Anybody else think that Atwood tools are overpriced and silly?

Good idea. :thumbup:

Hehe.

Anyway, it seems like I'm not the only one who thinks Atwood tools are overpriced and silly.

I've since sold the Atwood tool I was speaking of for the same price I bought it for. Had no use for it since I have so many other tools that were just as useful or even moreso. They also cost me significantly less. For me personally, I like carrying around tools and not toys.

Since you got what you paid for it, it seems someone out there didn't share your opinion. :)

It's sort of like eBay:

I just won an eBay auction. By 'won,' I of course mean that I earned the right to pay more than anyone else was willing to for an item the seller didn't want. Yay me. -- http://badgods.com/ebayauction.html

I'd buy this one or one of these.I'm not crazy about cord-wrapped anything.

I like his products.Handmade,original designs.Sure they're a little pricey,but that's what you get for handmade tools.It takes time,& time costs $$:)

I have to wonder if it's ethical to sell someone something you think is silly, at a price you believe to be overpriced. One presumes that a thread like this, if not intended as trolling, is made in the hopes of warning off other potential victims of this eeevil purveyor of "silly," "overpriced" products -- yet the original poster has just admitted that, after purchasing one of these, he gladly passed it off to another hapless victim at the same presumably inflated price through which he was originally victimized.

Makes you wonder.

I'd say a lot of people have difficulty with the meaning of, and difference between, the words "worth" and "cost".

Oh, yes, just remembered, these items, (minus the keys these days), have been riding around in my EDC bag for many years.

keys.gif

I have to wonder if it's ethical to sell someone something you think is silly, at a price you believe to be overpriced. One presumes that a thread like this, if not intended as trolling, is made in the hopes of warning off other potential victims of this eeevil purveyor of "silly," "overpriced" products -- yet the original poster has just admitted that, after purchasing one of these, he gladly passed it off to another hapless victim at the same presumably inflated price through which he was originally victimized.

Makes you wonder.

?

I'm not trying to warn anybody about anything. Should people know that there are better and cheaper options out there. Yeah. But the effort is on their part to find that out. I'm just here to share my opinion about Atwood products. And it seems like there a couple others that share it with me.

I had no problem passing off my Atwood tool for the same price I bought it for because I know there are people out there that despite what you tell them are going to still be willing to pay for an Atwood tool at that particular price. I didn't profit from it nor did I care. I just wanted to see it for myself and then get rid of it since I didn't have any use for it.

Anyway, "saving people" is your job, Sharp Phil. Or at least that's what you seem to think in your head.

Is there some reason you feel the need to include unnecessary personal insults in your posts? Do you believe this bolsters your credibility?

You can't have it both ways. Either the maker's "fanbase is kind of puzzling" or you "know there are people out there that despite what you tell them are going to still be willing to pay for an Atwood tool at that particular price." Which is it?

You can't have it both ways. Either the maker's "fanbase is kind of puzzling" or you "know there are people out there that despite what you tell them are going to still be willing to pay for an Atwood tool at that particular price." Which is it?

Okay, since for some reason it's not clicking in your head. I'll try to make it clear - the fact that there's some people out there that despite what you tell them and what you show them in regards to all the other better and cheaper options, they're still going to be willing to buy an Atwood tool at the ridiculous prices they're going for. That's why I find them puzzling. Simple.

Would you care to address why you feel the need to make childish personal insults in your posts, rather than simply addressing the issues being discussed? You seem to have ignored that part.

Would you care to address why you feel the need to make childish personal insults in your posts, rather than simply addressing the issues being discussed? You seem to have ignored that part.

Because it's fun to see somebody your age get so butt-hurt over words.

I find it sad that Phil decided to take a valid discussion to a personal level. Why is it OK to say that a $50K Diamond-studded Victorinox Classic is overpriced and silly, the I colour flawless diamond costing twice as much as G colour VVS2 of double weight is overpriced and silly, and so on, but it is an attack and a troll post to ask this of a handmade tool?

In my view, the reason people pay the money for Atwoods is the same reason they pay good money money for a handmade piece, be it a painting, a knife, or a back-scratcher, by any well known master. Pride of ownership, bragging rights, and all that play a role. And, of course, they take offence when anyone challenges their extravagance!

I had one that I carried for about 5 years, maybe longer. Lost it in Afghanistan along with many other things.

First reaction was to try to replace it. However, when I saw the price they were running for now, I thought about it a bit and didn't replace it. In the 5+ years I carried it I don't think I used it more than a few times, just never had the need.

He makes very well executed gear but I don't think it fits into my life as much as other things.

Because it's fun to see somebody your age get so butt-hurt over words.

Do you really believe behavior of this type does anything but diminish you in the eyes of those who read it?

I find it sad that Phil decided to take a valid discussion to a personal level. Why is it OK to say that a $50K Diamond-studded Victorinox Classic is overpriced and silly, the I colour flawless diamond costing twice as much as G colour VVS2 of double weight is overpriced and silly, and so on, but it is an attack and a troll post to ask this of a handmade tool?

Could you link us to the thread about the diamond-studded Victorinox? If there is no such thread, your analogy is very poor.

Also, I'm not the one making personal attacks. I've simply pointed out that the original post was inflammatory and that the original poster knew that it was by his own admission.

Pride of ownership, bragging rights, and all that play a role. And, of course, they take offence when anyone challenges their extravagance!

Why would you make this about class envy?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never purchased an Atwood tool in my life, to my knowledge.

Do you really believe behavior of this type does anything but diminish you in the eyes of those who read it?

The funny thing is, you've done more to diminish yourself in the eyes of others in this thread than I have. You're the one who is quick to claim "troll" just because somebody has a different opinion than yours.

The funny thing is, you've done more to diminish yourself in the eyes of others in this thread than I have. You're the one who is quick to claim "troll" just because somebody has a different opinion than yours.

I agree with you 100%

Anyways, back to the original discussion :rolleyes:

Back