Anybody else think that Atwood tools are overpriced and silly?

I said :eek: when i first saw Atwood prices. Then when i found out the availability of their tools i went :grumpy:.

I really wouldn't buy (and cant anyway b/c their always "sold out") their tools until i can justify how useful they will be to me ;).

P.S. I too find their tools overpriced and silly.

Last edited:
The first time I saw an Atwood tool, I thought to myself, "That's a neat little tool; I wonder how much it costs."

Then I saw the price :eek:.

For quite a while, I thought they were absolutely absurd and ridiculous things. I still think at least some of them are.

However, I've come to a conclusion. It's absolutely great that he can make and sell such tools for such prices, and that people are willing to pay that much. His tools are handmade, original designs (to the best of my knowledge) and it's difficult and time consuming to use some of the materials he uses.

He even states on his website:
Peter Atwood said:
I want to make objects that will endure, and nothing would make me happier than for my tools and knives to be traded for hundreds of years to come!

And anyone who wants to can still pick up a "better", cheaper, or more useful tool. And to be fair, he claims to be trying to keep prices down by refusing sales to scalpers.

Really, I would expect more of us knife guys to understand. It's not really all that different than buying expensive knives, flashlights, watches, etc.

I don't think the Gerber or other cheaper, similar tools will hurt him. Chances are, anyone who would buy one of his tools but already has a Gerber, would still pick up one of his tools anyways. I wonder if it might even increase his sales by inspiring those who enjoy their Gerbers to pick up an Atwood tool.

I think his stuff is very nice looking and it's unique enough to warrant the price. I might own one if I thought I'd actually ever use it. I know people find these tiny pry-bars handy, but their use just never comes up in my day to day routine.

The little Gerber is definitely on my to get list though. Not so much for the pry-bar, but for the folding exacto blade holder. That is just too cool. Steely, how sturdy is that blade holder? Any wobble?

Radioactive,
Still in, still here. Don't want to drift this thread anymore, PM/email me and I'll answer there.

I don't think the Gerber or other cheaper, similar tools will hurt him. Chances are, anyone who would buy one of his tools but already has a Gerber, would still pick up one of his tools anyways. I wonder if it might even increase his sales by inspiring those who enjoy their Gerbers to pick up an Atwood tool.

Yeah, his sales won't be hurt by Gerber, just like Buck hasn't hurt Strider. Atwood is an established brand with high collector value.

Gibby

p.s. My Artifact is about the best $10 I've spent in quite a while.

Steely, how sturdy is that blade holder? Any wobble?

I don't notice any wobble beyond the typical flex of the xacto steel:D To be honest, the spring lock that holds the blade in is stiff as all get out. There is nothing mechanical about it. It's just a stiff piece of flexible steel with a nub that sort of pops and locks into the hole cut out in the xacto blade. Likewise, the liner lock that holds it open is quite good for what it is. I'm not crazy about the half stop at 90 degrees, but I suppose it could offer the same sort of steadying function while making a cut that a SAK offers in terms of leverage with its flat head screwdriver.

I use mine daily...mostly as a bottle opener to end the day on the right note:p One thing I really wish that they would have added was a flat head driver. The philips driver will only fit a variety of said head style. No place on the tool is straight enough or thin enough to get purchase inside the groove of a slotted screw.

I believe a reviewer on multitools.org suggested grinding the tines down on the sides of the philips head. It would still fit those screws but could also be pressed into service with a flat headed screw.

I initially did not respond to this thread because, I was certain it would get out of hand. I actually collect Atwoods and am somewhat puzzled why I do. I'd like to clarify things, at least how I perceive them, and to the best of my knowledge. Be it known that I am an excellent Atwood customer and have at least 50 of the damn things in various permutations.

1) Atwood tools are at best hand finished, not handmade.

2) Atwood tools are micro-manufactured using CNC equipment for the most part, many parts of the process are farmed out such as heat treat and certain finishes, sheaths (sometimes) and I'm sure some stuff I'm not aware of, although whistles come to mind ;).

3) Atwoods are designed by Peter, and he puts alot of work into this. His big thrill is designing, an he is perpetually coming up with new ideas which is what keeps his cult-like customer base coming back. I know, I belong to the cult.

