Anybody else think that Atwood tools are overpriced and silly?

I know this thread isn't going to win me any friends, but I was able to get a hold of an Atwood tool and the fact that people are clamoring for these things at the price they're going for bewilders me. There are tools that go for ten times less than these things that are just as useful.

The fanbase is kind of puzzling as well.

You are not alone. I too have wondered at the prices for them, and can't understand the interest. Crazy.

I got one a few years back as a gift and quickly came to the conclusion it was nowhere near as useful as my plain ol' SAK Cadet. Factor in the price and I'll take a SAK every single time.

I got a couple back in 2004-5 , prices were more reasonable , and availability was better . They have saved the tips of my tacticools a time or two . The one I used to EDC had a Strider Spanner wrench on it . Came in handy a few times . While I don't think I would buy one now , I have enjoyed mine , and got good use out of them . Now most of the time I use the cap lifter of my SAK .

Chris

They are hand made, from titanium, and Mr. Atwood has to make a living. So while there might be a bit of "what the market will bear" in the pricing, handmade anything will always be more expensive than production models stamped out by the thousands. Personally, I think they are cool looking but I almost always carry a full size multitool so I never felt the need to buy an Atwood tool.

We are on a forum where people easily spend hundreds of dollars on a knife.

We (mostly) guys, we like shiny doodads. But no, personally I do not own or have much of a desire for an Atwood. My $5.00 mini widgy from CC works well enough for me.

I've had an early prybaby on my keychain for years. It doesn't get much use but it has been handy. The little County Comm prybars would do as well, of course. I bet if he got a contract with a production company that could make him as much money stamping out cheaper versions, they would sell quite well.

I've seen other models I might like but I don't feel like spending that kind of money. However, that kind of money is relative to one's personal income, and I assure you, we have people here who have no reason to find his toys expensive at all. :)

I've considered getting one several times. Are they a bit pricey for a prying tool, well yeah I suppose so. However, there have been several products that I have purchased just because the person has a name or is identified with "the fold" that is the knife/pocket tool industry. I see knife/multi knuts as a largely misunderstood fraternity, and every unique product has a story to pass along to people that might shy away from our hobby. My buying/collecting has long moved past the "need" of anything new.

That said, I have never actually been able to get my hands on a Prybaby as every time I find one I like and have a couple extra bucks, they are sold out:D For now, my Gerber Artifact is filling the role quite nicely and at a very reasonable price point of $10.00. I'd still trade it in for an Atwood given the chance;)

For me, they are overpriced. I'll do just fine with an Alox SAK in which the main screwdriver is plenty sturdy as a pry bar. Considering the overall short length of one of the Atwood tools, prying strength is probably just as good as a Soldier/Pioneer SAK that has a longer handle. And the SAK has other tools you can use.
In this economy I'm glad someone has found a very profitable niche. Obviously his tools are worth that much to someone and that's all that matters. They seem very well built indeed.
I will add that the one person I know who has a standard Atwood turned his nose up at my SAK Pioneer which I think most will agree is more practical.

Mr Atwood's tool are very cool and considering the time it takes to make them I don't think they are overpriced. I am amazed that people buy them though when one can buy a Gerber Artifact for $10 that is (IMO) more capable than most Atwood tools.

I have made several Atwood-like tools and (except for a 2inch prybar I made) I found them difficult to EDC and nothing like as handy as other tools I could carry. Fun to show off though and perhaps that's the draw.

I know this thread isn't going to win me any friends... The fanbase is kind of puzzling as well.

No, it won't win you any friends. In fact, it's won you at least one enemy who thinks it's in poor taste to attack a maker's work, not because it didn't work as designed, but because you don't like the asking price and you feel like taking a gratuitous shot at the people who'll pay it.

This thread is a troll.

No, it won't win you any friends. In fact, it's won you at least one enemy who thinks it's in poor taste to attack a maker's work, not because it didn't work as designed, but because you don't like the asking price and you feel like taking a gratuitous shot at the people who'll pay it.

