Best premium steel blad around $200

That would be deal spotting - as I said, this isn't the place for that discussion.

I had already done so, when I said it wasn't a conversation for this thread - just redacted it because this is becoming painful. Knife is over $200, anyway.
Best of luck in your search.

Last edited:
I had already done so, when I said it wasn't a conversation for this thread - just redacted it because this is becoming painful. Knife is over $200, anyway.
Best of luck in your search.
Sorry I'm new here and learning I saw you messaged me just minute ago I apologize

I am fairly new to blades as I just picked up my first two a letherman supertool and benchmade 940..was looking to geta more gentlemen/ nicer knife. Was wondering what knife all you knowledgeable people would recommend for around $200-250ish with premium steel. I'd prefer metal handles not g-10 or micarda but not game changer..any knowledge is good knowledge
USA Made blade has a Kershaw knockout exclusive that just came out. Aluminum handles in black, red, or tan. M390 blade steel. Price just about +/- $100.

If you like Benchmade, M390, and are looking for gentlemanly, how about a Valet? G-10, but from Filson, the handles are wood.

Hogue Ritter RSK MK1 G2. 20cv for $160. All the knife you need. Unless you like fancy titanium framelock ball bearings flippers.
Benchmade 551-1 or 560bk-1.
Spyderco PM2 or Manix 2 in s110v too.

Price seems too good to be true hows Kershaw heat treat?

The Kershaw dividend M390 is an outstanding value for the blade steel you get and the least expensive option for that premium Steel at around 80 bucks or so. Their heat treat is good as KAI/Kershaw is a big production company that's been around a long time however keep in mind what a heat treat costs vs the total price of the knife. it's not gonna be as good a heat treat as say a benchmade or something more expensive because it doesnt make sense for kershaw to spend on a premium ht treat on an $80 knife but still good Enough and they heat treat in large volume (im guessing peters does there ht if outsourced but done in house more than likely) so that keeps that part of their production cost down so I would guess ht is probably a quarter of the total cost of producing the knife roughly but just guesstimating. Also on the flipside just because a knife is expensive doesn't necessarily mean it has an amazing heat treat either. Stick with brands that are documented to have Proven track records regarding ht as a previous post mentioned M390 if heat treated to a soft HRC isn't going to perform to its optimal chemical potential so look at the HRC Rockwell numbers in the knife specs your considering. Soft m390 will perform like s30v at worst. Also as previously mentioned m390, cts-204p, and 20CV are all analogues of each other and chemically the same steel just made by different companies so that should expand your options. The dividends handle is fairly basic just aluminum but it is a slim and small gentleman sized knife. It is assisted open if you like that or not as thats personal preference. It does carry a little high in the pocket with the stock clip but not terrible and you can email Kershaw and they will send you out a deep carry clip for free if you prefer that. Overall I would recommend it as it's a great value for what you get.

The Kershaw dividend M390 is an outstanding value for the blade steel you get and the least expensive option for that premium Steel at around 80 bucks or so. Their heat treat is good as KAI/Kershaw is a big production company that's been around a long time however keep in mind what a heat treat costs vs the total price of the knife. it's not gonna be as good a heat treat as say a benchmade or something more expensive because it doesnt make sense for kershaw to spend on a premium ht treat on an $80 knife but still good Enough and they heat treat in large volume (im guessing peters does there ht if outsourced but done in house more than likely) so that keeps that part of their production cost down so I would guess ht is probably a quarter of the total cost of producing the knife roughly but just guesstimating. Also on the flipside just because a knife is expensive doesn't necessarily mean it has an amazing heat treat either. Stick with brands that are documented to have Proven track records regarding ht as a previous post mentioned M390 if heat treated to a soft HRC isn't going to perform to its optimal chemical potential so look at the HRC Rockwell numbers in the knife specs your considering. Also as previously mentioned m390, cts-204p, and 20CV are all analogues of each other and chemically the same steel just made by different companies so that should expand your options. The dividends handle is fairly basic just aluminum but it is a slim and small gentleman sized knife. It is assisted open if you like that or not as thats personal preference. It does carry a little high in the pocket with the stock clip but not terrible and you can email Kershaw and they will send you out a deep carry clip for free if you prefer that. Overall I would recommend it as it's a great value for what you get.

