Best Kukri For Survival of The FiTTeST? END of The World, SHTF Scenarios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think something like a "16,5 CAK or a light WWII "18 would be my choice. Face it, all khukuris from "12 - "15 that are not extremely heavy are fearsome weapons because they can take off an arm in a single blow. Isn't that what you need against zombies? Hence, a good allrounder that doesn't weigh too much is what you'd want.

Mac

M4cr0s and davidf99 are right on target for your topic: Best Kukri For Survival of The Fittest? END of The World, worst Scenarios?
Because you would need:
1. Something to carry all day on your hip = lighter weight = 550 to 650 grams (19 to 22 oz)
2. A fighter for personal protection = blade length = 12" to 14" (31 cm to 36 cm)
3. The Kukri should feel good in your hand so you must test the Kukri for hot spots and balance.
4. Tough all round use for survival in nature = Kukri = Himalayan Imports are some of the toughest in the World.
kukri BAS.jpg
For myself I would get a fast 20 oz, 18" O.A., Sirupate because I emphasize self protection more in any survival scenario. I also just love them :D.
Siru.jpg

My most used Khukuri is a 14 inch 20 ounce BDC by Lachhu, I love it. Fits my hand like a glow, handy size and well balanced. I use it for cooking, woodcraft, chopping, as close to an EDC as I have ever had. (Laws and social code forbid walking around with a knife this big in public.) At home and as a camp knife it shines, i'v given it a 30 degree 50\50 edge, and I can dry shave my beard with no problem. Something magical with the weight and size of the handle that makes it feel like an extention of my arm. I would with out no doubt bring this if shtf.

Against sluggish Zombies though, I would go for something more playful :tranquillity: . The Chitlangi bowie I suspect would be on my back, saved for the really, really big F"#¤"s :tyrannosaurus: , nothing I have can outcut this solid piece of steel, not even my beloved Granfors Scandinavian forrest axe. In the right hand I guess you would find Raj's Fighting sword :love-struck: in the left, something more gentle and pointed for close quarters, another one of my most precious... The survival knife :eagerness:, that should do the trick :)

Thinking about it, the survival knife is naturally a close contender to the BDC for real life emergency situations, actually I'm not so sertain I would pick the extention of my arm after all, The survival knife has so many potential functions: sticksword, spear, trapping, survival kit container and so on. Yea the HI survival knife is my choice.

Against zombies my choice would be my HI Indonesian sword. Nothing else I have would hack and chop Zombies up as well - well maybe my 20.5 inch AK would give it a run for the money.
If I encounter any living dead I'll try and make a video of me using both so we can see which works better.

supercak2.jpg

from khadka, barnone.

badass

hmmmm...the pic isn't showing up.

Pshhh I'll take all my blades with me! I have a SOG tigershark(the made in Japan one) with a custom paracord handle for throwing. It has a 9" blade. I would for sure take my HI 12" blade sirupate. It it like an extension of my arm. I guess I would have to take my 'Chukkuri" from EGKH too... it has like a 13" blade and a partially sharpened spine. Then I would take my Rajah II by cold steel for a backup because it is awesome and could probably cut a arm off... Then I would take my SOG Spirit so that I could have a spear... Damn that means the benchmade 710 and all my other folders. Oh dang i have to take my Tom Brown Tracker too! But to top it off I would get like a 22" GRS!!!! SWISS ARMY KNIFE!

I have been reading this site for the last 3 months religiously.. I have read the Himalayan site from top to bottom a couple of times now too.. Its ALL becoming a blur..

All this because I wanted a Kukri.. The internet led me to Cold Steel versions as being one of the best kuk you could get.. And shoot at those prices I could easily afford 2-3 of them..

BUT somehow I stumbled upon the HI website and its "authentic" Kukri's.. but UNFORTUNATELY the prices are UNATTAINABLE for me right now.. but then I discovered these DOTD's on this forum.. so NOW i have hope.. I have been saving for some months now.. and I might be able to soon afford one in the $60 - $90 range...

I am looking into one for a WORST CASE SCENARIO, SHTF type..

Lets say the Walking Dead(zombies) happens tomorrow.... WHICH Kukri would serve best?

from this site, I learned 15" is probably the best size to get started in..

So there you have it..

let me know what you all think or opine on this topic?

many thanks to you all and this forum, I have learned alot..

if it wasn't for you guys.. I would probably be the owner of 2 COLDSTEEL kukri like knives right now.. but I am saving and holding out for the better quality, AUTHENTIC Kukri...

