Anybody else think that Atwood tools are overpriced and silly?

I had one that I carried for about 5 years, maybe longer. Lost it in Afghanistan along with many other things.

First reaction was to try to replace it. However, when I saw the price they were running for now, I thought about it a bit and didn't replace it. In the 5+ years I carried it I don't think I used it more than a few times, just never had the need.

He makes very well executed gear but I don't think it fits into my life as much as other things.

Are you in the service? If you are, what tools do you find people in the service use often?

The funny thing is, you've done more to diminish yourself in the eyes of others in this thread than I have. You're the one who is quick to claim "troll" just because somebody has a different opinion than yours.

No, I haven't.

I called your original post a troll because, by your own admission, you made it knowing it was deliberately inflammatory. Your subsequent behavior has reinforced this impression.

This is the first time I've taken a look at them....they look pretty cool.

Regarding cost, almost 100% of the knives that I've been turned onto in this forum seem really, really expensive to people who don't have the interest or the bug. I wonder how some of my co-workers can get by with just a gerber...but they seem to do just fine. Doesn't change my appreciation for the finer things :)

The Atwood's look a little out of my price range right now, but I'd welcome one in the future.

No, I haven't.

Okay, keep believing that.

Good god, are you this grumpy and bitter in real life? You would think somebody your age that dresses up as a ninja in his avatar with his prescription glasses on would be more cheerful. But then again...

Good god, are you this grumpy and bitter in real life? You would think somebody your age that dresses up as a ninja in his avatar with his prescription glasses on would be more cheerful. But then again...

+1 on that

For the record, I don't agree with the OP's statement that Atwood tools are silly. I do agree that the usefulness per dollar ratio is a bit off but I see people spending too much money for much more useless things.

There is something wonderful about having the best of something. I have a Gerstner tool box. It cost a lot of money and it's the best. It doesn't work any better than a Kennedy but I get a huge kick out of the fact that it's mine.

You continue to make childish and unnecessary insults, and in this you continue to reinforce my assessment of your original post.

Show of hands....who thinks it's time to stay on topic? <raises hand>

OK, I think it has been established that some people find more value dollar for dollar out of Mr. Atwood's tools than others. I think it has been established that everyone is entitled to their own opinions as long as they are noninflamitory and respectful to others. I think any other banter is probably a bit uncalled for not conducive to useful dialog. These are just my opinions, though:)

Can we play nice now? The Multitool forum has always been a bit of a safe haven from some more of the dramatic forums on BFC.

=Could you link us to the thread about the diamond-studded Victorinox? If there is no such thread, your analogy is very poor.
Come on, Phil, do you really believe so, or you are just posting because you like to argue? OK, I was wrong, it's not $50K, it's $70K, sold by Victorinox HERE. Now what? Will you post an actual comment on the subject, which is what makes people puchase Atwood tools, or will you continue arguing about why such a question should not be asked?

I admire his craftsmanship and design concepts, he really did open up a little market niche all his own with it. Hope he stays in business between Gerber getting into pry bars and the cheap generics floating around, but I can't personally don't buy them. I'd love one as a functional art piece, but I currently can't afford shelling out artistic prices for a tool that could cost a few dollars function wise. They're unique heirlooms, but not in my lifestyle reach. I can justify paying extra for a tool where quality really does matter, even the cheaper brands are heads and tails over the gas station junk, but they have variables such as design,steel, strength, appearance, and general function. But a metal wedge, however you dress it up, is still a metal wedge. For now, a few countycomm pry bars is more appropriate for my uses and budget, but I wouldn't mind a pimped out Atwood for my retirement years opening bottles for company.

Atwood tools are spendy, but so are knives, guns, flashlights, bassboats, golf trips, stripper clubs and all of the rest.

A car payment is spendy too, and pretty stupid actually, but most people do it rather than buying something they can afford.

So its all relative. :) I have no debt, no mortgage or car payment, and no bassboat or golfclubs. So, for me, a small Atwood collection is actually quite fun and fits in nicely in the knife-gun-light continuum of tools that allow us to manipulate our environment.

