Benchmade Fakes, knock-offs, counterfeits thread...

Someone is selling online locally. Any help will be much appreciated. I remember the box looked different when it was released. Not sure if it was re-released. I requested more pictures from seller and will update when i receive them.

Thanks!!!
OCKG

Someone is selling online locally. Any help will be much appreciated. I remember the box looked different when it was released. Not sure if it was re-released. I requested more pictures from seller and will update when i receive them.

Thanks!!!
OCKG

He's also selling this one. I know it's a VERY commonly counterfeited model.

Thanks!!!
OCKG

The blue box itself is not likely genuine - the real ones ALWAYS have a white label on one end that cover two sides of the box top, and the corners of the label are rounded, like the label on the brown box pin the Crooked River. The Crooked River box looks real.

The type of steel is always listed on the larger top flat side of the box and not on the end part of the box. If a fake box comes with a label, and the label is flipped 180 degrees, so the part that says CPM-S30V is on the small end of the box instead of on the wide flat side of the box, then it's usually fake. I have pics in a previous post in this thread showing the fake box with label flipped 180 degrees, and the label is too shiny.

I have seen people buy used boxes on eBay to go with a real knife, thinking it will raise the value of the knife, but instead implicates the real one as a fake because the box is fake.

The pics of the knives are not high res enough or detailed enough to know if they are real. I have never seen the Sibert model in the picture with the "likely fake" blue box in real life before, so I can't compare vis experience. And just because the box is fake doesn't mean the knife is fake.

Likewise, just because the Crooked river box looks real doesn't mean the knife is real. I have not handled one of those either, but it's hard to believe that Benchmade would have such a poor fit of the wood scales to the Titanium bolsters.

See my previous posts and the following tips below about what to look for in hi-res pics, or in person because we can't tell with the pics provided:

(1) the Butterfly logo look for tiny (R) in a circle that's almost too small to read, and often the print looks more grey as you view it from an angle on the fakes (2) look for fake thumb studs that stick out past the grips when viewing the knife from above the blade opening with knife folded, and (3) look for the tiers or levels on the rings of the thumb studs to go too high and narrower into a tighter cone at the top than a real one (that you bring with to to compare to, you should be able to see a Torx screw pattern inside the thumb stud's hole). (4) Look for rough edges in the holes and (5) poor centering of screws in the holes. (6) Look at the texture of the G-10 which if real should almost have a "grain" to it like wood. (7) most of the time Benchmade blades have grind patterns and many fakes will be stonewashed with no going or grain in the blade. (8) The Torx screws will usually have a different shape to the holes for the stars on genuine Benchmade knives than the fakes - one a real one the top of the screw head is like a half-dome, where the Torx hole just drops like a cliff from the rounded edges down.

In this case, the printing on the blade of the Crooked River looks grayer and blurrier than genuine, but the printing on the Sibert with "fake" box looks darker and blacker like the real thing. But still not enough detail to see the (R) to the bottom right of the butterfly to see if the size is right.

I just grabbed my Mini Griptilian and took pics of there real screws, logo, and thumb studs to use for comparison. It's dirty and was in my pocket, but the pics are good enough.

IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG

IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG

Fake screws in irregular shaped/sized holes, with no texture to the G-10.

sloppy cut holes and no texture on grips.JPG

Real screws, clean holes, and textured G-10. If your knives have GRN not G-10, then look at the mini grip pics for the texture above.

properly cut holes and correct texture on real knife.JPG

Look at these fake thumb studs vs real - fake left, real on the right.

incorrect shape to thumb studs and liners.JPG

More fake thumb studs pics - real one is the black blade, fake is the stonewashed satin blade. See how fake thumb studs are more of a tower shape and get taller and narrower really quickly?

Also the fake knife reversed the direction of all the grip and pivot screws to come into the wrong side.

wrong hardware and logo and placement.JPG

Last edited:
The blue box itself is not likely genuine - the real ones ALWAYS have a white label on one end that cover two sides of the box top, and the corners of the label are rounded, like the label on the brown box pin the Crooked River. The Crooked River box looks real.

The type of steel is always listed on the larger top flat side of the box and not on the end part of the box. If a fake box comes with a label, and the label is flipped 180 degrees, so the part that says CPM-S30V is on the small end of the box instead of on the wide flat side of the box, then it's usually fake. I have pics in a previous post in this thread showing the fake box with label flipped 180 degrees, and the label is too shiny.

I have seen people buy used boxes on eBay to go with a real knife, thinking it will raise the value of the knife, but instead implicates the real one as a fake because the box is fake.

The pics of the knives are not high res enough or detailed enough to know if they are real. I have never seen the Sibert model in the picture with the "likely fake" blue box in real life before, so I can't compare vis experience. And just because the box is fake doesn't mean the knife is fake.

Likewise, just because the Crooked river box looks real doesn't mean the knife is real. I have not handled one of those either, but it's hard to believe that Benchmade would have such a poor fit of the wood scales to the Titanium bolsters.

See my previous posts and the following tips below about what to look for in hi-res pics, or in person because we can't tell with the pics provided:

(1) the Butterfly logo look for tiny (R) in a circle that's almost too small to read, and often the print looks more grey as you view it from an angle on the fakes (2) look for fake thumb studs that stick out past the grips when viewing the knife from above the blade opening with knife folded, and (3) look for the tiers or levels on the rings of the thumb studs to go too high and narrower into a tighter cone at the top than a real one (that you bring with to to compare to, you should be able to see a Torx screw pattern inside the thumb stud's hole). (4) Look for rough edges in the holes and (5) poor centering of screws in the holes. (6) Look at the texture of the G-10 which if real should almost have a "grain" to it like wood. (7) most of the time Benchmade blades have grind patterns and many fakes will be stonewashed with no going or grain in the blade. (8) The Torx screws will usually have a different shape to the holes for the stars on genuine Benchmade knives than the fakes - one a real one the top of the screw head is like a half-dome, where the Torx hole just drops like a cliff from the rounded edges down.

