'Beater' EDCs

For under $70 bucks that Winkler Kilimanjaro has my attention and it looks like a great work knife that I wouldn't feel bad about dragging it around a worksite. I have lost 3 knives in as many months all under $50 bucks lucky. This is my work rotation, top to bottom oldest to newest.
HHtZi5A.jpg

If I am doing a task with a knife that I think the blade edge could get chipped, I have to admit that I will usually use one of my lower priced knives. They usually have softer steels, so it's easier to sharpen out any nicks in the edge. I don't really see how it is any different than changing into some old clothes to do an oil change on your car or do a painting project around the house.

I do find it funny when you find people carrying two knives. One is their high end designer knife they paid like $200 for and the other is the beater knife they use so they don't scratch, chip, break, or lose the $200 knife. I can't help but wonder why they even carry the expensive one around. Show and tell?

Kind of a story to go with this one. When I first bought my Delica a while back I really got attached to it so I did the logical thing and bought a duplicate backup because it's what I do. When I got it, the first thing I noticed was that the blade centering was off. I tried a few different techniques I've looked up to fix it and ending up completely rounding out a torx head in the scale and the centering was still off. So after I blew $30 round trip to have it fixed I realized Spyderco sharpened it again (it was still brand new and had yet to even cut something).

I tried to see if they could center it while they had it too but it didn't seem to be of much use. So the knife sat in it's box for a long time, brand new with its off center blade, raped screw heads, and what seemed like a millimeter of regrind and I was completely disgusted. (but I will say the thing was wicked sharp, even more so than when they come in the box). But then a brilliant idea hit me.

I bought a third Delica for backup (which arrived just fine) and decided I'd try employing the other one as a utility/work knife. I was impressed with how much better an actual knife served my needs than a conventional razor blade style utility knife. The blade shape also lends itself to this purpose well. The reject Delica that I thought would eventually be sold off or given away has found a permanent spot on my tool belt in lieu of a Stanley razor knife and I've loved it.

I configured it just for it's newly given task buy switching the clip to the other end and giving it a lanyard. I carry it tip up but the tip down clip position serves a functional purpose. Since I keep it in a tool pouch slot and not a pocket the reversed clip makes it slide in easy and not catch on the pouch and makes it fit more snug than simply taking it off. The flare at the bottom of the clip also serves to keep it from ever sliding too deep. The lanyard's purpose is obvious.

I gotta say, it's felt good using a knife hard for knife tasks (as dumb as that sounds). This might be just what I needed to get over really using my "good knives" as knives.

Ei7ymja.jpg

LLbIuVd.jpg

Kind of a story to go with this one. When I first bought my Delica a while back I really got attached to it so I did the logical thing and bought a duplicate backup because it's what I do. When I got it, the first thing I noticed was that the blade centering was off. I tried a few different techniques I've looked up to fix it and ending up completely rounding out a torx head in the scale and the centering was still off. So after I blew $30 round trip to have it fixed I realized Spyderco sharpened it again (it was still brand new and had yet to even cut something).

I tried to see if they could center it while they had it too but it didn't seem to be of much use. So the knife sat in it's box for a long time, brand new with its off center blade, raped screw heads, and what seemed like a millimeter of regrind and I was completely disgusted. (but I will say the thing was wicked sharp, even more so than when they come in the box). But then a brilliant idea hit me.

I bought a third Delica for backup (which arrived just fine) and decided I'd try employing the other one as a utility/work knife. I was impressed with how much better an actual knife served my needs than a conventional razor blade style utility knife. The blade shape also lends itself to this purpose well. The reject Delica that I thought would eventually be sold off or given away has found a permanent spot on my tool belt in lieu of a Stanley razor knife and I've loved it.

I configured it just for it's newly given task buy switching the clip to the other end and giving it a lanyard. I carry it tip up but the tip down clip position serves a functional purpose. Since I keep it in a tool pouch slot and not a pocket the reversed clip makes it slide in easy and not catch on the pouch and makes it fit more snug than simply taking it off. The flare at the bottom of the clip also serves to keep it from ever sliding too deep. The lanyard's purpose is obvious.

I gotta say, it's felt good using a knife hard for knife tasks (as dumb as that sounds). This might be just what I needed to get over really using my "good knives" as knives.

Ei7ymja.jpg

LLbIuVd.jpg

This is what you meant by getting in trouble taking knives apart, I was just guessing earlier in the knives and food thread.
At least you’re using your knives now, something good came of raping a torx screw anyway.
Several of my Spyderco’s had red locktite on all the screws, bastards. Red locktite is the worst.

How many got stripped heads?

None, I’m a former mechanic. When I gave a turn and the screw didn’t want to turn, I applied more downward force before I tried turning again. Finessing screws and bolts out can’t be taught, you have to learn for yourself. I also don’t think expensive pocket knives is the place to learn this skill either. Another trick for red locktite I found that works is to mildly heat the screw with a soldering iron. Let the screw cool a little before you try to turn it. It loosens the red locktite. I don’t understand why a knife maker would ever use red locktite in the first place, completely unnecessary.

Last edited:
Back