Best (new) knives - $10 and under.

The $1 stores have walls of knives for a dollar. So, for that price, they might have the best of the cheapest.

Morakniv has always been a bargain, but prices have crept up recently. A year or two ago, I was getting Companions for $8.50 - $12. The basic carbon 511's for $7.50. The Bahco 2444 can still be had for about $7.50 plus shipping. Wallymart has a "bait knife" for under $3.

Some Old Hickory knives are occasionally available for less than $10. The other day, I got a SAK Tinker and Classic SD bundled for $23. delivered. But those are occasional deals. (Like the genuine Fallkniven F1's I got for $20 each. :eek:)

There's some OK stuff out there in the $15 - $30 range if you shop.

I'd probably go for a folding utility knife, at that price.

Or a used SAK.

I don't really have anything in that price range, I'll have to wait till we're in the $20's $30's. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what everyone has, specially not made in China options.

Unless it has beechwood handles and is made in France or Portugal, I'm not carrying a knife that only cost $10.

"Utility" - such as the folders that take a replaceable utility blade are perfectly fine.
I prefer this type over the Olfa (snap off) or a Stanley.

The $1 stores have walls of knives for a dollar. So, for that price, they might have the best of the cheapest.
YES!!!!
I buy a couple of those every so often. They are made from softer mystery material that is super rust-resistant.
I use one of these abominations on them:
<non-supporting vendor link>
It ruins the knife after a while, but, it does get the edge scary sharp. Plenty sharp enough to slice a ripe "tum-ater".

Last edited by a moderator:
Dexter Russel net knife is a strong choice for best under $10 knife

view

view

They have lots of net, bait, pairing, boning, oyster etc. knives for under $10. Made in USA too

Last edited:
Like Henry said, the basic Mora 511 can be had for under $10 . But since I really never carry a fixed blade, I'll pick something else.

1. Probably a decent box cutter.
2. A locking Rough Ryder. RR offers a few options under $10.

This made in China slipjoint coping knife. It can be had for about $8, if you don't mind funding Jeff Bezos' next catch-and-kill mission. Gave mine to my wife to cut some vinyl flooring, and it did the job just fine. She knows nothing about knives, except that all she has to do is tell me what she wants to cut.

cygiial.jpg

It's almost a folding utility knife for people who don't like folding utility knives.

Blade HQ has quite a few knives in the $10 and under catagory.
A couple Opinel models & several Imperial Shrade & Shrade - as well as the mentioned Cold Steel - and a K-Bar or two or three.

I let this thread go on for a bit - then well jump to the $20 and under.

I would get some type of folding utility knife and then you don't have to worry about sketchy steel, you can just get new razors when they get dull.
<non-supporting vendor link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Knifecenter has the rat 1 at $27 shipped. There is no reason to buy cheap garbage or clones!

Quoted for truth.

Rats are good, solid knives. I had one, I loved it!

$45 will get you a made in USA Kershaw Link, if the individual is willing to spend a little more.

Too many great knives for under $80.

If someone doesn't mind China made, Ruike knives are absolutely awesome. Ball bearing flippers with good steel (14C28N).

In the spirit of staying on topic, for $10? A utility knife.

Last edited:
Old Hickory paring knife or hop knife, carried in a simple plastic heat molded sheath that you make yourself.

Mora basic (prices are rising though).

Not much out there at 10 bucks that’s worth messing with.

Old Hickory paring knife or hop knife, carried in a simple plastic heat molded sheath that you make yourself.

Mora basic (prices are rising though).

Not much out there at 10 bucks that’s worth messing with.

I like the OH hop knife and the nearly identical cabbage knife that is an inch shorter. Slicey.

There were a couple models of those $3.87 Walmart folding knives a few years back that could have been much better if they just bumped the steel quality one notch, used bronze washers and improved the liner lock. The could have had a nice $8.00 knife.

Back