Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I hope this is an acceptable thing to do within an existing thread. I thought I’d do a little ***GIVEAWAY*** here in the Traditional Beverages and Blades thread, with a year’s Gold Membership as the prize.

Things have been a bit boring being stuck at home for weeks, so today I gathered up all the whiskey/whisky I had in the house and lined ‘em all up. I grabbed a glass and couple forum knives, selected one bottle and poured myself a drink.

aF7MI3m.jpg

Now all you have to do is guess what I’m drinking. There are 27 bottles total. (A couple should be pretty easy to rule out. ;)) Here are a few rules:

I'll play, Barrett; I love the guessing games! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Remember that exciting GAW where we tried to guess Will Power Will Power 's car license plate? That was good, clean fun!! :p)

My problem is I know nothing about whisk(e)y; my "bar" consists of 2 or 3 12-packs of beer sitting on the laundry room floor in the basement. I'll bet it's been at least 40 years since I've had any "hard liquor". So I'll guess names on your bottles that remind me of things that are meaningful to me, usually for non-alcoholic reasons.

I'll start by guessing Black Grouse, since I sometimes eat poultry (and I think I got sick in my youth on Wild Turkey – that's practically the same drink as Black Grouse, I suppose :rolleyes::D).

My beverage at supper was a Killian's Irish Red, an inexpensive beer I still like very much! ;) And the old photo features a Rough Rider large 4-blade stockman (4th blade is a cap lifter) that came from Barrett; thank you, sir! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
RRstock.killians.jpg

- GT

Stuart, D Duckdog , listened to the music from that documentary while working (at home) this afternoon . I think it’s on the dvr, I’ve been telling myself I need to watch it sometime.

Margaritaville / Jose Cuervo you are a friend of mine - will be my choice of drink.

edit: pic

View attachment 1330659

I got the music and the DVDs of the whole series and they are great. I suggest a couple of those libations for your viewing pleasure and maybe a Kleenex or two, as there are some moving moments, especially the historical perspectives and personal stories.
- Stuart

Not only do you have excellent taste in whiskey and cigars, Dylan, but you have some AWESOME knives. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, Vince! I do tend to enjoy the finer things and I'm grateful for folks here who appreciate much of the same.

Thanks, Dylan! I was given both of those High West bottles by a friend. I was most curious about the Campfire (I love peated whiskey), so I opened it first; just haven't gotten around to trying the other yet. That fixed blade is a cool looking knife! :thumbsup:

Colors can be deceiving in pictures and it might be too rich a color for it, but I'm going to guess anyway - Laphroaig 10 (an excellent Islay for a good price).

Thank you for the compliment on the fixed blade - it's a tremendous knife from an excellent maker here.

Going with a locally made Porter this evening, paired with a lovely La Palina.

YvH6tOu.jpg

DiskenPliney.jpg
I hope this is an acceptable thing to do within an existing thread. I thought I’d do a little ***GIVEAWAY*** here in the Traditional Beverages and Blades thread, with a year’s Gold Membership as the prize.

Things have been a bit boring being stuck at home for weeks, so today I gathered up all the whiskey/whisky I had in the house and lined ‘em all up. I grabbed a glass and couple forum knives, selected one bottle and poured myself a drink.
:thumbsup:
You've been sittin" on that Weller a while. They haven't used that bottle style (actually preferred) in years. You seem to prefer Bourbon. I'm going to guess Woodford Reserve---my go to on cross country Delta flights.
I'd pretty much clean them out in First Class :)

Last edited:
I'll play, Barrett; I love the guessing games! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Remember that exciting GAW where we tried to guess Will Power Will Power 's car license plate? That was good, clean fun!! :p)

My problem is I know nothing about whisk(e)y; my "bar" consists of 2 or 3 12-packs of beer sitting on the laundry room floor in the basement. I'll bet it's been at least 40 years since I've had any "hard liquor". So I'll guess names on your bottles that remind me of things that are meaningful to me, usually for non-alcoholic reasons.

I'll start by guessing Black Grouse, since I sometimes eat poultry (and I think I got sick in my youth on Wild Turkey – that's practically the same drink as Black Grouse, I suppose :rolleyes::D).

My beverage at supper was a Killian's Irish Red, an inexpensive beer I still like very much! ;) And the old photo features a Rough Rider large 4-blade stockman (4th blade is a cap lifter) that came from Barrett; thank you, sir! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
View attachment 1330684

- GT

Of course I remember Will’s license plate GAW! It was one of the more absurd (and one of my favorite) giveaways that we’ve had here! :D

btb01 btb01 I'd like to drop by for a tasting though :D

Stop by any time! :D :thumbsup:

Colors can be deceiving in pictures and it might be too rich a color for it, but I'm going to guess anyway - Laphroaig 10 (an excellent Islay for a good price).

Going with a locally made Porter this evening, paired with a lovely La Palina.

YvH6tOu.jpg

Laphroaig is my go-to “budget” Islay, although I prefer Lagavulin 16 (hands down my favorite whiskey). (Not that that’s what I chose for this GAW.) (But maybe.) ;) :D

View attachment 1330876
You've been sittin" on that Weller a while. They haven't used that bottle style (actually preferred) in years. You seem to prefer Bourbon. I'm going to guess Woodford Reserve---my go to on cross country Delta flights.
I'd pretty much clean them out in First Class :)

Yep, I had a couple bottles of Weller that I bought a few years back, and admittedly I don’t go through whiskey all that quickly. That’s my last “old” bottle, but I have one of new ones in the backup cupboard. :D

Laphroaig is my go-to “budget” Islay, although I prefer Lagavulin 16 (hands down my favorite whiskey). (Not that that’s what I chose for this GAW.) (But maybe.) ;) :D

Excellent taste, Barrett. The Lagavulin 16 is one of my absolute favorites as well. I'm down to two fingers though - I've been putting off the inevitable...

I was going to be working my way through your Islays anyway so the Lagavulin 16 will be my next guess.

I hope everyone has had a pleasant evening.

YSXlHBH.jpg

btb01 btb01 Barrett, my guess is the Weller Special Reserve. And I hope that you savored it. Today, I ended up, somehow, opening a 32 oz can of local stout (Board Room "Black Knight") at 3:30 p.m., all to take a picture when the sun was right. Two cans into the afternoon, I put the big knives away. Nice out, though.

zc0zWta.jpg

F9uPtwH.jpg

Both are snappy and sharp. The Hammer Brand hunter (1878-1932) can compromise several digits in one snap.

- Stuart

Stuart, that's a pretty heady stout for day drinking! At 9.0 %, i'm surprised you didn't have an old Imperial out to go with it. ;):D

Barrett, my guess for today is the Sazerac Rye.

I'm having some gunpowder green tee with honey and lime juice to wake up this morning.

2KDdnNY.jpg

Last edited:
Back