4) Atwood uses premium materials and does a fair amount of Ti work with unique anodizing. Sometime he uses damascus and talonite which command a premium not only due to material price, but also in scarcity.

5) Batches of individual tools are typically small and there are numerous variations and occaisional one-off "collector grade" pieces.

6) Alot of the whole "Atwoodism" has to due with the "thrill of the hunt" and "luck of the draw mentality". Recently, very small batches and one-offs have been sold via a lottery, and typically there are more than ten entrants for each tool or knife available. Needless to say, on the secondary market these knives and tools command premium prices.

7) The question of "worth it" is one that has been posed numerous times and really has a simple answer which has been stated in this diatribe. The value of something is simply what the market will bear. Basic economics.

For example, I like Mercedes Benz vehicles and fortunately, I can afford them. Currently there is an R350 and a C300 4-matic sport in the family stable. Now Benz builds an AMG R63 which is an incredibly tuned crossover vehicle, with the same engine as the SL63 which sells for around $90K. I don't understand the concept of this vehicle, but they sell out. Rather quickly I might add. To me, this is certainly an example of a vehicle for somebody who has more money than brains, or is just trying to impress the country club crowd. Ours is used as an all-weather family cruiser/people/"stuff" hauler that can go through anything with a safety factor approaching an M1A1 Abrahms. Angain, value is what the market will bear. Period.

One of the the things I've mentioned on Peter's blog is that we're dealing with what I term "entry level collecting phenomenon." For what they physically are, Atwoods are certainly a bit pricey, if you are looking for "a working tool." But, the design aspects, novelty and scarcity of the product are what drives the prices. Since there are more potential buyers than product, the secondary market gets out of hand. Since this may be the first "collectible" guys are getting into, it's a whole new world. I remember when I first started collecting knives and absolutely cringed over anything more than $200 for a production piece and capped my custom limit at $500. Needless to say things have changed. Quite a bit I might add. As I write this I'm sitting behing two cabinets with Ken Steigerwalt's first Blade Show winner, and 15 other folders from Lake, Warenski, Carter, Osborne, Kious and Don Hanson, most of which are engraved and quite a few are autos. It all has to do with your resources and comfort level.

Finally, if you don't want to spend your money on something, then simply don't. Hey it's a market economy, at least for now :rolleyes:

BTW, I actually carry and use a Gerber Artifact. Great little tool for $10!;)

Last edited:
Great points, Marcangel:)

The secondary market and collectible factor do need to be taken into consideration. I mean, what is the actual worth of a rookie Babe Ruth baseball card, really? It's just an old piece of faded cardboard with a dead guy on it;)

Atwood tools are spendy, but so are knives, guns, flashlights, bassboats, golf trips, stripper clubs and all of the rest.

A car payment is spendy too, and pretty stupid actually, but most people do it rather than buying something they can afford.

So its all relative. :) I have no debt, no mortgage or car payment, and no bassboat or golfclubs. So, for me, a small Atwood collection is actually quite fun and fits in nicely in the knife-gun-light continuum of tools that allow us to manipulate our environment.

My little Atwood collection costs less than the interest that most folks squander in one month on credit cards and depreciating, leveraged vehicles. So to each his own. Thats what makes the world go 'round. :thumbup:

Picture025Medium.jpg

Picture030Medium.jpg

Picture027Medium.jpg

Awesome collection!

I agree with the OP that they're more than a little spendy, and definitely not the absolute best bang for the buck if you're looking for pure utility keychain tools.

But that's just not what these are. They're pocket art pieces, handmade, and quality enough to be used as tools.

They're not for everybody. Personally, I couldn't see spending anywhere near that much on one of his little tools.

But they sure are cool to look at. How can you argue otherwise checking out Atwood's site, or Powernoodle's collection above? :D

I don't think they are overpriced or silly, but I do have issues with the availability (actually lack of availabiity). I tried for a few weeks on a casual basis to acquire one of the tools, I'm really into titanium gear and gadgets, and I don't feel the price is terribly out of line with what you're getting, but having to check his website what seems like every few minutes around the clock for days on end to have a chance at picking one up is a bit ridiculous IMO, and this is coming from someone who has lots of expendable time every day to spend on the computer.