Sorry if that was a little long-winded I might've got a little carried away but just wanted to give you some informative info. Best of luck in your search

Still not sure what you want. M390 family, and no slip-joint. You dislike Spydercos. How about size, blade shape, flipper vs. traditional, tough vs. slicer, etc. ? I cann't help you with thumbstuds, I don't care for them ....

For traditional, currently DLT has a Buck 110 with 20CV (= M390), beautiful knife, for less than $100.

If you like flippers, many ZT with 20CV/Elmax to choose from, depending on weight and size requirements. My personal favorites are 0452, 0393, and 0095, a wide spectrum of designer and size right there. BTW, ZT's S35VN is very good.

Roland.

Still not sure what you want. M390 family, and no slip-joint. You dislike Spydercos. How about size, blade shape, flipper vs. traditional, tough vs. slicer, etc. ? I cann't help you with thumbstuds, I don't care for them ....

For traditional, currently DLT has a Buck 110 with 20CV (= M390), beautiful knife, for less than $100.

If you like flippers, many ZT with 20CV/Elmax to choose from, depending on weight and size requirements. My personal favorites are 0452, 0393, and 0095, a wide spectrum of designer and size right there. BTW, ZT's S35VN is very good.

Roland.

Personally I like axis lock but I'm not particular.. as for blade shape I want something that will hold decent edge for while and not become brittle

Personally I like axis lock but I'm not particular.. as for blade shape I want something that will hold decent edge for while and not become brittle

I assume you meant blade geometry rather than shape. Steel chemistry and ht does play a big role in edge retention and chip out however blade geometry and specifically edge geometry pertaining to apex strength also adds to that as a more acute bevel angles will most definitely hold an edge longer and depending on the angle can also aid in supporting the apex for more strength thinking of it like an upside down triangle or think 2 sided pyramid with the base supporting the point if that makes sense. Edge geometry can be improved with sharpening/ reprofiling however so not a big deciding factor Imo. When i choose a knife i look at quality and design first if its appeals to me as well as size, ergos, lock type (although they are all fine functional but we have preferences right), and materials while important are secondary to me unless im going in looking for a certain type like ti framelock or g10 work knife etc. steel honestly is almost last of my decisions and while m390 is nice all modern powdered metal steels are very good and there is marginal differences between them in real world uses. i realize the OP was about best blade steel however i wouldn't pass on a good design just bc its not m390. these are just my opinions though. Take them as you will.

I am fairly new to blades as I just picked up my first two a letherman supertool and benchmade 940..was looking to geta more gentlemen/ nicer knife. Was wondering what knife all you knowledgeable people would recommend for around $200-250ish with premium steel. I'd prefer metal handles not g-10 or micarda but not game changer..any knowledge is good knowledge

You'll start learning more and more as you fall in love with your blades...

However easiest way to find a great knife for $200-$250 -> follow these four steps and you will never be disappointed:

1. Buy American made (Italian and Japanese OK too). DO NOT BUY MADE in CHINA!
2. Buy the knives with the following blade steels, any one of them is OK -> Supersteel category: M390, ZDP-189, CTS-XHP, CPM 20CV, S35VN, CPM S110V, CPM S90V, N690, M4
3. Buy the knives that have at least 3.5 inch blade. I like 'em personally 4 - 4.5 inches -> more practical use.
4. Buy the knives from the following brands: Zero Tolerance, Spyderco, Benchmade, Emerson, Fantoni, Spartan Blades, Southern Grind, Borus, Rick Hinderer (if you are lucky to find used within $250) or any other American makers...

P.S. Keep the blade shinning & oiled and well maintained and enjoy the romance!

image.jpg

Back