Anyone knows what's happening with Al Mar Knives?

Saw them at SHOT Show. Japan-made is now China-made, but other than that small detail (!) I could not tell the difference. They expect to retail for about half the price.
They were pretty vague on the ETA, so it will likely be awhile.
Whatever happened at Al Mar aside, Japanese manufacturing is just getting too expensive. $400-$500 MSRP's are just not possible with this stuff.
Cold Steel and SOG have either mostly or entirely gotten out of Japan. I did not get a Japanese SOG Bowie or Trident when I could have and I wish I would have.
Spyderco deserves a lot of credit for making knives there--their volume is probably what makes it possible.

I always wanted a Shiva, 5" san mai fighter. Beautiful knife, made by Hattori, IIRC....

The Shiva is made by Moki along with the rest of the AM line since Fadden took over and broke the long relationship with G.Sakai.
The only AM model Hattori made was the Fang series.

I’ll go ahead and second (or third, or fourth, or fifth) this one:

image.jpg

image.jpg

It’s a truly fantastic knife. Even opens bottles:rolleyes::

image.jpg

image.jpg

They just look better with use. Here’s mine with my buddy’s almost new one:

image.jpg

image.jpg

The action on mine has been worked so much it’s like butter. I’ve beat the crap out of it for almost 20 years and it still opens with a mighty “thwack”!

Saw them at SHOT Show. Japan-made is now China-made, but other than that small detail (!) I could not tell the difference. They expect to retail for about half the price.
They were pretty vague on the ETA, so it will likely be awhile.
Whatever happened at Al Mar aside, Japanese manufacturing is just getting too expensive. $400-$500 MSRP's are just not possible with this stuff.
Cold Steel and SOG have either mostly or entirely gotten out of Japan. I did not get a Japanese SOG Bowie or Trident when I could have and I wish I would have.
Spyderco deserves a lot of credit for making knives there--their volume is probably what makes it possible.

Thanks, that is a very interesting answer and it would make a lot of sense. Do you have any idea or speculation regarding the kind of steel used?
Also how does Fallkniven achieve their prices? They also use VG10 as a steel and their blades are also made in Seki.
Their volumes would be higher than Al Mar but wouldn't be as high as Spyderco (thinking about F1-A2 series)

To answer another fellow's question within the current collection the SERE 2000 and Eagle Heavy Duty would be the most throwback yet modern Al Mar knives.
In the 80's-90's Al-Mar was renown for their push towards innovation. Their latest ones would be the Kirk Rexroat designs although I still fail to fully understand the Payara design.
I believe I will have to buy one to understand it more. I had the same difficulty understanding the Spyderco Captain but didn't have the funds at the time to acquire it.

I’ll go ahead and second (or third, or fourth, or fifth) this one:

image.jpg

image.jpg

It’s a truly fantastic knife. Even opens bottles:rolleyes::

image.jpg

image.jpg

They just look better with use. Here’s mine with my buddy’s almost new one:

image.jpg

image.jpg

The action on mine has been worked so much it’s like butter. I’ve beat the crap out of it for almost 20 years and it still opens with a mighty “thwack”!

It’s so awesome to see one that actually gets used :)

It’s so awesome to see one that actually gets used :)

Thanks. That one has even more miles on it since those pictures were taken.

Pretty soon after I joined BF the top dogs were the Spyderco Military, BM 710, and the Sere 2K.

I owned all three and then some. I’ve probably owned and traded or sold over 200 folders in the same size range. None could kick the Sere 2K out of my pocket.

They’re pretty close to custom quality, plenty stout, but still cut well. The ergonomics are fantastic. They’re somewhat comparatively hefty, but that never was any concern to me - I grew up carrying a 110 (in my pocket instead of the belt sheath).

Amen brother. I had one years ago and let it go. Now I keep watching for a Satin Mini Sere.

I have one of the first limited 200 run ... but it's been a user and shows wear on the scales but the lock up and blade are still good to go.

I have received my VG10 FFG Eagle HD 5 days ago. It was love at first sight. It instantly became my EDC/main user.
Now to buy a second one for the safe...

Does anyone know if the current brand "Nemesis" is related in any way related to the old "Masters of Defense" brand? The logo looks familiar and they seem to work with the same designers. Just curious.

I've wanted a Falcon Talon for quite awhile but the scarcity has driven up the price to more than I'm willing to pay for AUS-8 steel.
I think of the Ultralights as "quintessential" Al Mar.
They did partner with Kershaw a year or two ago to make those flippers and they seem popular. Of course those are made in China rather than Seki City.
I have several Al Mars and Moki made knives built on the same lines. It's fine to like the Kershaw on its own merits, but it only vaguely resembles a husky Al Mar.

Does anyone know how to differentiate between the older Al Mar Sere 2000’s while Al was alive and once the company went to crap?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the current brand "Nemesis" is related in any way related to the old "Masters of Defense" brand? The logo looks familiar and they seem to work with the same designers. Just curious.

Don't believe so, the logos are similar in look though. MOD was started by Jim Ray, who owned a brand called White Wolf Knives (early 90's) made in North Carolina. White Wolf's focus was high end factory tactical autos. Around 95ish, he had the thought to offer a small line of autos (and 1 fixed blade) designed by who were the leading self defense gurus of the time, and the original MOD line was born.

I have been really lusting for the TOPS Al-Mar collaboration mini SERE. Something so timeless about it.

Are you saying that Al Mar Knives showed made in China models at the SHOT show? And they were the same models that have been made in Seki? That's interesting because you can go on Alibababa and see tons of "Al Mar" knives available from China right now. I don't know how I'd be able to tell the difference.

Does anyone know how to differentiate between the older Al Mar Sere 2000’s while Gary was alive and once the company went to crap?

I'm pretty certain Gary Fadden is still alive.

Back