Best premium steel blad around $200

I am fairly new to blades as I just picked up my first two a letherman supertool and benchmade 940..was looking to geta more gentlemen/ nicer knife. Was wondering what knife all you knowledgeable people would recommend for around $200-250ish with premium steel. I'd prefer metal handles not g-10 or micarda but not game changer..any knowledge is good knowledge

Spyderco, ZT, Boker & Kizer have many models that fit the parameters you have provided.

What do you consider a premium steel?

You might look at the ZT 0470. It's all metal, except for a carbon fibre inset on one side. The steel is CPM 20CV, which is an awesome steel that is basically the same alloy as M390.

BladeHQ has them for $260, but you can often find them for less on the sales section of this site. It's a flipper with bearings, so it handles like a dream. The blade is 3.4 inches, which is pretty good size for a gentleman's folder.

Welcome to the forum.

Zero-Tolerance-Sinkevich-0470-Flipper-Marbled-CF-Satin-BHQ-85494-er.jpg

I would keep CPM-20CV and CTS-204P(I think that is the right one) in mind as they are equivalent steels to M390.

Giantmouse Ace Sonoma is slightly over budget, but a very nice looking knife with the steel you're after. I think I saw a used one listed here the other day.

thumbnail_image1-23_grande.jpg

There's one listed in the forums right now for $215, might get him down to $200. New I think They're around $260ish.

It might be prudent to research which companies do a good job with their heat treatment while you're searching for your next knife. This is apparently a controversial point around the forums, but I don't personally think there's much point in having premium steel if it's soft. Depending on what you cut and how you sharpen, you might not get much better performance out of M390 than D2 if the M390 is heat treated poorly. You say you don't love Spyderco, but if you're asking for premium steel then they're one of the better production company choices when it comes to knives having long lasting edges. Just something to keep in mind.

In any case, some of ZT's lineup meets your criteria, like the 0470. WE Knives is better IMO, if a knife being made in china isn't a turnoff to you, and they have a ton of nice options like the Deacon. There's also a bunch of Italian made stuff from Fox/Viper/Lionsteel that meet the criteria. I'd follow that link that PirateSeulb posted above and explore a bit.

I am exploring lol that's why I'm here..I'm honestly a benchmade fan currently and as for spyderco I just dont like the look

Back