BF2020 Knife Slab Choice

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Jul 25, 2020.

BF2020 Slab Choice

Poll closed Jul 26, 2020.
  1. Zircote Wood

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Ebony Wood

10 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Olive Wood

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. Maple Burl

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Amboyna Wood

44 vote(s)
    24.7%
  6. Birch Maple Wood

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. Juniper Wood

13 vote(s)
    7.3%
  8. Ox Horn

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. Ram Horn

46 vote(s)
    25.8%
  10. Giraffe Bone

35 vote(s)
    19.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lander boy Matt

Lander boy Matt Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Im in whatever the majority decides. Its been exciting to watch the poll as it progresses!

2. GeofS

GeofS “Nostra-bladus” Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Yay, and ram horn takes the lead! :)

Coincidentally, I have a ram horn otnat coming from Mike scheduled for delivery on Monday. :D

meako and KellyGlanzer like this.
  3. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    I voted. Count me for two no matter the outcome. Thank you Mike for your efforts!

4. KellyGlanzer

KellyGlanzer Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2005
    How many knives did we produce and sell last year?

Oh yeah....Go Rams!!

bonesofnorthernengland_20200725_13.jpg

5. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2016
    After seeing the @waverave mock up, I’m pushing for some ram. Fingers crossed :cool:

waverave, meako and KellyGlanzer like this.
  6. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Not sure why there is the concern about horn - Mike is better placed to know about the complaints or returns he has received, but I thought the screwed construction with radiussed liners would have alleviated any warping issues that you would encounter with a traditionally constructed knife.

Not to be picky but amboyna wood is not a wood, its the name of the burl produced by the tree we Australians call Papua New Guinea Rosewood. I just finished making a side table out of it.

gaj999, meako and TFBraden like this.
  7. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Mike was the first one to express concern over the horn being an option.
    All the following concerns were to save mike any headaches from having to deal with it.

8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I think Mike was referring mostly to the Ox horn, not ram's horn. Ox or cattle horn is more subject to shrinkage and warping. I wouldn't worry about ram's horn.

Ramrodmb, meako and JohnDF like this.
  9. Camillus

Jun 3, 2015
    Yes Johndf that’s what I meant. I meant to say not sure why Mike has indicated there is an issue with horn.

10. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    It's still wood.

gotgoat, KnifeandEasy, meako and 2 others like this.
  11. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Sounds extremely picky to me lol. Burl is a growth of the tree with irregular grain structure. It’s made up of wood since it’s part of the tree. So yes, it actually is wood.

KnifeandEasy, meako, Mass1632 and 2 others like this.
  12. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    ALL species are on the CITES restricted list. There are only about 100,000 giraffes left in the world if you count all subspecies.

Not trying to start a debate, nor am I trying to get on a soapbox. I don't expect everyone to agree with me ethically and I'd be a fool if I did.

https://giraffeconservation.org/wp-...tus-Distribution-poster-Jan-2017-LR-c-GCF.pdf

https://www.hsi.org/news-media/cites-protects-giraffe-first-time/

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  13. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2017
    My experience has been the opposite. But that’s the great thing about this forum, being able to agree to disagree on our individual experiences.
    It would seem that like many species, managed population control and the $ raised, is overall good for giraffe populations.

Although rooting for the uniqueness of the bone scales, will be in for two regardless of the final decision, one to keep, one to gift, have never sold a forum knife.
    Regardless of the final decision, this indeed will be a most memorable forum knife.

Giraffe skin slips maybe :eek::D

edited to add that rams horn would certainly help in making the 300 knife minimum in that most would order two (as in the 2018 knife) with the thought of picking out the nicer example as a keeper or safe queen, the other a user or to gift
    Don’t care what the flippers want, vote any known flippers who order
    GET PLYWOOD............CDX plywood :D

meako, hornetguy, Scott J. and 2 others like this.
  14. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    My original concern has nothing to do with fit/finish - it has to do with character. Too light, too dark, too much texture, not enough texture. As long as we agree that the character is the character - I love ram horn.

Nope. If you read the articles you list; it says they were added to Appendix II last year. This is not restricted and they are freely traded internationally. All Appendix II means is that the trade will be documented. They are legally hunted and components are freely transferable. Appendix I is restricted - no giraffes on this list. Please be careful what is stated as fact; many people take us seriously (sometimes, maybe, it could happen) ;). Most natural handle materials used these days are on Appendix II (cocobolo, ebony, stag, ram horn, etc.).

https://cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php
    https://cites.org/eng/app/index.php
    https://www.africahuntlodge.com/hunting-packages/giraffe-hunts

Eli Chaps, rbeggs, gaj999 and 15 others like this.
  15. Camillus

Jun 3, 2015
    I don’t have the energy. Just call it amboyna and we can agree.

16. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014

Not sure how this will work but CK normally won’t ship to Canada. Used a work around once but it’s not worth the time or trouble. If it can’t just be shipped through the distributor at a reasonable cost, (typical shipping for a knife to Canada is between 9 and 15 dollars) I’ll have to pass.
    It’s too bad actually because they have some great exclusives that I would have bought but it’s just too much trouble. And it’s not like there’s a ton of restrictions shipping to Canada either. (There are a few materials noted but in practice they don’t even care about anything other than ivory. Other than that autos and Bali’s).

meako likes this.
  17. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    The run off will be interesting. I'm guessing most of the wood votes will go to the incredibly cool amboyna and most of the giraffe bone will go to the ram horn (unless it's a 3 way with giraffe included)
    The swing voters will decide.

18. BDubbs

BDubbs Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2020
    I’m good for two....maybe 3.

19. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Wow it’s close! I think Scott is correct about the voting but we will just have to see:)

20. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Double post, not sure how... :confused:

Scott J. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.