My little Atwood collection costs less than the interest that most folks squander in one month on credit cards and depreciating, leveraged vehicles. So to each his own. Thats what makes the world go 'round. :thumbup:

Picture025Medium.jpg

Picture030Medium.jpg

Picture027Medium.jpg

I know this thread isn't going to win me any friends, but I was able to get a hold of an Atwood tool and the fact that people are clamoring for these things at the price they're going for bewilders me. There are tools that go for ten times less than these things that are just as useful.
The fanbase is kind of puzzling as well.

Because of the originality and handmade. The tools are built so good so that they become collectible. Actually, it's good for old collectors as the prices go up.

If you do not like the price, why you bought it at first place and then whining ?

Last edited:
And yet you continue to respond to tacticts you deem childish. Keep it up.

One must sometimes tell a child "No" several times before he understands. If you keep making unnecessary, childish insults rather than arguing issues, I will keep chiding you for them.

Come on, Phil, do you really believe so, or you are just posting because you like to argue? OK, I was wrong, it's not $50K, it's $70K, sold by Victorinox HERE. Now what? Will you post an actual comment on the subject, which is what makes people puchase Atwood tools, or will you continue arguing about why such a question should not be asked?

Have we established that a diamond-studded Victorinox of this type is, in fact, overpriced? What is the market value of the diamonds used? Such a product may, in fact, be "silly," but one could argue that the price is a direct function of the diamonds and therefore perfectly understandable.

What point were you trying to make with your original analogy?

Show of hands....who thinks it's time to stay on topic? <raises hand>

OK, I think it has been established that some people find more value dollar for dollar out of Mr. Atwood's tools than others. I think it has been established that everyone is entitled to their own opinions as long as they are noninflamitory and respectful to others. I think any other banter is probably a bit uncalled for not conducive to useful dialog. These are just my opinions, though:)

Can we play nice now? The Multitool forum has always been a bit of a safe haven from some more of the dramatic forums on BFC.

My original objection was simply based on the fact that the original poster both A) knew his post to be inflammatory, by his own admission within it; and B) took a gratuitous shot at the people who buy these tools, which seemed to me insulting and unnecessary. I personally am no collector of Atwood tools; that to me was not the issue. I despise these threads, regardless of forum, whose basic premise is, "Why are there people in the world who buy a product I don't like?" The fact that the original poster later admitted to having paid the very price he deems too much for the very product he deems silly just invalidates the entire presmise of the original post, in my opinion.

I have no problem at all staying on topic, but I don't see why I should not respond to childish insults when they are made unnecessarily. I have not felt it necessary to stoop to that level in making my criticisms, you will note.

Last edited:
Seems like you got way too much time on your hands Phil. I wouldn't waste my time with a long drawn out post like that. Its like 2 little annoying kids in 4th grade.

ANYWAYS.

Noodle, I like some of the Atwood designs. Not really like anything else I've come across yet. How much are those little guys? The few that I've seen were really high. Over 100$ Like the little chopper with the cord wrapped handle. I really like it.

I like Peter Atwood's work and designs, but I do agree that they cost more than I am willing to spend on such items, and in my opinion, use steels that aren't optimal for their purposes. They are, however, nifty gadgets that definitely have a 'cool factor' about them.

On a side note:
It is best to simply ignore those who feel their opinions are the only valid ones and try to derail threads. This is more of the same typical behavior from those types of posters (enter thread, insult poster/OP, rant and rave, accuse those that disagree of being trolls and of making personal attacks). People who act that way are simply seeking attention. Don't give them what they want! Do what the moderators suggest by keeping on track and report the derailers' posts if they continue their off-topic rants.;)

Regards,
3G

One must sometimes tell a child "No" several times before he understands. If you keep making unnecessary, childish insults rather than arguing issues, I will keep chiding you for them.

For some reason I can picture you arguing with a kid on the playground hours-on-end because he isn't swinging the toy sword the proper "ninja way". Wouldn't suprise me.

Like I said, the fact that you somehow think you're taking a moral high-road while continuing to engage in, what you say is, a "childish" argument is hilarious. If you don't see the absurdity of it, then you're not as intelligent as you seem to think you are. Others in this thread have already realized it. You however seem to be a little slow.

Last edited:
We now have multiple posters responding to insults with insults. It will stop now or this thread will be locked. The original premise was a bit insulting as it was phrased and it seems to have gotten the unpleasant response it was looking for.

I will not tolerate any more of this. Please note and follow the excellent advice already given:

It is best to simply ignore those who feel their opinions are the only valid ones and try to derail threads.

Back