Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

There are probably a good number of people on the forum that may not know it is the heaviest wood in the world and will not float, period. Until the late 50's, it was used in ships for certain bearings, because it happens to be self-lubricating. Hard to imagine, and pardon me for lifting the following text from online, where i got an education on LV and it's amazing properties, over the years. "The aft main shaft strut bearings for USS Nautilus (SSN-571), the world's first nuclear-powered submarine, were composed of this wood."

I'm a huge fan of LV and glad to see it getting some love here. The real stuff is amazing but I like the "almost as good" quite a bit as well.

Couple of other tidbits..

It is bug-proof and rot proof. They have actually found posts from houses made from LV buried in the ground that pre-date the birth of Christ.

It is also reactive to UV light and the lighter toned wood will turn wonderful hues of green when exposed to sunlight.

I have a block in my shop that's about 4'x8"x5" IIRC that I bought 15+ years ago to make a rifle stock from. I didn't use it for that purpose but have been pulling small pieces off for knife scales and pistol grips over the years. I'll be in my shop tomorrow and will try to post some pictures with a few on topic knifes on it :)

I'm a huge fan of LV and glad to see it getting some love here. The real stuff is amazing but I like the "almost as good" quite a bit as well.

Couple of other tidbits..

It is bug-proof and rot proof. They have actually found posts from houses made from LV buried in the ground that pre-date the birth of Christ.

It is also reactive to UV light and the lighter toned wood will turn wonderful hues of green when exposed to sunlight.

I have a block in my shop that's about 4'x8"x5" IIRC that I bought 15+ years ago to make a rifle stock from. I didn't use it for that purpose but have been pulling small pieces off for knife scales and pistol grips over the years. I'll be in my shop tomorrow and will try to post some pictures with a few on topic knifes on it :)

Wow! That’s amazing! This LV is really interesting wood. Look forward to seeing your pics. Thanks for the tip Chad. I think my LV is going to get a little sunlight! :thumbsup:;)

gYM5vkg.jpg

Sorry for the delayed pictures with the LV.. my block is a little smaller than first reported but it's been buried for a while. The bigger one i have is an amazing piece of white ebony that's begging for a project :)

This piece shows a lot of the variation LV can have, everything from the darker browns to the greens to the creams. The side grain is spectacular.

The knife shown is a Michael Moing Higonokami and the hawk is a DLC Coated MT-1 from Red Rock Rifleworks, both soon to be fitted with proper leather.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

Sorry for the delayed pictures with the LV.. my block is a little smaller than first reported but it's been buried for a while. The bigger one i have is an amazing piece of white ebony that's begging for a project :)

This piece shows a lot of the variation LV can have, everything from the darker browns to the greens to the creams. The side grain is spectacular.

The knife shown is a Michael Moing Higonokami and the hawk is a DLC Coated MT-1 from Red Rock Rifleworks, both soon to be fitted with proper leather.

View attachment 1108298

View attachment 1108299

View attachment 1108300

That’s some nice LV Chad, and the knife and hawk aren’t too shabby either! :thumbsup::D

Some time in the past year, one of the regulars here graciously gifted me an ESEE4 with micarta slabs (which might be the most accurate description of the stock handle) and black coated blade. It was a gift because he knew I always wanted one as a project knife. I tried to do this one justice.

Over the past year I collected up the materials. Knowing I was going to put a dark patina (red wine vinegar and mustard) I wanted a lighter handle. These scales are spalted eucalyptus and have some great rays that flash pretty well. Blue liners because black seemed too severe. Mosaic pins because, well, look at 'em.

After stripping and fitting the handles the blade got tumbled for an hour in a large stonewash/tumbler at my work. Then the patina.

20190414_104258~01.jpg 20190414_104206~01.jpg 20190414_104245~01.jpg 20190414_104324~01.jpg

Last edited:
Spartan "Horkos", and "Ronin Shinto" Both in a handle material soon to be offered by CPK "Double Black Canvas" :thumbsup::eek::cool:
EDIT: My Source tells me the Double Black is actually easier to Machine than the Regular Black Canvas.
FvR7DTN.jpg

bDcppvu.jpg

vxmBeit.jpg

Last edited:
Nitro-V, CF, & white linen micarta
Made for me by Justin at Running Man Forge. Been using it for about a year, and I really dig it. Touching up the edge occasionally is the only maintenance it’s ever had, and it still looks almost new after all that mileage.
F582C4F6-9317-49FE-91F6-9E480A9D0FD0.jpeg

Back