Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

nVLlqdy.jpg

Again on the question of tastes/desires. I'm not a fan of the craft breweries citrus drinks they allege are beer or Pale Ale;) OK for some but not I. This Shepherd Neame Kentish Ale, although low volume only 4% is a nice bitter tasting beer that I can well relate to. Many thanks to JP Jolipapa Jolipapa for the superb horn handled knife, not at all bad for citrus slicing (that's where citrus flavours belong in drinks :D)

For me at least, it's Gin all the way:cool: Dislike Vodka. I'd say Plymouth Gin is a lot different from London Gins, less scented more like Dutch Geneevers but it's a matter of taste. As for Churchill, that old drunk drank everything:rolleyes: Hayman's started remaking Old Tom which is sweetened Gin, acquired taste but I liked it with Bitter Lemon alright. C19th Londoners, and later, drank Gin neat ;) or with WARM WATER :eek: Nollly is streets ahead any Italian vermouths I've had, it's great super chilled with ice&lime on its own, with mineral water or tonic too :thumbsup:

And, home drinks including tea or coffee beat anything you go out for.

nVLlqdy.jpg

Again on the question of tastes/desires. I'm not a fan of the craft breweries citrus drinks they allege are beer or Pale Ale;) OK for some but not I. This Shepherd Neame Kentish Ale, although low volume only 4% is a nice bitter tasting beer that I can well relate to. Many thanks to JP Jolipapa Jolipapa for the superb horn handled knife, not at all bad for citrus slicing (that's where citrus flavours belong in drinks :D)
Happy to see the horn resist the dry weather!
My first organic beer. Traveled from Bordeaux, perfect for these hot days.
Bear_LaLune.jpg

Jolipapa Jolipapa No movement AT ALL with the horn JP, it behaves in all humidities or lack of it, it's properly cured & selected:thumbsup: Fine knife, really like it!

Thirst building up here again, 68% humidity 24C and thunderstorm banging around :cool:

Thanks, Will

Oh, yeah, stay away from "well" gin. Don't bother with Gordon's. Beefeater, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire are probably the best (my opinion, anyway). Plymouth Gin is good too--I think Churchill drank it. Harder to find, but excellent. A little bit of good dry (not sweet!) vermouth, like Noilly Prät, but Martini & Rossi will do. Some garnish with olives, some with a lemon twist. I make better martinis than any bartender, and save a lot of money!

Vince, I know you like Islay whiskies, have you ever tried Islay gin? (Apparently Bruicaddich makes one; no idea if it’s any good.)

I don’t drink gin too often, but I’ll have an occasional G&T in the summer, and I really enjoy a Negroni.

Vince, I know you like Islay whiskies, have you ever tried Islay gin? (Apparently Bruicaddich makes one; no idea if it’s any good.)

I don’t drink gin too often, but I’ll have an occasional G&T in the summer, and I really enjoy a Negroni.
No, but I'd try one. Just finished a second Beefeater martini. With lemon twist instead of olive. Very nice.
Gonna have to try a Negroni. I'll look it up.

Wednesdays were traditionally beer night when I was at school - each week, a member of the group would bring a six pack of beer for everyone to try out, in the hopes of introducing the group to some new beers beyond the standard Miller High Life and PBR that floats around college campuses.

With online classes, we've tried to keep the tradition alive by getting together over Zoom and sharing a drink together over a video call. This week's pick was another Flemish Red Ale, as I have been really enjoying them, and my new-to-me GEC 14 Boy's Knife, which I am quite enjoying.

XZXII0e.jpg

Last edited:
Back