Beautiful...but not quite what I ordered. M43.

You seem to have a good understanding of the Kukri dynamics,

At 18 inch and 31 ounce, it probably doesn't perform far from what a 25 ounce would for the same length. It is only 25% or 6 ounce heavier. The extra weight is spread across the whole M43.

To me (and my very humble opinion) it's the length that makes the biggest difference. A 18 inch 30 ounce feels much heavier in the hand than a 16 inch of the same weight. These guys are nose heavy and the lever works against your wrist.

I'm in line to buy your M43 if no one else wants it, it's a beauty, and worthy of a loving home, no to mention fondling from time to time...:)

I am sure Auntie meant no disrespect, yes, she could have sent an email, but I for one, much prefer her approach. I would much rather, receive the item in hand, with a note explaining the differences, and an offer to return and re-commission the project, as needed. It is totally different handling an item, instead of just reading or looking at it, physical inspection is always best.

I am sorry that the M43 did not come in your specs, but if it's perfectly balanced, then it isn't all bad, right? Even so, just let Auntie know, and I know she will make it right.

FYI - I bought a DOTD Tibetan Long Sword a few weeks ago, and poor Auntie dropped it while packing it, and damaged the tip, knowing auntie's quality standards, it's probably really slight, and hardly noticeable, but she would disclose it to a customer anyway, which I was highly appreciative of, for her diligence, and honesty.

She received another sword lately, and was willing to let me have that one, but it was shorter than the one I had wanted. She had no problem with that, and we mutually agreed to commission a new sword for me to replace the damaged one, but it may be awhile. I have even sent her payment already, it happens when items are handforged, and custom made, I know it may be quite awhile before I see the sword, but I am sure it will be worth the wait, and if it comes in, and I do not like it, for whatever reason, I know Auntie would accept it back with no questions, and start over again.

As others have stated, there is no other company in the world like HI, auntie's customer service, and quality standards, are beyond reproach.

Remember, if no one else wants to buy the M43, I'm interested in the beauty!

Lol, honestly Yangdu should just have the kami's make half a dozen or so M43 and send me the one closest to my specs. It seems everyones enamored with the one I recieved, I'm sure they would sell like hot cakes, the M43 is without a doubt a beautiful and awe inspiring model.

yeah they have been out of stock on M43 for a while actually, that is why you see so much interest :D

I'm not sure you can make an 18" M43 with just 25 oz weight. Most 18" M43's are between 31 and 37 oz, and mine is 31.4 oz.

How to cut those 8+ ounces? thinner? shorter? with fullers? with cutout's? Anybody can answer this question?

Fullers are one way, but actual Mk. II/M43 do not have fullers as far as I've seen. My vintage M43 is slightly hollow forged, but very slightly. My Mk. II's are not hollow forged at all IIRC. What it really boils down to is a spine at the bolster of no more than about 3/8" and having a constant distal taper in both directions. Or, as is the case with my vintage M43, the spine is no thicker than 1/4" from bolster to "shoulder", then tapers to the tip. My GI Mk. II's are around 23-25 oz. My heaviest bazaar/private purchase Mk. II type khuk is about 26 oz. Untold thousands (?) were cranked out during the World Wars. I think the hard part is explaining to the kami what you want, and him actually doing it. Take care.

ETA: The kamis have produced 27 oz. ASTK's before. It's a very nice design and would satisfy a lot of desire for a lighter M43. Especially if the kamis could shave a few more ounces off the weight.

Aleous:

First of all, you should simply return the M43 to Yangdu and ask for a credit toward your next purchase. Then I suggest that you watch for DOTDs and wait for a model (perhaps, but not necessarily, an M43) that appeals to you and has the right length and weight. An M43 might be your grail knife right now, but as with love, sometimes the object of one's affection changes over time. :)

I prefer DOTDs because you can see one or more pictures of the exact knife, with the exact length and weight. You can't do that ordering from the HI website catalog, where only generic photos and dimensions are given. You also can't do that with special orders. No matter how precise you are about the desired features, there will be variations in the end-product, since these are hand-made with simple tools, and there may be unanticipated minor flaws (usually in the handle, sometimes due to changes in humidity from one climate to another). With a DOTD you know about those before purchase.

I don't think special orders should be eliminated altogether, but I do think there should be some simple rules about them. Maybe Yangdu or Karda can think more about what those rules might be. For example, it's reasonable to request a guard, or a specific handle material, or chiruwa type handle, or steel pommel -- things like that which are either present or absent. You might specify a general length or weight, but not an exact length or weight, because that is nearly impossible to guarantee in advance when forging steel. Perhaps Yangdu should only accept special orders from established customers who are likely to be more tolerant of the inevitable variations that occur.

I'm glad that you are taking this in good spirit, but some others in the thread are not. Yangdu did the right thing to offer you the knife as it is, given the long wait, and her note acknowledged the weight discrepancy. I'm sure she'll take it back if that's what you want, and some other lucky forumite will be happy to buy it. Those who suggest that Yangdu could have gone through an email discussion with you before shipping are not taking into consideration the extreme demands on her time, with all that she has to do essentially single-handedly. If she had to do that with special orders over a three ounce discrepancy, most likely special orders would be discontinued or become much more expensive.