He asked a substantive, relevant question and you get your panties in a knot.

People collect them because: 1.) they appreciate a well-executed, useful tool and 2.) they have extra money sitting around and like to collect them.

Peter makes a great product and has found a niche that his tools fit into very well. There have been some valid criticisms raised in the past ("why is he using stainless cutlery steel for a mini pry bar tool that could benefit from a tougher tool steel?").

You have to snatch them up quick or you'll be forced to buy them on the secondary market. He's taking a Busse-like approach to manufacturing and selling his items and that puts some people off (note the numerous bitchy threads that come up about Busse selling practices).

I like the Ti original Prybaby and the newer stuff he's doing with 3V. :)

This thread is a troll.

I've noticed a lot of your posts where you attack people and get super defensive, And always claim them to be trolls because of their opinion. This is a simple discussion. Chill out. No need to get all huffy on a forum.

I also think they are way over priced and not that appealing. But that's MY Opinion.

I wouldn't sweat it, Phil. Multitool guys are a different kind of breed;) We come in various shapes and styles. Some of us, like myself, feel compelled to collect and gather all the various tools lest we are missing something that we might NEED one day;) To use, tools are a sickness. I practically fret over what tool to put in my pocket or lash to my belt on a daily basis.

Others are very practical minded like the OP and other that have chimed in. They simply want a tool that can do whatever they need. If that tool can come in a lower price point than another one, then they see no reason to purchase the higher dollar one. That's cool too:)

Some of the minimalist folks like a tool that does as many functions at it can crammed into the smallest lightest space. Anything more is a waste to them. I can dig that too.

Now, the OP might have come off as a bit combative, but that just a social thing. No big deal. Mr. Atwood has a fan following. He's not going when everyone over though. To me, I am more worried about a $10 Gerber offering cutting in on his market than a couple of guys that don't find his product's price/value/function desirable. Especially when I have said $10 offering riding in my pocket at this moment.

I'm with Esav on this one. If he were to find a mass manufacture to offer a more cost effective version, he'd be onto something i think. I would gladly give up my cheap Chinese Gerber for one of his pieces if I could get one readily and at a good price point:thumbup:

This thread is a troll.

You seem to have a lot of repressed anger in your posts sometimes. Shouldn't the philosophy of martial arts, something you claim to adhere to, teach you to be more pacifistic?

Last edited:
He asked a substantive, relevant question

It was neither substantive nor relevant as stated, and he asked it knowing it was inflammatory. He could have rephrased the question in a less deliberately provocative manner, but chose not to, again knowingly.

You seem to have a lot of repressed anger in your posts sometimes. Shouldn't the philosophy of martial arts, something you claim to adhere to, teach you to be more pacifistic?

People who genuinely believe the martial arts are a philosophy of pacifism know a lot less than they believe they do.

I wouldn't sweat it, Phil. Multitool guys are a different kind of breed;) We come in various shapes and styles. Some of us, like myself, feel compelled to collect and gather all the various tools lest we are missing something that we might NEED one day;) To use, tools are a sickness...

That's fair -- and reasonable.

Atwood's tools are great but I won't bite at the prices the secondary market has them for. Back when they were more available I picked up a Wedgie5 in 3V and Basic Prybaby in S30V and they are both excellent small prytools. It is too bad the collectors have put them out of most users' reach.

People who genuinely believe the martial arts are a philosophy of pacifism know a lot less than they believe they do.

It can also be said that maybe they believe there's truly a time for force when all other options have failed, and getting your feelings hurt is not one of them.

People who genuinely believe Sharp Phil believes that the martial arts are a philosophy of pacifism didn't read the last line of his signature: For Those Who Fight Unfairly.

And now, please, let's return to the original topic of the prybaby and stop looking at each other as a crybaby. :D

Back