BBB 15v use reports?

fishface5

Gold Member
Wondering how this steel is performing in the wild but can't seem to find info, anyone have thoughts to share?

Wondering how this steel is performing in the wild but can't seem to find info, anyone have thoughts to share?
The majority of user reports you'll find on Instagram.

Like it or not, Instagram is currently the most active social media platform for finding out the lastest information as its happening.

lulMyJs.png

It's very good stuff. It has kicked K390 out of my pocket. Very stable edge, holds it a long time, and sharpens up extremely well. Deburrs better than I think any other steel I've sharpened. Corrosion resistance is similar to K390, maybe a bit better. I hope there are some long term production plans for it from Spyderco.

After dropping my Manix in a creek while fishing.
i-qsh7ZKT-L.jpg

Manix reprofiled thin.
i-Zjh3f8X-L.jpg

PM2 went on my last fishing trip.
i-tnWC23b-L.jpg

More than half of the 15v models are being flipped. Hard to get without a $75+ markup unless you sit on the internet all day waiting for random drops. :poop: :rolleyes:
Yeah facebook knife buy/sell groups are literally flooded with 15v's for sale, anywhere from $230-$300+, it happens every sprint/exclusive. It's actually a good time to buy one even with the markup because there's a lot available right now, in 3-4 months they will be like trying to find a 15v Manix 2 and I'd bet over $300. The 4V Millie is already being flipped in mass. Some facebook groups have several PM2 15v posted daily. Others are using them for trade bait. Nothing wrong with either practice, some people spend a lot of time obtaining those rare items so if you want to buy one without putting in the effort, there's a cost to that. At the end of the day what exclusives really do is create greater interest in the brand, doesn't matter if it's cars, purses or knives. Think about it, if small runs (more expensive to manufacture) and random small drops (more expensive to ship/orchestrate) have to bring more than just their selling price or manufacturers would change how they do business. There's really only two groups to blame, Spyderco for making so few of them, and knife stores for not charging a lot more for them to slow demand so they last longer. Companies (and not just knife companies) do things like this specifically to whip up a frenzy over their products. Flipping has basically become a career path these days, there's already tons of posts flipping knives from the Texas blade show and it started yesterday. As long as consumers will pay the markups, it will only get worse. Used to be bots were only used for sneakers, I've seen bots now programed for some of the big knife stores, and parents are using them to snag that popular christmas toy for their kids. It's like when the demon dialers came out in the 80's and some people were winning every radio contest they could find because the dialer would basically ensure they were whatever caller was wanted. Radio stations finally had to start putting limits on how many entries someone could have, and also that you could only win one contest per year etc.

It's really just preying on consumer human nature, it doesn't matter what hobby it is, people love exclusives/sprints whatever you want to call them, they don't even know why, but they do :) Take for example the REC knives, nice knives, but most are not seriously collecting them, some probably like the color combo, but take the REC Manix 2, it's 204p, basically M390, you can buy Manix 2 M390's for under $180 pretty easy, seen 2-3 come up in the last week and sit for awhile. Yet a REC version guys will drop $300+ on one that's not NIB (poor collector value) and at $300 it's unlikely to appreciate much more. Exclusives and sprints whip folks up into a frenzy and most don't even know why. That frenzy and excitement also fade very quickly for most, but thankfully there's lots of sprints and exclusives now to keep the cycle going.

I found this years ago and it's pretty accurate for many folks and across many hobbies, lots of people buys tons of something, without any real interest in collecting, and without specific use cases for them. It's like Pokémon "Gotta catch em all.......no idea why" :) To be clear I'm not saying that's wrong, it's just interesting to me from a human/consumer nature aspect.

That's also not to say there isn't functional benefit to some of the sprint runs, different materials blade steels etc, there certainly is, and that's great cause s30 is boring :). However if I can buy M390 in a Manix 2 for $180, I can't spend spending $300+ for a used Manix 2 in 204p. Now if I was a hardcore collector, have to have every Manix 2 etc. version then sure, but I feel like even among us knife enthusiasts that's the vast vast minority that really do the hardcore collecting.

IMG_3382.jpeg

That said I've been using a 15v for a couple weeks, I really like the edge it takes, and how easily it takes it, knocking the burr off is almost too easy.

Last edited:
Got one today. Haven't used it on anything but paper. Effortless slices. And I was able to whittle on a hair from my head.

