Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

The candidate with which I'd most like to have a beer. :D

A75uyvDh.jpg

'Tis a bit quiet over here - I guess it is only Tuesday...

yuz5Fas.jpg
Well, I'll join you, Dylan:
Z5H8A4u.jpg

I'm not as accomplished a photographer as you are (and I'm a little lazy this time of night!), but here's a Beefeater martini I'm enjoying right now. About. 7 to 1 ratio of gin to vermouth. I dropped a dash of bitters in it. Tried it last night and loved it. One large queen olive.

Á votre santé!

'Tis a bit quiet over here - I guess it is only Tuesday...

yuz5Fas.jpg

Z5H8A4u.jpg

I'm not as accomplished a photographer as you are (and I'm a little lazy this time of night!), but here's a Beefeater martini I'm enjoying right now. About. 7 to 1 ratio of gin to vermouth. I dropped a dash of bitters in it. Tried it last night and loved it. One large queen olive.

Á votre santé!

A fine showing, gentlemen, both in beverages and blades.

Love the name of that whiskey, Dylan, and that it's from your neck of the woods. I had an outstanding gin that was distilled in Oregon at a tasting few years ago, but sadly have lost name of it. Perhaps one day I'll track down the bottle. Meanwhile, fantastic patina that you're picking up on your Allegheny!

And, Vince, interesting on the bitters! I ordered a gin and tonic from a bartender that was serving out of a converted VW bus at a farmers market in Adelaide, Australia and he asked me if I wanted bitters? Apparently someone requested it and he'd started offering it. It was pretty good. That led me to discovering that a simple gin old fashioned, made with gin, a sugar cube, a few dashes of bitters and a splash of soda water is very tasty. Can't make out the number on your Opinel? Is that a 6?

Cheers, guys.

Can't make out the number on your Opinel? Is that a 6?
It's a No. 8, Greg. Seems like a perfect size.

Have you tried gin and bitters? Coat the interior of a cocktail glass with a small amount of bitters--maybe 1/4 teaspoon or so. Then pour the gin in. Neat. No ice, no chilling, no garnish. It's pretty good, but you have to use good gin. I usually stick to Beefeater and Tanqueray.

Z5H8A4u.jpg

Á votre santé!
I'm going to have to give this martini thing a try. Vodka martinis are 0k but I never liked gin, but then again it's been probably 20 years and probably cheap gin.

I'm going to have to give this martini thing a try. Vodka martinis are 0k but I never liked gin, but then again it's been probably 20 years and probably cheap gin.
Oh, yeah, stay away from "well" gin. Don't bother with Gordon's. Beefeater, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire are probably the best (my opinion, anyway). Plymouth Gin is good too--I think Churchill drank it. Harder to find, but excellent. A little bit of good dry (not sweet!) vermouth, like Noilly Prät, but Martini & Rossi will do. Some garnish with olives, some with a lemon twist. I make better martinis than any bartender, and save a lot of money!

Oh, yeah, stay away from "well" gin. Don't bother with Gordon's. Beefeater, Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire are probably the best (my opinion, anyway). Plymouth Gin is good too--I think Churchill drank it. Harder to find, but excellent. A little bit of good dry (not sweet!) vermouth, like Noilly Prät, but Martini & Rossi will do. Some garnish with olives, some with a lemon twist. I make better martinis than any bartender, and save a lot of money!
Wow, thanks for the tips!!
I'm going to take your advice.

It's a No. 8, Greg. Seems like a perfect size.

Have you tried gin and bitters? Coat the interior of a cocktail glass with a small amount of bitters--maybe 1/4 teaspoon or so. Then pour the gin in. Neat. No ice, no chilling, no garnish. It's pretty good, but you have to use good gin. I usually stick to Beefeater and Tanqueray.

Thanks for clarifying. I have a two 6s, a 7, and... a 10. Will have to pick up an 8 one of these days. I know they are very popular.

And, I have not! Might have to rectify that over the weekend. In the meantime, gonna enjoy these:

769P916h.jpg

Wow, thanks for the tips!!
I'm going to take your advice.
Something else: you may want to experiment on the gin to vermouth ratio. My wife doesn't want any vermouth. I tell her "then it's not a martini!" She doesn't care. I have seen bartenders pour some vermouth in the shaker and swirl it around a little, then dump it out. The key thing is to use good gin. Big difference between Tanqueray and Seagram's for example.
When I tried my first martini nearly four decades ago, I didn't like it. Not sure what it was made with. But I tried it again about 30 years ago and loved it.

We usually vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula for a week or two each August. One of the bittersweet signs that summer is slipping away is that I usually first see Octoberfest beers "Up North" while vacationing. This year was no exception. The grocery store in the little town where we stay had 3 Oktoberfest brands on the shelves (Leinenkugel, Sam Adams, and Bell's). Here's an example with an Imperial Kamp King:
bell's.octfest.impKK.jpg

- GT

We usually vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula for a week or two each August. One of the bittersweet signs that summer is slipping away is that I usually first see Octoberfest beers "Up North" while vacationing. This year was no exception. The grocery store in the little town where we stay had 3 Oktoberfest brands on the shelves (Leinenkugel, Sam Adams, and Bell's). Here's an example with an Imperial Kamp King:
View attachment 1403116

- GT
Excited for the Octoberfest brews! Gonna be weird not coaching football this fall.
MVIMG_20200820_181435.jpg

View attachment 1403116

- GT

I used to live close to Kalamazoo. Man I miss Bell's...good beer

For me at least, it's Gin all the way:cool: Dislike Vodka. I'd say Plymouth Gin is a lot different from London Gins, less scented more like Dutch Geneevers but it's a matter of taste. As for Churchill, that old drunk drank everything:rolleyes: Hayman's started remaking Old Tom which is sweetened Gin, acquired taste but I liked it with Bitter Lemon alright. C19th Londoners, and later, drank Gin neat ;) or with WARM WATER :eek: Nollly is streets ahead any Italian vermouths I've had, it's great super chilled with ice&lime on its own, with mineral water or tonic too :thumbsup:

And, home drinks including tea or coffee beat anything you go out for.

Back