Benchmade Black Class, failing pommel strike tests (Axis lock failure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can see this being possible considering the way the axis lock is built. i wouldn’t necessarily call it lock failure though. by striking straight down on the pommel, you’re applying force in the same direction as the axis bar travels when unlocking the knife. so it’s not really a surprise that if you apply enough force you can disengage the lock this way. the lock is functioning properly, the force needed to compress the omega springs is just being applied in a different manner.

When I see a video showing blade closure while holding the knife properly (use of a leather glove for finger protection is allowed), then I'll believe that a pommel strike could cause the blade to unlock.

Did you watch the video? That specific knife is a de assisted barrage, and only one of the knives tested in the video.
Spoiler they all failed.

Yep, I watched both videos.

I saw no tests with a user holding onto the knife in a manner consistent with how it would be used in real life, performing a pommel strike, with the result being an unlocked blade.

I’m a cop, not a knife fighter. Come to think of it, I don’t know any professional knife fighters... then again, I haven’t been on LinkedIn in some time, so I might just be out of touch.

As a professional who the Black Class line caters to, I will tell you I prefer and appreciate them for the fact that they’re generally very tough due to their robust builds and utilitarian form factors, and because they are almost always of subdued coloration and have non-reflective blade finishes and therefore don’t draw attention when they shouldn’t. I carry one everyday. It’s almost always used for simple, mundane tasks. I do feel confident it could be pressed into a self defense or gun defense role if need be, even though the odds of having to do that are very, VERY unlikely. Having to use it for pommel striking anyone is even less likely.

In my opinion, if they have pointed pommels, whether for striking a bad guy or glass, I believe the designed intent is for them to be used in a closed position, as one would a kubaton.

As mentioned, performing pommel strikes with an opened folding knife seems A) like a ninja-tastic dream move that holds exactly zero real-world practicality and/or likelihood if your blade is already deployed and you’re fighting for your life, and B) much more dangerous than practical with ANY open folding knife, regardless of lock type. But hey, if you’re not confident in the Black Class folders for EVERY possible tactical eventuality, choose something else. They certainly meet my needs.

Here's an even crazier thought, in a self defense situation where the blade has already been deployed, and the situation has advanced to grappling distance in a struggle, you can't causually close your knife while being assaulted.
How about that for crazy.

From the Military viewpoint - If the situation has gotten to the point I'm using an open folder things have gone sideways. At this point my focus is to eliminate the threat & I'll be using the pointy part of the knife as much as possible. Primary focus would be transitioning back to a firearm ASAP.

And as mentioned, if held in a strong hammer or sabre grip I don't see this happening. Tried it with my my discontinued H&K Axis - nothing other than a divot on my old beat-up work bench.

Did you watch the video? That specific knife is a de assisted barrage, and only one of the knives tested in the video.
Spoiler they all failed.

If you read what the poster said, he mentioned a standard Barrage - not de-assisted.

I'm trying to imagine a situation I would be in that replicated this? If I am attacking another human I'm not in a pure vertical position and a human is a solid object like a table with 0 give. I'm also not holding the knife like the person is in the video.

Another failure that makes me wonder why people complain... When the liners deform after LOTS of pressure against the spine of the blade. I see that as well engineered personally. No snapping of the blade closed on your hand, just gentle deformation and failure. Liners, lockbar, etc can be replaced. And it takes a LOT of force to do that damage.

Now fingers and their tendons and nerves... Not so easily replaced. So how would you rather a knife fail? Gently, while keeping the blade locked open? Or quickly and violently, snapping the blade shut on your fingers?

This is something BM can test and fix with stronger springs if needed.

instead of a bunch of random people smacking blades on tables.

Has any one thats posted in this thread every used their knife in a life or death situation ? Not sparring or opening MREs but in the real "metal meets the meat" situation. Just asking for a friend. I have ,if you care to talk about it.

I'm trying to imagine a situation I would be in that replicated this?

In this scenario, the attacker notices your Black Class BM knife, chuckles, and asks if you'll pause the battle for a moment so they can demonstrate how easily it will fail with a simple pommel strike. Then you both locate the nearest end table for the demonstration.

At that point you'll start to bond over your mutual enjoyment of fine American-made knives, so there's a 50/50 chance you won't need to finish the fight. Happens more often than you'd think. ;)

Has any one thats posted in this thread every used their knife in a life or death situation ? Not sparring or opening MREs but in the real "metal meets the meat" situation. Just asking for a friend. I have ,if you care to talk about it.

Nope, and if in a situation where I could run or whip out my knife? Well, I can run pretty fast for a fat guy. My shoes are good. I'm no Michael Janich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back