Beckerhead firearms

I have an old Norinco SKS that has seen many years of use. I would lend it to friends who would go on aerial feral animal culls and bang out 300 rounds a day from a helicopter.

With quality ammo it was very accurate and consistent at 200 yards even with open sights.

It is very sensitive to ammo quality though. Poor quality rounds would jam often and round placement is vague to say the least.

Still, a great old gun. I wish I had a few, along with a about 10,000 more quality brass rounds by American Eagle.

I have an old Norinco SKS that has seen many years of use. I would lend it to friends who would go on aerial feral animal culls and bang out 300 rounds a day from a helicopter.

With quality ammo it was very accurate and consistent at 200 yards even with open sights.

It is very sensitive to ammo quality though. Poor quality rounds would jam often and round placement is vague to say the least.

Still, a great old gun. I wish I had a few, along with a about 10,000 more quality brass rounds by American Eagle.
Lol. Between those nasty triggers and chunky irons, I was barely doing minute-of-torso with mine. Never had any malfunctions though. I can’t even imagine doing 200yds. Nice job!

I’ve only ever fired Wolf, but it looks like I’ve got some brass-cased Federal PowerShok and Sellier&Bellot here. Looking forward to more range trips this year.

Lol. Between those nasty triggers and chunky irons, I was barely doing minute-of-torso with mine. Never had any malfunctions though. I can’t even imagine doing 200yds. Nice job!

I’ve only ever fired Wolf, but it looks like I’ve got some brass-cased Federal PowerShok and Sellier&Bellot here. Looking forward to more range trips this year.
I was pretty lucky in that my copy seemed to be pretty darn accurate.

A buddy of mine welded up a large angle iron frame to hang a 3x3 piece of plywood on. We would staple paper targets to it, and have fun playing tic tac toe.

I forget exactly what he did, but somehow he was messing with me on something, so I proceeded to shoot the metal legs off his contraption. It was funny at the time!

MolokaiRider MolokaiRider

Oh I’m sure you could do the same with my old rifles. I doubt it was their fault. I’m definitely far below average with squared military irons. Minute-of-milkjug at best.

That sounds like a pretty fun game though!

When the Izhmash Biathlon Basics first came into the country, they were retailing for $260, so I bought two. I had one really dialed, and I’d try to shoot the flies and wasps that sometimes landed on my paper targets.

I've never been that great of a shot. My hands are not that steady from years of playing drums. Luckily, I am just good enough to get lucky shooting game, and I've practiced stalking for long enough to get relatively close.

I usually hunt with a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .270 with a older Nikon Buckmaster (before the downgrade) and do okay. Lately I have been using a DPMS Panther AR10 platform in .308 with great results.

The .270 is a bit too fast and doesn't seem to do as much damage in the 50-150 yard range as the heavier .308 does.

I've never been that great of a shot. My hands are not that steady from years of playing drums. Luckily, I am just good enough to get lucky shooting game, and I've practiced stalking for long enough to get relatively close.

I usually hunt with a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .270 with a older Nikon Buckmaster (before the downgrade) and do okay. Lately I have been using a DPMS Panther AR10 platform in .308 with great results.

The .270 is a bit too fast and doesn't seem to do as much damage in the 50-150 yard range as the heavier .308 does.
Those Vanguard are well regarded, but I’ve never fired one. A good buddy of mine uses one as well, also in .270.

Ugh. So sad that Nikon took such a turn for the worse. I used to have several of their older Philippine Prostaff, but the only one I still have is a single 2x20 pistol scope. I realize those probably weren’t the last word in quality, but I liked them for their price point. Then about ten years ago I ordered a P-22 of some kind. I think it was a 4x rimfire scope. It was so awful I literally just gave it to a coworker. What a piece of junk, or at least, it appeared that way to my eyes. So sad.

Sig/Hammerli Trailside.

I bought this one new for $400 in about 2005 or thereabouts. I don’t think they were popular, and only sold for a year or two. Sort of a stripped-down Xesse. It seemed like a bargain at the time, and I still think the monolithic billet construction is neat, but after shooting it for almost twenty years I can see why they didn’t do well. Mine ate its own plastic guide rod after a few hundred rounds. Literally snapped in half. On the 4” model, the rear sight and barrel weight were plastic. The original plastic grips were shaped strangely and didn’t seem to wear well. They have a reputation for cracking their own trigger guard/slide stop if high velocity rounds are used. I’ve only ever run subsonic and standard velocity in mine. I replaced the guide rod, action spring, and barrel weight with Larry’sCustom parts. Stainless guide rod and aluminum barrel weight. The grips are Rink stippled walnut. Magazines were always pricey, and I was cheap, so I only have the one it came with. It’s actually been a decent test of the plastic magazine though, because it still runs fine after something like 2,000rds. It feels a bit light and jumpy in my hand, but every time I think of selling it I realize I’m still attached.

GDOMZzs.jpg

The Izhmash IZH-35M have been completely stellar in every way. I’ve reworked the factory grips to fit my hand better, and swapped all the soft flathead screws for flat socket cap screws. I’m running PowerCustom 10/22 action springs, which are a perfect drop-in replacement. They have downward-pivoting hammers. Triggers break clean and crisp at 1.5 lbs. Factory magazines hold 5rds but I’ve read that the S&W 22a 10rd mags can be easily modified to fit. I’ve probably put something like 10,000rds through them at this point. I just can’t say enough good things about them. I don’t recall experiencing a single failure of any kind. From a bench, they are capable of shooting almost on-par with long guns at our limited indoor rimfire range, if I do my part.

I lusted after the Trailside years ago.
Ended up in vintage High Standards instead.
Good choice! So many cool flavors of High Standard to choose from!

I wouldn’t buy the Trailside again, especially at current prices, and certainly not the 4” version. Even after fussing with the trigger I don’t think it’s as good as it ought to be. I’ve lusted after the Star FM and the older GSP in recent years.

Those are some pretty grips on that BK11. How do you like that LCP?

I’ve been through four pocket .380 in the last twenty years. A KelTec P3AT, Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard 380, and a Kahr P380. I feel like that LCP was the nicest to carry, but I’ve never handled one of the new ones. Each was sold to make room for the next, and the most recent-the Kahr-was sold about five years ago. I haven’t carried in that space of time, but I’ve been eyeballing the NAA Ranger II. I even bought a few boxes of .22WMR…

Those are some pretty grips on that BK11. How do you like that LCP?

I’ve been through four pocket .380 in the last twenty years. A KelTec P3AT, Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard 380, and a Kahr P380. I feel like that LCP was the nicest to carry, but I’ve never handled one of the new ones. Each was sold to make room for the next, and the most recent-the Kahr-was sold about five years ago. I haven’t carried in that space of time, but I’ve been eyeballing the NAA Ranger II. I even bought a few boxes of .22WMR…
Zooming in on the barrel, it looks like plumberroy has the .22LR. I was hoping i was done buying guns a couple years ago but this one really has got me thinking, especially as the price of a double action .22 revolver these days is just plain stupid. I remember when the small KelTec pistols came out, I always thought they should have been .22LR. I think you should go for the NAA Ranger II. There's no time like the present.

Zooming in on the barrel, it looks like plumberroy has the .22LR. I was hoping i was done buying guns a couple years ago but this one really has got me thinking, especially as the price of a double action .22 revolver these days is just plain stupid. I remember when the small KelTec pistols came out, I always thought they should have been .22LR. I think you should go for the NAA Ranger II. There's no time like the present.
Huh. I didn’t know that was a thing. I had to go and look it up. That is very cool. I always thought the SR22 was neat, but this is even smaller and lighter by about 6 oz…

Back