaded leather I got a score of 55. I then stropped it with bare leather and got 53. Next, I will get some strops with the finer diamond set up and see what that does.

How is it going Shawn? No rush, just wondering.
Soon, was waiting for my belt order to come in and had to ship things.

Shawn, where do you get the tension the filament to 100 grams from? It looks like that is something I need to rig up for consistency but can't find any info on it elsewhere.

Shawn, where do you get the tension the filament to 100 grams from? It looks like that is something I need to rig up for consistency but can't find any info on it elsewhere.
I think you've misunderstood, for consistency Shawn is going to be doing all the BESS testing himself after you guys are done sharpening.

I think you've misunderstood, for consistency Shawn is going to be doing all the BESS testing himself after you guys are done sharpening.
That is understood. Since I got a tester just like the one that will be used I want to duplicate as many of the test conditions that will be used, I suspect tensioning the filament will be a big one. I found someone making a 100-gram clip-on weight to tension the filament and I figure Shawn didn't come up with this on his own so I was wondering where this came from. I didn't find it on Edge-on-up's website or tester manual.

Back