S.H.A.R.P. That spells sharp

w9a6zcl.jpg

Prepare for the Shamans, evidently a handful were available in store at the Spyderco Outlet today from a facebook posting.

Saw another post here in 15V, steel seems legit!

More than half of the 15v models are being flipped. Hard to get without a $75+ markup unless you sit on the internet all day waiting for random drops. :poop: :rolleyes:
Not anymore, on the facebook groups now most are not moving quickly even in the $220-230 range now if at all. Still tons of them being posted for sale or trade though. Just in one buy/sell thread today alone there were 4 posted under $250, two were under $225, all NIB, not one of them was snatched up all day. Not sure why, but secondary market pricing/demand on the PM2 15v has tanked, might climb up again as they get bought up in a few months, but right not it's not hard to find them at basically what stores were charging. There's tons of trade requests for the 15v PM2's as well and most of them are not getting any interest unless it's a lopsided trade not in favor of the 15v PM2.

It will be interesting to see how the Shaman goes, to me it's kind of an odd pairing for a low toughness steel to be put in a very beefy/overbuilt folder like the Shaman, but I don't think most users, even knife enthusiasts give much thought to use case when it comes to buying sprint runs. Happy to see it though, I think for most people's pocket knife use case, while overbuilt is popular, most are not damaging their blades even in low toughness steels. That said the Shaman is a bit of an enigma in general to me, not that it's not a good knife, but I fail to see what justifies a 80% higher price tag than the Manix 2. Especially when they have very similar blade shape and size, both USA made, same steel offerings, and I'd argue the Manix 2 actually has a more secure handle shape/design.

Not anymore, on the facebook groups now most are not moving quickly even in the $220-230 range now if at all. Still tons of them being posted for sale or trade though. Just in one buy/sell thread today alone there were 4 posted under $250, two were under $225, all NIB, not one of them was snatched up all day. Not sure why, but secondary market pricing/demand on the PM2 15v has tanked, might climb up again as they get bought up in a few months, but right not it's not hard to find them at basically what stores were charging. There's tons of trade requests for the 15v PM2's as well and most of them are not getting any interest unless it's a lopsided trade not in favor of the 15v PM2.

It will be interesting to see how the Shaman goes, to me it's kind of an odd pairing for a low toughness steel to be put in a very beefy/overbuilt folder like the Shaman, but I don't think most users, even knife enthusiasts give much thought to use case when it comes to buying sprint runs. Happy to see it though, I think for most people's pocket knife use case, while overbuilt is popular, most are not damaging their blades even in low toughness steels. That said the Shaman is a bit of an enigma in general to me, not that it's not a good knife, but I fail to see what justifies a 80% higher price tag than the Manix 2. Especially when they have very similar blade shape and size, both USA made, same steel offerings, and I'd argue the Manix 2 actually has a more secure handle shape/design.
Stupid flippers, hope they all step on a Lego and then stub their toes... 🤣 FB don't count, lol. I'm actually surprised they even allow discussion of scary :eek: knives... :poop: 🤨

There have been a few 15V PM2's here recently for reasonable prices (I snagged one of those last week, but missed the Manix yesterday), but even just last night some doofus listed one at $280. :rolleyes: There have been more lately, and it's likely because the flippers are prepping for the Shaman drops. 🤬 👎

It is funny, the knife buy sell forums on FB seem to get left alone, I was pretty shocked how much traffic they have, hundreds of posts a day with stuff for sale, any gun pages get shut down for just breathing much less for images or god forbid buying/selling.

People place the blame in the wrong spot for flipping, the root cause is simple, the Manufacturer doesn't make enough product, and retailers sell them at too low of a price. Either of those things don't happen and flippers don't exist. People complain about the prices flippers charge, but if retailers increased prices enough so they stayed in stock longer than 5 minutes, the prices would have to increase to at least what the flippers are charging.

I used to really get upset at flippers, but now I just look at it this way. If I make $50/hr at work, how much is my free time worth? If it takes 10 hours of hovering over my phone and surfing the internet, setting up notifications at all the stores, pre-loading knife store account info etc. to snag a 15v pm2 for $210, or enjoying my 10 hours of free time and spending $50-75 more to get the same knife it's really a no brainer. Now of course I suppose if you can do all those things at work on the boss's dime that's one option.

If you haven’t got one yet. Amareican Edge Corp is dropping some tonight at TONIGHT at 7:30pm Central Time

Back