Beckerhead firearms

Picked up an S&W M&P15 sport II today. The guys in the know that I refer to on such matters say it's the next-best thing to a Colt 6920 or 6720 and a good gun for the money so I bought one. Already seeing some panic buying so I was lucky to get it. Even better news, because I carry a gun for the feds, even though I'm just a lowly security guard, I can buy standard capacity mags in Colorado so I picked up 3 extra Pmags for $15 each. My emergency fund is almost totally depleted though so hopefully my truck doesn't blow a head gasket or something.

I was drooling over the Wiley Clapp version the other day as well as a Match Champion. So much want.

RiflesBecker_zpsfnoxxyob.jpg

The top rifle is a comparatively recent acquisition. Mossberg .308 Winchester with a full length moderator. It is very accurate and it shoots ammo that is relatively common. It doesn't feed flat-nosed projectiles very well unfortunately, but common 'pointy' bullets work well enough. I loaded up some 170 grain flat nosed 30/30 projectiles with a low load of Trail Boss powder to make a very quiet big-bore weapon. They were accurate enough, but it was hard to get the cartridges into the chamber. I haven't always been a big fan of 'scopes... but I have to say they are a big advantage in low light conditions and, dangnabit, I've found that if the gun is sighted in, the bullet generally hits the target pretty much where I was holding the crosshairs !

But I prefer hunting without a scope mostly. It seems more natural and instinctive... especially shooting at a quick glimpse of game in thick cover.... or close up.

The middle rifle is an Anschutz .22 rimfire with a box magazine. I like this one because the open sights are tall enough to use when the moderator is fitted. This rifle has had a lot of use. And while I would not recommend that a .22 should be used for larger animals, sometimes it is the better or only choice for some situations. I've taken feral pigs and goats on many occasions with this, as well as rabbits etc.

The bottom rifle is the one I would pick if I had a tricky situation to deal with. .303 British. I guess it would be my choice because of the familiarity I have with Lee Enfields having used them nearly all my life. I did have an old one (a long Tom stamped '1897' or was it 1896) that occasionally misfired... but every other I've used has been reliable and accurate. My Dad shortened this one for me. That positive action and the ten-shot magazine give a man confidence. I used this rifle earlier in the year to shoot a small pig I chanced upon. The cartridge I used was CAC brand (Colonial Ammunition Company) with a date stamp of '57. Some time back I'd pulled the military projectiles from these cartridges and refitted some soft-point 150 grain bullets.

So, I am searching for a AR platform rifle in a price range of about $1,200 or so. Thoughts?

Whats the best current production 357/38 special that I should buy ?

Smith makes some nice guns but the Ruger GP100 is going to be a bit tougher. And it doesn't have a stupid internal lock. The match champion version is nice.

So, I am searching for a AR platform rifle in a price range of about $1,200 or so. Thoughts?

Bravo Company or Daniel Defense probably. This is a good thread from people that know more than me. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19924-Top-Tier-AR-Which-model

Last edited:
Oh coote, that Enfield is a beauty! :thumbup:
:D

Silverthorn said:
Whats the best current production 357/38 special that I should buy ?
That depends on what purpose you want to use them for. I really like the couple of Ruger revolvers I have, they are not small models, nor are they suited to concealability. But they are reputed to be as tough as they come.

Went to gun show today and ended up walking away with an 1898 Krag, I've always wanted one. They also had an ishapore enfield no1 in 308, but ended up passing on it

Yeah for a 357 I am not thinking for CCW I am thinking woods gun so I am leaning Ruger, likely the match grade one Hoss mentioned.

I actually got the krag for only $300. Near perfect condition except for a small cracked in the button of the stock, and they cut down the for end slightly

I was really liking the idea of a 10mm Glock for a woods gun but I was pointed toward a thread recently and it seems almost all commercial 10mm loads are either just barely above a .40 or the smaller manufacturers are driving projectiles at velocities higher than they can handle so the terminal performance suffers.

Am thinking about a Glock 17 this summer. Speaking of panic buying, I cleaned two Walmarts out of all their Perfecta brass cased 9mm. ;)

Back