Benchmade Fakes, knock-offs, counterfeits thread...

Just saw this Barrage on ebay selling for $28 from China, 3 already sold, either using a different photo than actual picture of the clone their selling, or their getting damn good at cloning to precision. I'm done buying Benchmade as have already with most other cloned knife brands off ebay.

1TToZsG.jpg

I don't see it on ebay anymore. How do you know it was from China?

Question guys...
I have one benchmade that I bought from a reputable store. Forget the model but it's the little auto, half alum, and half g10. $148.00 shipped

Now the question... Going to auction sites HOW does one know the fakes from the real. ESPECIALLY for a newb.

I know the fakes on the China sites for 30 bucks but Lets say Craigs or the Flea.
Let's also say the price is so close to the real... How would one know?

I don't see it on ebay anymore. How do you know it was from China?
There were 3 that were sold already and 1 left when saw the listing. It said it was shipping from China. If I see more of them will send you a link to the listing.

Edit, see Corey got it covered already

Question guys...
I have one benchmade that I bought from a reputable store. Forget the model but it's the little auto, half alum, and half g10. $148.00 shipped

Now the question... Going to auction sites HOW does one know the fakes from the real. ESPECIALLY for a newb.

I know the fakes on the China sites for 30 bucks but Lets say Craigs or the Flea.
Let's also say the price is so close to the real... How would one know?

A lot of the fake stuff isn't even modeled after a real Benchmade. Sometimes someone just makes a crappy knife and puts a Benchmade logo on it. The best way to avoid those is to familiarize yourself with all the legitimate models that have been made.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/benchmade-catalogs-1990-2017.1502871/

https://web.archive.org/web/2015032...com:80/products/product_list.aspx?category=50

Other things to look out for are models that look similar to actual Benchmades, but have distinct differences. Like a flipper that shouldn't be a flipper, or a liner lock that should be an axis lock. Sometimes the box can be a tell tale sign of a fake, but it would also be easy for a person to put a fake knife in a real box, so you can't always trust that. To my knowledge there's really only a few models where the fakes are similar enough to the real thing to where you actually need to study the knife to tell the difference...Infidel, some of the balisongs, liner lock stryker, nimravus, 940-1, and probably a few others. They're still fairly easy to spot if you know what to look for. There's youtube videos comparing real vs fake on a few of them.

Thank you Corey.
I've seen a few of the Utube vids. That is the ONLY reason I am aware that this is a real issue.
I'm bookmarking your links so I can study them in detail.

Hitting the like button for your time.
Thanks!

HellFire... The very first knife on the second link ( AXIS® Limited Edition Discontinued )
is one that I have bought on line for 28.00/frre shipping. Here in the U.S.
This is exactly my point in asking... I had no way of knowing this is a BM product. Neither do (i'm guessing) millions of others.

I've got a LOT of learning to do!

Last edited:
The first knife I see on that second link is a 710-143, which is a $700-$800 knife.

Once you learn the difference it's hard to miss. Another vote goes out to places like KW and GPK who will backup what they sell. Knowing your product simply comes with practice!

Once you learn the difference it's hard to miss. Another vote goes out to places like KW and GPK who will backup what they sell. Knowing your product simply comes with practice!

That's what I did when I first got into the hobby, just bought from reputable dealers. Once I got familiar with the brand, I became comfortable enough to start buying from other places if I found something at a good price. Haven't got duped yet, but I did have a close call on an Infidel at a gun show. Looked real inside the glass case, but once I got it in hand I noticed it had goofy numbers for the model number and blade steel.

I'm just a little overwhelmed at how complex knife collecting has gotten. :confused:

Sorry for side tracking this informative thread w/ personal B.S.

Once again, know your product. That's legit. First, fit and finish is excellent on this knife. Once you get to know the product, it's easy to tell the difference. Nothing seems to be amiss and I'd go from there.

I'm starting to see these pop up in more places.
https://item.mercari.com/gl/m70743193861/
First I saw them on ebay, then I saw one on YouTube, and now on this site. The carbon fiber looks really good on them, but the blade is just not quite right; nor are the thumbstud and location of the etching. Has anyone else seen these before?

Oh, well, nevermind. Literally just went a page back and saw the reply to this thread about this fake. Still concerning to me.

Back