1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Best (new) knives - $10 and under.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hal, Oct 30, 2020.

1. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    The $1 stores have walls of knives for a dollar. So, for that price, they might have the best of the cheapest.

2. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    this
    I found an old kydex sheath and stuck it in my waistband.
    Shreds cardboard like there is no tomorrow.

USMCPOP and Lee D like this.
  3. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Morakniv has always been a bargain, but prices have crept up recently. A year or two ago, I was getting Companions for $8.50 - $12. The basic carbon 511's for $7.50. The Bahco 2444 can still be had for about $7.50 plus shipping. Wallymart has a "bait knife" for under $3.

Some Old Hickory knives are occasionally available for less than $10. The other day, I got a SAK Tinker and Classic SD bundled for $23. delivered. But those are occasional deals. (Like the genuine Fallkniven F1's I got for $20 each. :eek:)

There's some OK stuff out there in the $15 - $30 range if you shop.

MolokaiRider, Smaug and Henry Beige like this.
  4. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    I'd probably go for a folding utility knife, at that price.

Or a used SAK.

5. Legendary_Jarl

Legendary_Jarl

Feb 8, 2010
    I don't really have anything in that price range, I'll have to wait till we're in the $20's $30's. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what everyone has, specially not made in China options.

6. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Stanley boxcutter

gazz98 likes this.
  7. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Unless it has beechwood handles and is made in France or Portugal, I'm not carrying a knife that only cost $10.

Quiet likes this.
  8. Hal

Hal

Feb 26, 1999
    "Utility" - such as the folders that take a replaceable utility blade are perfectly fine.
    I prefer this type over the Olfa (snap off) or a Stanley.

YES!!!!
    I buy a couple of those every so often. They are made from softer mystery material that is super rust-resistant.
    I use one of these abominations on them:
    <non-supporting vendor link>
    It ruins the knife after a while, but, it does get the edge scary sharp. Plenty sharp enough to slice a ripe "tum-ater".

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2020
  9. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Dexter Russel net knife is a strong choice for best under $10 knife

BFC7BD88-5AC1-4DF2-BD32-A8657982090B.jpeg

They have lots of net, bait, pairing, boning, oyster etc. knives for under $10. Made in USA too

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  10. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Like Henry said, the basic Mora 511 can be had for under $10 . But since I really never carry a fixed blade, I'll pick something else.

1. Probably a decent box cutter.
    2. A locking Rough Ryder. RR offers a few options under $10.

11. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I paid about $8.00 for the Cold Steel Kudu. It's a great knife.

kudub.jpg

12. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    This made in China slipjoint coping knife. It can be had for about $8, if you don't mind funding Jeff Bezos' next catch-and-kill mission. Gave mine to my wife to cut some vinyl flooring, and it did the job just fine. She knows nothing about knives, except that all she has to do is tell me what she wants to cut.

[​IMG]

It's almost a folding utility knife for people who don't like folding utility knives.

Henry Beige and guy g like this.
  13. Hal

Hal

Feb 26, 1999
    Blade HQ has quite a few knives in the $10 and under catagory.
    A couple Opinel models & several Imperial Shrade & Shrade - as well as the mentioned Cold Steel - and a K-Bar or two or three.

I let this thread go on for a bit - then well jump to the $20 and under.

guy g likes this.
  14. Legendary_Jarl

Legendary_Jarl

Feb 8, 2010
    What is that first blade?

15. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Knife from a WWII GI mess kit. Probably not the best edge retention in the world, but cheap as all, easy to find, and less scary for your NKP friends because it looks like a table knife.

Quiet likes this.
  16. UDIVER

UDIVER Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2013
    I would get some type of folding utility knife and then you don't have to worry about sketchy steel, you can just get new razors when they get dull.
    <non-supporting vendor link>

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2020
  17. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    Quoted for truth.

Rats are good, solid knives. I had one, I loved it!

$45 will get you a made in USA Kershaw Link, if the individual is willing to spend a little more.

Too many great knives for under $80.

If someone doesn't mind China made, Ruike knives are absolutely awesome. Ball bearing flippers with good steel (14C28N).

In the spirit of staying on topic, for $10? A utility knife.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    NorthernSouthpaw likes this.
  18. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Old Hickory paring knife or hop knife, carried in a simple plastic heat molded sheath that you make yourself.

Mora basic (prices are rising though).

Not much out there at 10 bucks that’s worth messing with.

Quiet likes this.
  19. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    I like the OH hop knife and the nearly identical cabbage knife that is an inch shorter. Slicey.

There were a couple models of those $3.87 Walmart folding knives a few years back that could have been much better if they just bumped the steel quality one notch, used bronze washers and improved the liner lock. The could have had a nice $8.00 knife.

guy g and MolokaiRider like this.
  20. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Under 25$ total
    7FB5D52D-48E9-4904-844E-F9CD643F4FB3.jpeg

Hal likes this.