-- Dave

Thank you for your words/advice/insight David though a refund or credit would be the last thing I would want personally. I have never had luck with the DOTD's so I've just always stayed with purchases from the store, they are worth the full price.

All I would like is something a little closer to my original order, though in the end I will leave such a decision to Yangdu, though no matter what as I've said I know I will not be disappointed in the end result.

As far as the E-mail goes I think what Yangdu did sufficed enough, I do not in any way see it as any kind of deception, the note in my package was enough for me and that should be enough for everyone.

As I've said before I was ready for a little variation and even told Yangdu a little deviation was fine just as long as it was as close as they could get it when I confirmed with her that my special order was possible right after I placed my original order.

I'm sorry to say it was not a 3 oz discrepancy which I would have been content with but a 6 oz one. Ideally something around 17-18 in and ballparck 650 to 750 grams would have made me very happy and be perfection in my eyes.

I love Himalayan Imports, the kami's, and especially Yangdu for what they do and couldn't be anything but happy for the service and products they have given me in the past, also love this forum for the fun and advice/insight they give on the wonderful world of khukuri.

Specific weights for the Kamis are almost impossible. When I order my next custom HI knife I will only specify very, very light.

Dirtbiker - that is exactly what I did. Length plus/minus about 1/2" or so.

Truth be told, the only reason I ended up with the 29oz CAK is because it was sent to me by Auntie in a batch that need a little shrinkage work and she was afraid were made to svelte to hold up to chopping and she wanted my advice on how I felt about them. She was afraid that they would fail and cause warranty issues.
The heaviest one, IIRC, was about 34oz's. I picked this lightest one to test and beat the snot out of it. Ran it thru Uncle bills testing and chopped a few things mercilessly until I was satisfied that if it held up, the others should also. It has quite a skinny handle and fit my hand nicely.
It kept whispering in my ear that it wanted to stay and would serve me well. I learned early on that when a khukuri speaks to you in this manner or instructs you in how to use it. It is best to listen.

DSC00834.jpg

Wow thanks for the eye candy Karda, that is truly a gem of a khuk, absolutely beautiful. I wholeheartedly agree when something with that much soul in it speaks to you.

What's the companion knife in the sheath attachment if you don't mind me asking? I so need to get one of those kami relief fund sheaths, they look so cool!

Dirtbiker I did specify 25 oz or as close as the kami's could get to it, it's cul4u01 that did as you suggested which all in all is a good idea, just asking for very, very light.

What's the companion knife in the sheath attachment if you don't mind me asking?

You would have had to ask me that!
I can't remember what they were called, but when Howard and Red Flower were at the shop visiting Pala on their way home from China he had gotten a batch of Blackjack Trailguide, Randall Model 1 and Canadian Belt Knives made. A few were sold and Howard even gave the one that was reviewed here to an LEO that was also a scoutmaster. In the end it was decided that we would not produce any more because we don't want HI to get sued or be known for copying others designs.

Ah, that makes me a bit sad, though I guess that makes you double as lucky having such a unique piece in your collection. Could I trouble you for a shot of the blade if you have one lying around? I find it a right tease having it sheathed when I know it must be an amazing knife. Also HI again shows it's integrity is off the charts.

Davidf99, good point about the DOTD knives and seeing what you'll receive. HI is very forthright with their DOTD knife flaws and their 'buyer beware' advice. My concern for the buyer was his 'special order' in essence was a blemished DOTD (with the scratches, wrong material, incorrect weight, etc.) without the attractive price tag. I'm sure he had to pony up a tidy sum of money to have the knife built to his specs. I'm guessing if not for this forum and/or his relationship with their rep here he wouldn't be nearly as willing to suck it up and simply accept what they sent him. I completely agree he should send the knife back and get a credit towards a knife that meets his desired specs.

I did not pay anything but the standard price on the website which is $195, just asked if something close to my specs was possible in a note enclosed with my original order and was told it was. The materials were not incorrect, the scratches for all I know are natural indentations/inclusions from the original horn before it was shaped into the handle, though I find them a little unattractive it would not warrant a return by itself, the only thing wrong with my order was it was a bit on the heavy side. I have no special relationship with any reps, I was just raised to be a very patient and understanding person and strive to be as good a person as I can be. Thank you for your concern Jax though I really do not wish to cause any misunderstandings on the matter.

Ah, that makes me a bit sad, though I guess that makes you double as lucky having such a unique piece in your collection. Could I trouble you for a shot of the blade if you have one lying around? I find it a right tease having it sheathed when I know it must be an amazing knife. Also HI again shows it's integrity is off the charts.

You made me go looking for the threads. It appears these never really got named. They were the "passaround" knives, because we did a passaround at the time: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/874306-Passaround-3

Back