best for home defense?

Mr Bowie
Get a Khuk for fun. If SWMBO doesn’t do guns get something with a little more reach like a baseball bat, walking staff or other poll arm.

Hammer time :cool:

Warhammer.jpg

put a LOUD alarm on doors and windows.

have 911 on speed-dial.

stop reading the "armed citizen" page of NRA magazines.

Noise and light do more to protect than guns and knives.

Be safe.

KIS, no offense but the following is my personal opinion.
Deterrence (lights & sound, alarm placard, large dog & offensive ground cover) does more to protect one from crime by making the thug(s) pick an easier target. Once they are in the property its time to;1) retreat or 2) deal decisively with them regardless of their mental or chemical shortcomings. It’s much easier to live with the legal bills after surviving than to die trying.

I would go with a BAS (nice basic knife) or a kobra under 18" (a little more exotic), keep your girl get a kurkri and a good alarm, there are enough guns in the world.

BTW, if you're like the rest of us, once you buy your first kukri, you'll have about 6 more in another month, so it's a moot point. Just pick the one you like best and throw the rest of them at the bad guy (who says kukris don't have range? ;) ), while running down the hall naked yelling something about Sparta. . .

Dang Spartans...always running around naked and screaming with something big and sharp.... can't take 'em anywhere.

Might as well be irish......(b4 I get tagged...I"M Irish).

Yeah, I'm Scot, Irish and Norwegian with a little Kraut thrown in in the last generation. I'll have trouble deciding which sword, knife or axe I'll be going berserker with.

There's no way I'm bringing a knife to a gun fight. I have no illusions of being a badass.
Many states and municipalities don't look kindly upon using edged weapons for self defense.

Buy a Mossberg HS410. A .410 shotgun has more muzzle energy than a .357 revolver, won't cause the same level of hearing damage, can be loaded with 3" mag buckshot loads containing 5 000 buck pellets for defense, and she can shoot it without it abusing her shoulder. Take her shooting. Introduce her to the wonderful world of shooting. Show her that guns are good, and criminals are bad.
A home invader can kill you and be long gone before the first responders arrive.
Guns are not bad. They do not cause crime. They only do what you make them do. Just like cars don't cause DUI or vehicular homicide. It's the loose nut behind the steering wheel.
Home invaders often arrive in pairs and packs.
Unfortunately, the most effective light and noise for crime prevention is muzzle flash and blast.
Having been on the receiving end of 2 attempted carjackings, I can say that the bad guys weren't impressed with light and noise. In fact, they both occurred in broad daylight. My .357 stopped one, and my Makarov stopped the other, both without firing a single shot.

The armed citizen portion of American Rifleman is comprised of factual accounts, unlike liberal anti-gun rhetoric, which is based on lies, half-truths, emotions, and paranoia.

put a LOUD alarm on doors and windows.

have 911 on speed-dial.

stop reading the "armed citizen" page of NRA magazines.

Noise and light do more to protect than guns and knives.

Be safe.

I can agree to that except for the 911 on speed dial thing... firstly, because of the off-chance of accidental calls (it's 3 buttons for a reason people!) and secondly, because it's not as universal as people think - you're much better off having your local police/fire department in your contacts (not speed dial)

As for the question of home defense, it's an ongoing argument and both sides have valid points. There's that case of an old man who successfully averted a home robbery with a gun - upon finding out that the gun was unregistered, the police took it away. He was robbed again at a later date, and without a means to protect himself, was strangled to death. I personally don't own a gun though, and if I did, I would keep it in a case, ammo and bolt separate, for recreational/hunting usage. Why? Because statistically, an unloaded gun kept accessible is 500% more likely to hurt a loved one than an intruder whereas a loaded one is an astonishing 900%. The percentage of break-ins that involve a gun-wielding robber is also VERY slim (I can't recall the percentage off the top of my head), so the idea of "gun-to-a-knife-fight" is nothing but fallacy...

Khukris on the other hand are tools and I see no reason to put them away when kitchen knives are just as accessible... I don't live in an area known for crime, but if I did, I would rely on alarms first-most and whatever makeshift weapon happens to be closest second

Last edited:
Taser followed by a baseball bat session if you're not proficient with weapons.
Where I live it's not unusual to have a 20 minute hold before you can actually talk to a human when calling 911.
It's a pipe dream to think the cops can save you in a crisis scenario.

A khuk wouldn't be my first choice an SD weapon. If your against the idea of using a gun (which I must confess is quite suprizing considering you list your location as Arizona) get an aluminum basball bat. It's lighter and will have a better reach. A khuk can certainly be used as a weapon no prob but I can only imagine if you ever had to use one against someone, the reaction of the cops and DA will be. Still I highly suggest if you serious about an SD weapon, get a gun and take some training classes on how to properly use it.

apparently I caused the good Corp some discomfort with my reply so I shall remove it.

Carry on, as you all certainly have been doing.

Last edited:
Back on track
No Khuk for me till my tennis elbow heals up:grumpy: Then I’m gonna shark the first small wood handled special that gets posted:D

Taser followed by a baseball bat session if you're not proficient with weapons.
Where I live it's not unusual to have a 20 minute hold before you can actually talk to a human when calling 911.
It's a pipe dream to think the cops can save you in a crisis scenario.

Even in a self defense scenario, beating someone after they've been disabled is going to be very much frowned upon
I really wouldn't want to use a khuk to defend myself unless it was ENTIRELY necessary and ONLY if it were the closest thing available... I agree with SK86 on the bat - it would be MUCH easier to explain it's usage for self defense - Sadly, the same goes for a gun :(

a lot depends on where you live and the laws on the books as to what is explainable and even if you will be required to explain.

ok just want to clear one thing up I can shoot and have since I was 5 years old but my guns are with my dad in my one ton safe.

sounds like the safe is well protected.

I'm adding this so you know.... I'm just teasing. No offense meant.

Last edited:
Back