Best (new) knives - $10 and under.

Hal

What's out there that you would consider sticking in your pocket & using for an EDC - with a maximum price of $10.00 ?
My "vote" goes to:

A Ceramic 4" "Utility" knife.
The shown Rapala - only because of the included sheath.

I/we have a similar one to this in the kitchen & I use the heck out of it. It's a great little slicer & spending days at the bottom of the sink don't phase it a bit.

Let's see your favorites & please - keep it $10 and under.
(we do $20, then $30, then $40, etc in other threads)

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably an Opinel number 5, I think those run at 10 or under.

Kind of slim picken's for an actual modern day knife (Steel wise) for 10 or less unless it's second hand. I mean there is a plethora of Kershaw, Schrade and Gerber knives that are probably serviceable especially if you don't abuse your knives everyday but with every day carry I'd rather invest in something that wouldn't be cumbersome to carry.

New and $10 or under? Haven't paid that little for a knife since I was a kid buying those garbage bait knives in the fishing department at Fred Myer's. I'm no snob but I wouldn't buy a new $10 or under knife to put in my pocket. I've got plenty of used knives I carry and put to use that I've paid under $10 for....

Paid 5$ for this.. house brand at a big box store. Made in China recent edge holding, not as good as my Bucks, but I don't expect that.
For a 5$ knife the F&F is very good. Solid walk and talk, smooth lines.
View attachment 1446401

New and $10 or under? Haven't paid that little for a knife since I was a kid buying those garbage bait knives in the fishing department at Fred Myer's. I'm no snob but I wouldn't buy a new $10 or under knife to put in my pocket. I've got plenty of used knives I carry and put to use that I've paid under $10 for....

Ditto.

I'll pass on the Pakistani car bumper and Chinese mystery steels that are inherent to that price point. Along with the clones, horrifically unreliable locks, etc.

Heck, an SAK Classic is like $15 right?

I have about 7 or so Opinel I was able to pick up for under 10 dollars.

I have not seen them at that price for a while.

Super useful knives.

Ditto.

I'll pass on the Pakistani car bumper and Chinese mystery steels that are inherent to that price point. Along with the clones, horrifically unreliable locks, etc.

Heck, an SAK Classic is like $15 right?
Exactly. And yes, SAK classics are around $15, never seen one at <=$10. I've bought many used Classics for around $5 each used though, keep them everywhere and use them often.

jbS0yya.jpg

imDJzKY.jpg

DGXimBd.jpg

Last edited:
Ten bucks? Man, kind of a hard ask. Even Opinels* cost more than that these days. Eli Chaps Eli Chaps laid out a good list of reasons why it's probably better to save your money for a few weeks/months until you can afford something actually useful. If you need a knife NOW, then I'd say go buy a gas station knife, use it carefully, and then save up until the funds are there to buy something better. You can get into decent knives for $35-$45, no reason not to try to get something along those lines. I mean, an Ontario RAT 1 is like $40ish shipped. Those are great knives for that level of outlay. Too big? You're in luck, the RAT 2 is smaller (though around the same money).

* In a size I'd actually carry and use.

Ten bucks? Man, kind of a hard ask. Even Opinels* cost more than that these days. Eli Chaps Eli Chaps laid out a good list of reasons why it's probably better to save your money for a few weeks/months until you can afford something actually useful. If you need a knife NOW, then I'd say go buy a gas station knife, use it carefully, and then save up until the funds are there to buy something better. You can get into decent knives for $35-$45, no reason not to try to get something along those lines. I mean, an Ontario RAT 1 is like $40ish shipped. Those are great knives for that level of outlay. Too big? You're in luck, the RAT 2 is smaller (though around the same money).

* In a size I'd actually carry and use.
Knifecenter has the rat 1 at $27 shipped. There is no reason to buy cheap garbage or clones!

I think the cheapest knife I've ever EDC'd is an Opinel 8 (~$17, I think). You can get an Opinel 2 for under $10, but it seems just a little too small to be useful for anything. The Opinel 5 is $11 right now at a few retailers, and might work - I've never held one of those, but it seems like it might come close to a minimum useful size.

If my house burned down and I needed to replace everything (and I didn't make it out with one of my pocket knives), cash in hand is short, and I have lots of things to replace: I'd buy another Opinel 8 immediately, since it's inexpensive and available right away and very useful, and I'd figure out my long-term EDC later (after solving lots of other problems :rolleyes:).

You can occasionally find new old-stock Camillus TL-29s for $15 or so, and that's another great value. Every once in a while I've seen used Buck 300-series knives for around $15, also a good deal. There are probably other reasonably decent used knives for sale at around the price you're talking about. I don't think I've seen a used knife for $10 or less that I would buy, but I've seen close. For a new knife, I just don't think there's anything worth carrying at $10.

-Tyson

Maybe a Victorinox paring knife, but I’m not going to be dropping it in my pocket before heading out the door.

I think the Mora 511 still lists under $10.00. The 510 Allround was Mora’s price leader until they discontinued it. When it came back it was up to 12 or 13 bucks. I recently paid $8.99 for the Mora Bahco carpenter knife. Thinner blade stick and harder rubber on the handle, but from 8 feet away you would be hard put to tell it from the Companion.

Okapi Biltong was 6.99 until discontinued. Most of the ones left seem to be more like $15 now, but a member recently got one for the old price. I carry one every day.

Cold Steel Kudu sometimes go as low as $5.00. Easy to tune and flick like a rudeboy. You will prefer the looks of the genuine Okapi ratchet, but quality control is iffy, and will probably cost even more with Okapi not producing.

Back