best for home defense?

i went thru all this to see if anyone had mentioned the hauswehr, new model based on a german original, one on special offer today in auntie's special offer. hauswehr is 'house war' and was designed specifically for use inside the house for defense when the baddies came. not a khuk, but i like the guard.

while not the 1st, i'll add my vote. failing that an m43...

the nepali bowie range is also something to consider: i don't have an HI one but there are a couple of HI models similar to this original:

P4120017_DCE.jpg

living in a country that only allows criminals and the govt. to own firearms, a sharp pointy thing is the best thing available to me, even tho i'd get arrested for violating a perps civil rights if i used one. i have a small assortment to choose from :) most within easy reach of the bedside, or at least on the way out of the bedroom.

Last edited:
I too live in a country that outlaws firearm self defence.So I've got a seax under the bed, along with a maglite.

Well, one of the nice things about a khuk is you don't HAVE to use the sharp edge. Just flip it and you can knock some knees and elbows. A 3/8th + steel bar is disabling but not lethal.

If you have the presence of mind. O'course, then that begs the previous comments about getting a bat.

Man, Kronchew, just seeing that thing makes me want it all the more...

But I suppose I will just have to hope for a Giant Chitlangi Bowie if these ever make the rounds again.

Well, one of the nice things about a khuk is you don't HAVE to use the sharp edge. Just flip it and you can knock some knees and elbows. A 3/8th + steel bar is disabling but not lethal.

If you have the presence of mind. O'course, then that begs the previous comments about getting a bat.

I didn't think of that actually, but you're right. The khuk makes a nice impromptu hammer.:thumbup:

While firearms are rather obviously the best choice, in the world of the sharp n' pointy for home defense I prefer a short stabbing spear. Little more range, little faster, lots harder to block, lots less likely to get snagged in a wall while swinging it etc.

I want a khuk just because they're nifty, but I admit I have wondered which would be best in an altercation. Siru for speed, or a heavier chopper for moar powa?

Definitely a good choice. Next thing you know, you'll be collecting them.

Congrats! The WWII is a great all around knife and is definately suitible for self defense should you ever have to use it (hopefully you never do though).

Wolf where I live crossbows are treated much like rifles and have to be registered,(and locked up) and bows are somewhat unweildy inside.Hence I chose what suits myself the best.I chose from quite a good selection of medieval and modern weapons that I own.

There are reports of many a "disagreement" settled in Nepal by a good thump with the spine of a khuk. Of course, if you live and die by your knife then you are going to know it forwards and backwards.

One of the better tales I remember, that is if memory serves me correctly, is an altercation where the dispute was settled when one man drew his khuk and scored the other guy's ear. Now, I'm sure that it made a nasty mess, but how many of you guys could unsheath and instinctively wield a 1.5lb knife to hit a target the size of an ear and ONLY damage it and not the guy's head or cleave straight into his clavicle:eek:

Good choice on the WWII. Once upon a time, way back when I only had two khuks, an 18" WWII set readily by my bed. Actually, even though the bed has moved a couple of places...it still does;)

The logic of defense lies more in "scaring" the opponent. It's always better to scare the opponent away than to get in real combat.

If you want to scare the opponent, pls go with sharp edge, pointed peak, long in shape,... From my experience, a toy with glossy, shinny surface would create a better fear. A Siru or Kobra falling in the size of 20"+ would be suitable in my view.

If we fail in scaring, a pair of good running shoe is best for defense as our toy is now in the opponent's hand.

Do not look at weapon alone for self defense but let's make anything around your house become your defense tool. A rolled magazine or a grab of sand (for attacking the eye), an umbrella, a baseball club (for hitting the joints), and some basic martial art skill (in getting loose) are neccessary...

Having a good toy does not guarant successful defense. It also requires some skill of using it effectively. We often get nervous in encounter, from that leading to wrong judgement and reaction. Then it needs some practice though.

Cheers,

Hung

Back