• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

BAD- Received Rocks vice Rockstead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh...In that case..use the boxes to build a house..since they are free and all.
... Snip...

Not directed at you Bill since the highlighted quote was meant in jest, but the USPS does encourage reporting and can enforce the misuse of their supplies, in particular their mail carrier buckets plus their Priority and Express Mail supplies. As you know many people tend to use their boxes for garage shelf storage and such although reusing their "used" supplies for such purposes ought not be an issue.

Here is an example (forget the ensuing comments the opinions) and if you online search USPS Supplies Misuse, you will see many many such articles:

https://www.uspsoig.gov/blog/should-postal-service-monitor-packaging-supplies

A couple of times in the past when I had reused the cut outs of their used Priority Mail boxes for the purpose of creating an extra protection wall inside of yellow manilla envelops for First-Class Mail (not used for sending knives but other merchandise like books) the envelops must have gotten torn before they reached their addressee and since the cardboards showed as USPS property, in both cases my customers were charged postage difference between the First-Class paid and Priority Mail material (again reusing the previously used but who's gonna prove that and the hassle to it all?!). In both cases I had pissed off customers who were reimbursed and in one case that was followed up by a nasty letter from the postmaster in one of their hubs in ATL, IIRC! Personal lessons were learned very early on regarding this issue and from there on. out I just used the cut outs of Amazon and Costco boxes; easy peasy!

Regarding reusing used vs new USPS products:

As a business (again not knives) I prefer using brand new boxes as they reflect much better on my business not matter how much dirty and kicked-around they may show at the other end because of handling and transit. Using new vs old or reused is a personal choice which I would have avoided, as I had stated much earlier on, when it comes to sending out an $850 knife. By the same token, I don't wish to denigrate those who reuse boxes in good shape (I do that with Amazon boxes which by and large are always in great shape!)

Just some perspective from someone who ships out a lot than the average person on here who also got his deeeeek slapped by the USPS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back