I'd rather see him make a batch of a couple hundred at a time (or whatever quantity is needed) and have them last for a day or three, and let the hubub die down a bit, but I guess he appreciates the fervor his fans put into acquiring his creations, and seems to foster the hard to get aspect of the game. That's his right, but frankly it isn't worth my time and frustration for "the hunt".

If a product is desired but still hard to get, this is actually an indication that it is underpriced. Price in a free market is set by the intersection of the customer's demand curve with the producer's supply curve. Price changes affect the demand, upward or downward. Equilibrium is reached (and thus an item is ideally priced) when just as many people who are willing to buy it at that price are able to get their hands on it.

They are high end keychain items, but if I wanted one to help me escape a collapsing skyscraper (the same way a metal squeegee was used to break through drywall for some people during 911), well, I can't see any of the tools doing this, no matter how much I try or want to.

I certainly appreciate Atwood tools (I have a basic prybaby), but I have second thoughts about the whole concept of keychain tools having the "oomph" in dire conditions. I hope I'm wrong as I regularly carry a Gerber Artifact and continually risk a femoral artery being pierced by my keychain tools :)

EDIT: I should add that what it's used for changes the whole discussion. Everyday convenience or mundane tasks are a different matter.

Last edited:
If a product is desired but still hard to get, this is actually an indication that it is underpriced. Price in a free market is set by the intersection of the customer's demand curve with the producer's supply curve. Price changes affect the demand, upward or downward. Equilibrium is reached (and thus an item is ideally priced) when just as many people who are willing to buy it at that price are able to get their hands on it.

Dude, that's WHY the secondary market get's out of hand.

They are overpriced and silly for me. But if Atwood has a good thing going, more power to him.

I'd wondered about the following he has. It's really no different than the following Busse or Spyderco etc have. I'm not sure there is much Atwood can do about "scalpers". We should all have this kind of problem. Maintaining his status as a maker of collectibles will be the thing that makes his products endure.

As working tools/knives, I'd say only the SOP family is comparably, even favorably, priced in relation to what other knifemakers produce.
As jewelry/toys, the entire collection is a whole lot of fun and makes me happy and that's why I have a bunch and that's why we all do this, right??????
I'm not going to extricate a car crash victim with a Bottlebug, and I also didn't help bring the cold war to a close with my Honeycombs decoder ring, but both made me feel good to have at various stages in my life......

Neat tools, just too much $$$ for me. I think he would do better making some basic tools out of lesser steel to keep costs down. Don't really need CPM 154 or whatever for a screwdriver/prybar.

P.S. I kinda find it funny that the guys using the most sophisticated language are basically having a pissing contest. Seriously what gives?

I do NOT think that they are overpriced or silly. I very much like Peter Atwood's tools, and I DO find them useful. I have a keyton & one of his whistles that lives on my key chain. I have several of his prybars, and I have a Prybaby that lives in my wallet. I LOVE his stuff.

ive had some keytons, prybabies, and a knife or two of his. as tools, they represent a horrible value. you get very little usability for the high price. I carried a prybaby then keyton for about 3 years and basically never used it. But, i liked small little doodads and enjoyed playing with them and the pleasure i got out of them was, at the time, worth the money. i sold them all.

i guess people continue to buy them for novelty (as i did) and collecting or because they feel safe in buying them (ie they could resell and probably make a profit). also, supposedly, people perceive more expensive things as being worth more. i think someone mentioned that tho (worth vs cost).

anyway, i think collecting is a stupid habit; it is especially stupid when you are collecting expensive and essentially useless things that you will leave behind when you die. better to give money to charity if your wealth bothers you.

P.S. I kinda find it funny that the guys using the most sophisticated language are basically having a pissing contest. Seriously what gives?
when you are really high up you can see far, but if you are in the clouds you cant see a thing.

EDIT 2: guess i didnt answer hte original question: i think they are overpriced and silly. others do not. america is awesome :D

Last edited:
anyway, i think collecting is a stupid habit; it is especially stupid when you are collecting expensive and essentially useless things that you will leave behind when you die. better to give money to charity if your wealth bothers you.

I agree with you.

Back