Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

Before I found Carothers and this crazy enabling group I was buying some TRC fixed blades. I like his work also. Then there’s the random Spyderco, Microtech, and Firstedge fixed blades.

1st photo - Left to Right

Firstedge Elmax
Firstedge Elmax
TRC Elmax (Next 5) ......actually the TRC Persian is M390
Carothers D3V (Next 7)
Spyderco Tanto VG10
Microtech Elmax

Attachments

• 319F3F3F-854E-4A29-B3A3-89B273EEE37A.jpeg
    319F3F3F-854E-4A29-B3A3-89B273EEE37A.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 2E5B1F7C-AA51-4C48-9367-E5E57DF14A6B.jpeg
    2E5B1F7C-AA51-4C48-9367-E5E57DF14A6B.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 939C4FF8-287C-4979-85D8-8CFDF1AE8D9F.jpeg
    939C4FF8-287C-4979-85D8-8CFDF1AE8D9F.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 56E1E134-4913-4BF6-9175-28DA3A35F717.jpeg
    56E1E134-4913-4BF6-9175-28DA3A35F717.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 15EC2E10-F107-4CDD-8953-DE6256F2F6AD.jpeg
    15EC2E10-F107-4CDD-8953-DE6256F2F6AD.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
@Nathan the Machinist I'm very interested in the grind which as you say transitions from deep hollow to flat closer to the tip. This is obviously a huge advantage of your machining methods.
Do you agree, that although nearly impossible to do accurately, one could attempt it by hand, by starting on a small wheel and then rotating the blade as you move down the bevel? Assuming that your wheel is wider than the height of the bevel.

This AEBL Kwaiken by Phillip Patton transitions from a hollow to a flat grind at the tip.
LWx49Or.jpg

Gorgeous knife by the way. Unless I'm mistaken, the hollow grind here has a fixed constant radius, and then the tip is flat ground (what I call a compound grind).
What I'm after is Nathan's effect of increasing the radius of the hollow grind as you move toward the tip, thus slowly becoming flatter.
I know he did this on the large dagger a year or two ago, but I was excited to see it make its way into the boot dagger.

Gorgeous knife by the way. Unless I'm mistaken, the hollow grind here has a fixed constant radius, and then the tip is flat ground (what I call a compound grind).
What I'm after is Nathan's effect of increasing the radius of the hollow grind as you move toward the tip, thus slowly becoming flatter.
I know he did this on the large dagger a year or two ago, but I was excited to see it make its way into the boot dagger.

Thanks, I had a feeling that’s what you meant after I posted. I’m also very excited about these boot daggers.

Well, I like high quality knives of the modern variety. Modern steels, modern designs, modern materials.

So:
Spyderco
ZT
Busse
Esee
Becker

Yes. Becker and esee (to a lesser extent) are rather pedestrian compared to a lot of the knives I own/use/carry, but they are all around functional and well made. I also don't worry about absconding on the maintenance or general care of them. Which for some uses (like stashing in my truck box for random tasks or lending), is perfect. (I'd never hand one of my "nice" knives out. Most people treat their blades like crap and don't understand that mirrored edge took me hours to create and refine..... and they go and cut a piece of cheese over a ceramic plate, I hear my edge clink, and regret instantly enters.....

So yeah, I cheat on my nice knives at times with "mass produced" knives. I feel kinda dirty admitting it.

It’s amazing how fast time passes. I apologize for the platitude but years ago, way before the internet existed, I met who’s become and old and dear friend: Tony Bose. That was in the late eighties or so. And if the internet existed back then, we didn’t know about it.

In any case, Tony had started working with some wonder steel: 440V. By then I had a bunch of knives, but mostly hunted with 01 steel Randall knives. The new steel blew my mind and still does. Tony’s 440V knives remain the best I have ever used. I mean folding as well as fixed blade knives.

Many moons have passed since I got my first knife from Tony. Since that first knife from him I have bought other knives out of curiosity or just because. But when out in the field or on the water, I make sure I carry a Bose knife when it come to work. When I travel, I always carry one of his knives.

I’ve been away from home for some months now and some good friends from way back when have recommended that I try the CPK knives. So far I’m utterly well impressed. They are heavier than most Bose knives (Tony has made some great field knives for me, mostly high carbon steel), probably tougher, the jury’s still out on how long, comparatively, they stay sharp, but this is not about comparing the product of two great craftsmen. The point is that I’m very pleased to have run into CPK knives at this point, while my old time favorite have been my old pal’s very awesome knives.

I’m posting an old picture I found on my IPad, I’m away from home so that's all I have at the moment.

1DF8E285-7894-4A29-9AD7-072A90D70EEC.jpeg

Nice set of patterns you have pictured there, do you still own all of them? Did Tony do his own heat treat on the 440v? Nice :)
Yes, I keep them all, use them, and I have others, mostly fixed blade. I don’t recall ever selling a knife, any knife. And, yes, he heat treats his blades. I own a drop point fixed blade in D2 from Reese which keeps and edge way better than any other D2 blade I have tried. Great people. And thank you for the kind words.

Back