Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Hey Prester John Prester John , have you tried a negroni yet? If not, I'll enjoy this one on your behalf until you can rectify that. :D

d9RR76u.jpg

Have a good weekend, folks!

Hey Prester John Prester John , have you tried a negroni yet? If not, I'll enjoy this one on your behalf until you can rectify that. :D

d9RR76u.jpg

Have a good weekend, folks!
Haven't tried one yet, Greg. I have to buy some Campari. And more gin. (There is some Tanqueray here, but my wife and I each have our own liquor bottles. If we share, she doesn't get much! Besides, I'm partial to Beefeater.) Maybe I'll have something with scotch tonight. I usually have scotch neat or on the rocks (most single malts always neat, blends sometimes with ice).

Well, didn't care much for the Rob Roy. Regular Manhattans are okay. So for my second cocktail I tried a Dry Rob Roy--with dry vermouth instead of sweet, and a twist of lemon instead of a maraschino cherry.
lfh0BKE.jpg

Better. But the last one. Come to think of it, the only scotch cocktail I like is a Rusty Nail (scotch and Drambuie). Bourbon cocktails: Old Fashioned and Manhattan. Vodka: Screwdriver. Gin: Gin & Tonic, but especially a Dry Martini--the perfect cocktail. Shaken or stirred. Olive or twist.

Prester John Prester John , it’s good to see you experimenting in the pursuit of advancing B&B science! :thumbsup: :)

You’ve just about got me convinced that I should give a Martini another go. Last time I tried, years ago, it wasn’t my thing. But, I’m a fan of gin, so maybe a drop or two of dry vermouth wouldn’t be so bad. Or maybe I should start with a perfect Martini?

And, speaking of convincing, that Opinel No. 8 you keep showing has me about convinced that I should pick one up. You’re quite the influencer, you know that, Vince? :D

Prester John Prester John , it’s good to see you experimenting in the pursuit of advancing B&B science! :thumbsup: :)

You’ve just about got me convinced that I should give a Martini another go. Last time I tried, years ago, it wasn’t my thing. But, I’m a fan of gin, so maybe a drop or two of dry vermouth wouldn’t be so bad. Or maybe I should start with a perfect Martini?

And, speaking of convincing, that Opinel No. 8 you keep showing has me about convinced that I should pick one up. You’re quite the influencer, you know that, Vince? :D
The Opinel No. 8 and my amber bone Case trapper are my most carried and used knives, Greg. I've acquired, thorough purchase, gift, or GAW prize, close to 40 knives in the last couple of years. The Opinel will only set you back about $15. You should definitely give one a try.

As for the martini, I've never had a "perfect" one (half dry, half sweet vermouth), but may try one some day. If you like gin (my faves are Beefeater, Tanqueray, and Bombay Sapphire, in that order), you could try coating the ice with dry vermouth (my preference is Noilly Prat, but Martini and Rossi will do), and tossing out the excess, add the gin, and shake or stir with the ice in the shaker or glass. The stirring probably dilutes the drink less. Pour into a chilled cocktail glass, and garnish with an olive or three, or a twist of lemon. Both are good. What do you have to lose?

Ranch water- cheap tequila, Topo Chico and lime
nMLrWZf.jpg
Sounds good, Taylor, but I ain't drinking cheap tequila. I suggest you try Herradura Silver. Wonderful stuff. You'll never drink José Cuervo again!

Last edited:
The Opinel No. 8 and my amber bone Case trapper are my most carried and used knives, Greg. I've acquired, thorough purchase, gift, or GAW prize, close to 40 knives in the last couple of years. The Opinel will only set you back about $15. You should definitely give one a try.

As for the martini, I've never had a "perfect" one (half dry, half sweet vermouth), but may try one some day. If you like gin (my faves are Beefeater, Tanqueray, and Bombay Sapphire, in that order), you could try coating the ice with dry vermouth (my preference is Noilly Prat, but Martini and Rossi will do), and tossing out the excess, add the gin, and shake or stir with the ice in the shaker or glass. The stirring probably diltutes the drink less. Pour into a chilled cocktail glass, and garnish with an olive or three, or a twist of lemon. Both are good. What do you have to lose?

Sounds good, Taylor, but I ain't drinking cheap tequila. I suggest you try Herradura Silver. Wonderful stuff. You'll never drink José Cuervo again!
I'm drinking Souza Blanco, but I usually drink Altos Agave. I will check it out!

WhittlinAway WhittlinAway LOL that's a first. You gotta try the drink throw some Tajin on the glass edge and in the drink.

Ranch water- cheap tequila, Topo Chico and lime
nMLrWZf.jpg

Fantastic Stag there, admire it a lot:cool:

The drink? Pass.....:D Good job we all have different tastes or life would be more hellish than it currently is ;)

I like a Martini (Gin) I like ultra Dry Vermouth on its own or with a bit of tonic as an aperitif but most cocktails don't attract me at all, too fussy. Kentucky Mule I rather liked or cheaper Bourbon (no such thing here...) with Ginger Ale sometimes but I'd rather have a beer or aperitif, wine with the food plus water and Cognac/ Calvados etc afterwards with a coffee, the Old World still has its merits :cool:

Good health to everyone here!:thumbsup:

I like my liquor cheap. I like the Cuervo Gold the best - one shot at a time straight with no salt or lemon chased with a beer. The Bombay makes a really good Gin & Tonic with a slice of lime. The Jim Beam makes a good mixer, the Early Times a smooth sipper, and the Dewars also for a sipper with a beer chaser. All that said, I really don't drink all that much.

VDly8h9.jpg

My wife and daughter bought me a few samples of some beer they thought I'd enjoy on their way back from my Dad's 90th birthday bash on August 1. They were correct in their assessment, and I drank them all before my Dad's actual birthday on August 4. But I forgot to post them here, so let me rectify that almost a month later. (There was also a can of Saugatuck Brewing's Blueberry maple syrup stout but I didn't take a photo, since I'd had it before and thought I could re-use the old pic. But now I can't find it. :mad: ETA: Turns out I commented negatively on the blueberry maple a couple of times, but never posted a photo.)
haymarket.defender.stout.RRgunstock.jpg
nightswimmer.stout.amberSBJr.jpg

- GT

Last edited:
Its a semi-sweet cider.

They make great ciders. Their lemonade is my favorite and one that I have to be carful with in the summer.
Nothing wrong with that! Sounds interesting I will have to keep my eye out for it.

Back