Basic 10 LE or Basic 11?

I bought one of those from dericdesmond after the KC show, which he attended. My recollection was that 2 different people told me there were six satin B11’s at that show, but I wasn’t there so don’t know for sure. $397 was the show price I heard, also. All had V edges—no asym. I later sent three new asym B11’s to the CS for satin finishes (I bought all three direct from Busse at the 2010 Blade Show.). Sold two—still have one. So that’s 9 I’ve heard of floating around, including 3 asyms and those six from KC.

After the show I paid $550 for that one from dericdesmond, which he later bought back from me for the same price ($550). I sold one of the asyms new for $550 about a year later—probably some time around 2012? Sold another as a user last year for $450. I believe Trevor (Knife Hunter) had two of the KC knives for sale last year for around $700 each, and now has one, so I wonder if he may have been the source for the knife and info posted above by squishware?

Bought from Knifehunter this year. From the other Satin B11 selling on the bay from Trevor, "For your consideration we have a Busse Combat Basic 11 with factory Satin INFI and Res-C handle. Never used in any way, never been used/carried/resharpened. No sheath. There are not many of these out there as it was never a standard Busse offering. They showed up at two shows max and were apx 4-8 made total. They do not pop up very often."

As far as current value I am more than a hundred dollars under the ONLY other factory Satin one currently for sale. Seems innapropriate to discuss a members pricing in a negative light. Old hogs should know better.

The corollary, of course, is that if a knife does not sell at the posted price, then the seller is asking too much for the current market. I have been on both sides of this truth.

Not even sure you can say that. A knife may be priced too high to sell quickly on a given forum during a given timeframe, but that's an issue with many variables.

I would.:D

But then, you’ve never been a true Res-C fan.:p

(Did I mention he bought it back from me a few weeks later for the same price? You have to be a true believer—then it makes perfect sense.:D)

You got me, so very true. :D

I am waiting for a B11 LE to come out with the new ResC handles. The only basics I have left are two original run Basic 9's and an original Basic 7 all with small choils.

You may be waiting awhile. I’d like to see another 7” blade offering, INFI and Res-C. Lots of 6’s and 8’s around now. Was surprised the AD was another 6 incher, though it’s a nice one.

Last edited:
I recently performed a quick non-scientific chop test with a Basic 11, Scrapyard 1111, Scrapyard Dogfather and Scrapyard Trash 2.
The wood was really hard and they all performed well. The Basic 11 with it's INFI steel really shined with the paper test cut afterwards. You could feel a few burrs on the SR101 and SR77 steel knives but the INFI steel cut the paper like it did before the chopping test.
The Basic 11 is an outstanding knife and for it's size and weight it's really hard to beat.

LEFT TO RIGHT:
SCRAPYARD DOGFATHER
SCRAPYARD TRASH 2
BASIC 11
SCRAPYARD 1111
OaORsic.jpg

BASIC 11
jLj32O6.jpg

4unXtq7.jpg

I have never tried the new ResC handles they seem a bit pedestrian in contrast. To my eye the Basic handles are So Iconic.

I have never tried the new ResC handles they seem a bit pedestrian in contrast. To my eye the Basic handles are So Iconic.

I have seen several posts where people prefer the new ResC handles more, but honestly, the difference can't be that great between them. I have used both but never really paid attention to the difference in the feel.

Most older hogs know about this, so apologies if I’m getting too elementary, but I believe the old handles had an extra production step in which the ribbed oval grip panels at the front and the smoothed, compacted area along each side were formed, and the Res-C was compressed slightly overall. When Scrapyard started using a Res-C handle without that finishing step, they got a lot of compliments on the grip being slightly thicker and a bit softer/tackier. When the B11’s came out, several people sent them in to have the grip replaced with the Scrapyard-style, and I think Jerry figured if he could save a step and still keep buyers happy, why not? I find minor plusses and minuses with each.

Last edited:
Back