BBB 15v use reports?

I would love to see the Manix 2 lightweight in 15v become part of the standard Spyderco lineup.
I know GPKnives has a DLC Rex45 Manix 2 LW for sale right now cheap. It would be a good one to grab while you wait for a 15V LW. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't come out with a Para3 15V

Off topic, but barkingspider2007 barkingspider2007 would you mind elaborating on the "running soft" comment? I have reached out to MKC a handful of times asking what Rockwell they run their Magnacut, but have never received a reply back. Those are actually the only instances I've never received a response when I've asked them questions.
Do you know how they run theirs, or are speaking from experience using the knives?
Feel free to PM me as well, if that's better so I don't clog up this thread. Thank you!

If you look at the link below they have a steel comparison table.

One row is 62.5 HRC
The Next Row 64 HRC
MKC - makes no claim about HRC or the process.

I would like a denotative answer from MKC.

I lent out my Speed Goat in Magnacut.
When it comes back I'll send it out for a HRC test.

Managed to snag a factory second Manix 2 in BBB's 15V for almost the same price as a standard one lol. I'm very happy with the steel, I used a Maxamet PM2 before that and it's very comparable to it in terms of edge retention, but it takes better to stropping. It also hasn't developed a patina yet, so it seems to be more resistant. I haven't had the opportunity to sharpen it yet, as I rotate between a number of knives and it takes a while for any of them to get dull, but something tells me it's gonna be a joy to sharpen and I'm looking forward to it.

RE: Manix 2 in BBB's 15V

- Cut 800 feet of cardboard and remained very sharp (ran out of cardboard) factory edge
- Ran the edge at 90 degrees on a diamond stone to remove the factory edge
- Sharpened 2 times
- The "good steel" is now in play
- Easy to sharpen \ de-burr
- Zero chipping
- In the carry rotation for 6+ months and sticky sharp

Pro
1. Less brittle than Maxamet
2. More stainless than K390 or Maxamet
3. Very fine burr formation and easy to remove
4. Stands up to Zip tie cutting and hard use
5. Bites into plastics when cutting
6. Holds a fine edge a long time

Con
- Not easy to get
- Not available in the Manix 2 LW
- Expensive compared to K390
- K390 can be had in the regular Spyderco lineup, Endura 4, and lower cost lock back folders
- K390 is a much higher value relative to performance

I have purchased 2 Endura 4's in K390 for under $100

For the money K390 is a better pick.

That said 15v will be my go to steel if it becomes part of the lower cost \ higher value
user Spyderco lineup.

I recommend that you sharpen your Manix2 in 15v. You will come to appreciate the steel fully as a result.

Please let me know how your knife works out.

Dan

PS: GP knives has an "Exclusive" Manix 2 in REX45 for only $143
Spyderco is using 67 HRC, for the money an awesome deal, very high value.

Back