Becker innovation - need more of it

I didnt even think about this folder conundrum. No doubt he should work with someone that has been successful in this field.

The BK20 is great. The BK29, BK98, BK23, BK18 and BK40 all seem like Kabar’s designs inspired by Ethan’s knives. The BK62 is terrific and I will never part with mine but I wouldn’t say Ethan designed it as he sought to faithfully recreate his original example as best as he could.

I wonder if we will see another knife designed by the boss?

the 98 was definitely E's design.
the 29 was the original draft and E redrew it to get the first proto of the 20, then tweaked that design a little more.
pretty sure he had minimal input on the 23 -- especially the origin location...

I think we're doing pretty well for 2020...
Creative work is tough when it feels like all the shoes are in the air. Don't ask how I know...
BUT hope is on the horizon.

Most of the bases are covered except the folder - and I'd probably redesign the littlest ones.

Dubz, I love that clipped, choiled BK2. In 3/16" it would be a smoke show.

I think we're doing pretty well for 2020...
Creative work is tough when it feels like all the shoes are in the air. Don't ask how I know...
BUT hope is on the horizon.

Most of the bases are covered except the folder - and I'd probably redesign the littlest ones.

Dubz, I love that clipped, choiled BK2. In 3/16" it would be a smoke show.
I knew you liked straight clips. I think you should make one. :thumbsup:

“Designed in partnership with Ethan Becker of Becker Knife & Tool, as a nod to the KA-BAR kitchen knives of the past, the Tuko has been brought up to date with a popular blade shape and modern finishes.” Seems like a collaboration from the description.

If I remember right the Bk29 was Kabar’s interpretation of what Ethan wanted and it was designed by Jason Moses. Ethan tweaked it to what he wanted which was the BK20. Kabar then went ahead and released the BK29 anyway as the Moses Bowie.

Ethan hasn’t logged into here since May and hasn’t posted in over year. I hope he is doing well.

There are tumbleweeds blowing around this sub forum. We could use a new BK something from the boss.

After looking at all the pics I could find of the original Kepharts I would be interested in seeing the 4" reproduced to finish the set. There appears to be some distinct handle differences in addition to a shorter blade, perhaps thinner stock as well?

Not innovative but a guy can dream.

You know, Dubz, I never successfully made a blade to fit the full-size BK handles. There were some early attempts. Like... yeah. 10 years ago now. My Moose Mountain-5 is sort of my version of that.

Loves me a ~4.5" Kephart, Studio. Ayup. In stainless. Yup. In fact, that plus a mini version as an alternative to the BK-11 and BK-13. Having done a totally (*ahem*) "scientific" study of Kepharts from 3.5"-6", I can say that the 3.5" and the 4.5" are my fav's. That would be a sweeeet BK-line.

I remember the mini 2 you made.

I've always wanted to ask (in the most respectable way possible)......Does Ethan actually make knives? Like the original Machax, Brute, and Patrol Machete? Or design them, then send out the designs for prototype?

Am sure in recent years a crew of knife makers do it for him at Kabar.

Just Curious.

There are folks (including Uncle E!) who could answer your question more completely. At his old place he had a full shop, and we know he made a lot of the early prototypes. Not sure if he ever made a go at it as an independent knifemaker.

I remember the mini 2 you made.
The BK-2/3! That was my final Beckerhead membership application post. (hence my BH#66) Not a very good "knife", but was sent to Half Moon Ridge as tribute, and last spotted hanging on Ethan's shop wall behind him in a Kabar video on the BK-62 ( :eek: ) along with a bunch of the other aforementioned prototypes various other things.

I remember seeing it on that video.

The Becker line has produced a series of excellent camp tools. About the only classic hand tool that they have omitted is the billhook and that might be something to look at.

Other than that I would suggest a modern version of this:

Lets face it, that blade can easily be mistaken for something out of the Becker catalog.

n2s

Other than that I would suggest a modern version of this:

Lets face it, that blade can easily be mistaken for something out of the Becker catalog.

n2s
That’s perfect, I’ve always wanted a minty version of that one. It’d be great to see someone bring back the design with some upgrades.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to ask (in the most respectable way possible)......Does Ethan actually make knives? Like the original Machax, Brute, and Patrol Machete? Or design them, then send out the designs for prototype?

Am sure in recent years a crew of knife makers do it for him at Kabar.

Just Curious.

Ethan learned early on that grinding blades consistently was not a talent of his - but designing them was.
I do not know who he had helping him out in the early years when there was only a machax, campanion, and div-tul.

Ive noticed a lot of the time, ethans knives are from a collaboration with him and another designer. Like jerry fisk, hank reinhardt, horace kephart (they dont need to be alive and not a collab at all really), doug ritter, and an inhouse kabar designer for the 18. The best innovation comes from when minds work together.

A thread for possible designers we would like to see work with ethan could be inspiring

I agree collaboration is a good idea.

A Becker/ The Warrior The Warrior collaboration would be killer.

From more of a practical standpoint, I see why some changes don't get made. For instance, say, the BK2. Many wish it were 3/16, instead of a 1/4" thick. That's basically a BK10. I like my drop point, no ramp with jimping BK9 "mod". Why make it when the performance would be the same as a BK9? That is, with the same thickness, blade geometry, etc.

Back