Best car chases of all time

I'll go with Bullitt, also. I never saw that on the big screen, but it was still a "hold on to your seat" experience, even when watching it on tv.

Another one I'll go with is The Road Warrior. Hell, half of that film was a chase scene!

Another vote for Bullitt.

And, of course, the Honorable Mention Award has to go to the TV show CHIPs. Every week they just plain brought it with yet another awesome "high speed" freeway chase. Judging by how quickly the dashed lane stripes flashed by on the screen, I'm guessing that those professional stunt drivers were reaching speeds in excess of 25 or maybe even 30 mph! How did they do it? ;):D

One of my good friends here in Japan is a former California CHIPS motorcycle officer. He says he was once chasing in the lead of full pursuit of a bad guy and got shot off his cycle by a shotgun blast to the chest. He had armor, but the other pursuers were totally impressed by his gettin blown off his cycle. Beats anything I ever saw on TV. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

I believe they were supposed to be in Thailand or some other SEAsian country in that scene. I wanna say the movie was The Man With the Golden Gun.
Ya, that was Man With The Golden Gun. The only cool car chase in history to feature two American Motors cars.

My vote goes to Bullit, too. Two awesome cars, great location, great sound effects, great Lalo Schiffrin soundtrack, and a real movie star instead of the nephew of some some famous director.

BTW, my mother actually spotted Steve McQueen just north of San Francisco Chinatown during a break in the filming throwing a football around with some local kids. He was nice enough to sign an autograph for her, and gave her a poster for LeMans, another one of his films.

ya guys have mentioned lotsa good chases but the best one is in "to live and die in LA".

Bullitt is the RW Loveless of car chases. There have been better ones made since, but NONE so groundbreaking and inspirational for it's era.

That's why it is the classic choice and will always be. :thumbup:

Coop

Surprised no one mentioned ronin. But I would say French Connection tops it.

I was just going to say Ronin. Not the beast movie, but a wicked long car chase, with all those noisy, whiney European cars.

I think Bullit takes it. Sweet cars flying around the hills of San Fran. Too bad they didn't hit any um... locals.

i know it's not a movie, but should be.
the OJ freeway chase, my family laughed and watched the whole thing.
just the funniest car chase to date that i have seen.

Thanks. It was The Man With the Golden Gun. Here's a brief from Wikipedia:

A great stunt in the film takes place using the UNIVAC computer-calculated 'Calspan Spiral', permitting a fantastic feat of automotive acrobatics, until that time considered physically impossible.

-bob

I'll go with Bullitt, also. I never saw that on the big screen, but it was still a "hold on to your seat" experience, even when watching it on tv.

Another one I'll go with is The Road Warrior. Hell, half of that film was a chase scene!

I'll second the Road Warrior. Crazy stunts in the last half hour.

Frank

I just watched Children Of Men the other night and it had an outstanding scene where a car is ambushed and chased by a mob and two men on a motorcycle. It was all done in one amazing shot that must have lasted five minutes, it goes from comedy to action to tragedy without a cut or pause.

Agreed. The whole movie was intense but that one scene really startled me. Laughing and joking...whoa, that's a mob...oh, sh!+...BANG...OH, SH!+

Frank

how about the PA state police catching gov. Rendell's car for speeding.
i do that people here in PA still get a laugh out of it.

What about the original Gone in 60 seconds and the remake?
I didn't see the original, but the remake was terrible and all of the car chases looked phony.

-Bob

for movie chase seen, i like the one in The Rock.

Have you seen Bullitt? If you haven't and you enjoyed The Rock, you must watch it to realize Bullitt's impact, as well as how unoriginal the chase in The Rock was.

imho to live and die is every bit the equal of bullit in car chases.......has anyone seen it??

The Mini-Cooper scene in The Bourne Identity through the streets of Paris is worth mentioning as well.

Back