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!Q!

oNe[/QUOTE]

Against zombies my choice would be my HI Indonesian sword. Nothing else I have would hack and chop Zombies up as well - well maybe my 20.5 inch AK would give it a run for the money.
300.jpg
Offensively you have got Zombies covered but now your sword is almost useless in camp. A sword (IMO) isn't very good for anything but protection in a survival situation. Sure it's cool but it isn't a good choice for the topic.

The below Kukri would be a much better balance of protection and survival in the real world.
HIChitlangi008.jpgHIChitlangi020.jpgHIChitlangi015.jpg
Above: Chitlangi by Horn Dog

I have a Super-CAK that weighs approx 54oz. and would probably sever a zombie's head with one well aimed blow :D
alternatively, it could cut into and through a car door, or roof, through the wall in or out of a house, you get the drift.
It is, however, heavy enough to where great care must be exercised when using it, way more so than with a 32oz. CAK or similar...

Headlines I've seen relating to this topic:
"Scores dead, villages flattened in devastating Samoan tsunami"

"Massive earthquake hits Japan"
"Tsunamis hit south India; over 1800 dead"
"Zombie Attack Warning: Use Bath Salts at Your Own Risk"
"Video: Another Zombie Attack In Louisiana!"
tsunamihoteldamage2.jpgthe Tsunami.jpgJapan-Earthquake-March-11-2011.jpegNorthbridge.jpg

Sean Price I hope you had fun with some of our suggestions. Your thread is actually more real than not (see real life pictures above). So thanks for offering it and pick your tool wisely :thumbup:.

Pshhh I'll take all my blades with me!
HA! That is where I'm vulnerable in a disaster...I need to be constantly remind myself not to end up like this guy (but with knives) in the event of the zombie invasion...
23V7n.jpg

Not to dimish the seriousness of david's sentiment, but a good tool like an HI khukri would be useful in all sorts of scenarios, probably not THE most important thing to have, but I'd rather have one than be without in a survival situation. And it would probably be my only chance to use my knife as a prybar which I would never do in ordinary situations, but I'm eager to try.

tsunami - build a shelter
global famine - harvest palm hearts for food
drought - sacrifice the herd
epidemic - chop wood to burn the infected bodies
nuclear war - Hara-kiri
meteor striking the earth - hunt down the hostile aliens inevitably present in such a meteor

My choice: 16", 29 oz CAK with carvings and style to make it legendary and feared by the horde...
DSC_0099_1.jpg

Last edited:
Egads that is one excellent CAK! Details and close up pics please :)

I'm hoping the Manakamana I have coming my way will be 'The One'. At 30 oz it'll be a slightly heavier sirupate so I'm eagerly waiting to try it out.

A lot of nice things there, you have good taste mate :) Rajukmar and probaly Amrit (if this is a name and not a title) sarki has produced some very nice blades \ scabbards lately, was your cak a custom order, when did you get it? The Khukuri from Thirta you have there is it a "Giant" BDC? Sorry to bombard you with questiones, I just find it so interesting that I can't help myself ;)

The Tirtha is a "Foxy Folly" - it's not the best picture of the Foxy, you can't see the beautiful double fullers that well, but it is a light and thin (relatively speaking) blade full of belly and fullers. Rings like a triangle when chopping or flicked on the edge. The Sgt Khadka bonecutter is the heavy chopper of the group.

Here's the sales thread for the CAK:
Rajkumar-s-Kothimoda-Ang-Khola-for-6-14

Well I can't speak to zombies...zombies...really? But for skinwalkers you're gonna go with a BAS, a WWII, or an M43. People are so darn worried about zombies but I am here to say people, skinwalkers are what you should be worrying about. The good news is there'll never be anything like a "skinwalker apocalypse"...so that's good. But they'll always be out there...waiting...so be prepared, as I am, with a BAS!

Well I can't speak to zombies...zombies...really? But for skinwalkers you're gonna go with a BAS, a WWII, or an M43. People are so darn worried about zombies but I am here to say people, skinwalkers are what you should be worrying about. The good news is there'll never be anything like a "skinwalker apocalypse"...so that's good. But they'll always be out there...waiting...so be prepared, as I am, with a BAS!

Skinwalkers - I go get the M1 and 1911. Zombies - the benelli 12ga and assorted blades for the slower ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back