In this case, the printing on the blade of the Crooked River looks grayer and blurrier than genuine, but the printing on the Sibert with "fake" box looks darker and blacker like the real thing. But still not enough detail to see the (R) to the bottom right of the butterfly to see if the size is right.

I just grabbed my Mini Griptilian and took pics of there real screws, logo, and thumb studs to use for comparison. It's dirty and was in my pocket, but the pics are good enough.

View attachment 2029167
View attachment 2029180

View attachment 2029168
View attachment 2029169

View attachment 2029173

Real screws, clean holes, and textured G-10. If your knives have GRN not G-10, then look at the mini grip pics for the texture above.

View attachment 2029174

View attachment 2029171

More fake thumb studs pics - real one is the black blade, fake is the stonewashed satin blade. See how fake thumb studs are more of a tower shape and get taller and narrower really quickly?

Also the fake knife reversed the direction of all the grip and pivot screws to come into the wrong side.

View attachment 2029176
Thank you so much for your insight and knowledge!!!

The gentleman sent me these pictures just now, i asked for closeups of the blade logo and box. Still waiting on those. Yeah the blue box looked a bit odd to me also. That box is 100% fake in ur opinion?

View attachment 2029167
View attachment 2029180

View attachment 2029168
View attachment 2029169

View attachment 2029173

View attachment 2029174

View attachment 2029171

View attachment 2029176
Yeah......I'm thinking ur right, the box is definitely a fake.

Yeah......I'm thinking ur right, the box is definitely a fake.

The fake boxes also always fold the paper inside wrong, and they always get the foam wrong. This paper is folded wrong.

You still need a picture of the foam inside the box - the real foam looks like a blocky or chunky black styrofoam, and if they use a foam that is closer to the soft squishy foam air filter that you'd see on a Amsoil car air filter or on a home air purifier, then the foam is fake = fake box.

Can you not upload the original pics instead of screenshots? Your screen shots are limited to the resolution of your phone screen, which may only be 1-2 megapixel, while the original photo might be 8 megapixels.

The fake boxes also always fold the paper inside wrong, and they always get the foam wrong. This paper is folded wrong.

You still need a picture of the foam inside the box - the real foam looks like a blocky or chunky black styrofoam, and if they use a foam that is closer to the soft squishy foam air filter that you'd see on a Amsoil car air filter or on a home air purifier, then the foam is fake = fake box.

Can you not upload the original pics instead of screenshots? Your screen shots are limited to the resolution of your phone screen, which may only be 1-2 megapixel, while the original photo might be 8 megapixels.
I uploaded the box. It has NO foam 😂.
I'm new to the forum. I was trying to add the images straight to the post and i couldn't figure it out. I have to add a link.

Screenshot 20221228-200731 looks fake.
Screenshot 20221228-201010 looks real.

Your real pic came from eBay.

Screenshot 20221228-200731 looks fake.
Screenshot 20221228-201010 looks real.

Your real pic came from eBay.
Yeah the 2nd was from ebay.
Ok i think this is all the information I need!

Thank you VERY much for your time!!! I'm gonna pass on the knife.

Your knife looks to have the wrong shape on the thumb stud - it doesn't get narrow enough at the top and has a fatter wall at the top. Your screws don't look as crisp as real ones.

This listing 404050214828 shows what a genuine vintage box might look like.

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 9.32.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 9.32.06 PM.png

From another listing - the genuine vintage box with the blue soft foam that Benchmade used before they got copied so much, and the manual doesn't fold tight into multiple folds like with the newer boxes:

s-l1600.jpg

saw this on the bay the other day. you’d think there’s at least TRY to get the model name right. love the name of the model, “bending channel” just kinda rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it? D81B6799-AA49-469F-B9B1-1DD32FE98B25.jpeg

What do you guys think? Real or a copy?

I'm not an expert, but I would say that based on those pictures, I don't see any signs of it being fake. The Osborne logo looks correct, while the fake 810s trend to be sloppy there. Another big indicator is the narrowness of the spine, with the fakes staying pretty thick. Unfortunately there's no top down shot showing this.

I'm sure that this has been shared here before, but this is a great video showing off a known counterfeit 810 comparing it to real ones:

I'm not an expert, but I would say that based on those pictures, I don't see any signs of it being fake. The Osborne logo looks correct, while the fake 810s trend to be sloppy there. Another big indicator is the narrowness of the spine, with the fakes staying pretty thick. Unfortunately there's no top down shot showing this.

I'm sure that this has been shared here before, but this is a great video showing off a known counterfeit 810 comparing it to real ones:
Thank you much.

i don’t know, the font on the M390 looks off to me. not saying it’s fake but that’s one of the things i look for

Fakes always get the hardware like thumb studs, axis lock bar, and screws wrong. These look correct to me.

Also, the fakes often get the holes for screws, pivot, and/or axis lock bar hole wrong, with rough of uneven edges or holes that are not perfectly round, or screws are not centered. These all look good.

And, the fakes often get the texture of the G10 scales wrong, and these look good to me.

Back