BHQ Excl. Lum Tanto?

I was told by bladehq that spydero issued a recall on these due to QC issue. Anyways, sent the knife back but it doesn't seem like they can promise me a replacement. I'll use the money for a PM2 black/jade :D

I was told by bladehq that spydero issued a recall on these due to QC issue. Anyways, sent the knife back but it doesn't seem like they can promise me a replacement. I'll use the money for a PM2 black/jade :D

That's the silver lining. After getting into knives again more recently, I feel like I missed a bunch of good sprint runs. Looking forward to the DLC PM2 in M4 for sure.

Really challenging knife to pull off, a thick laminated blade into a very narrow handle.

a recall on some, or all?

yeah good idear.....on the new upcoming pm2.

I mean that the challenge of engineering a large blade, especially one that is laminated, and thusly prone to “bend”(because of the very soft coating) at the pivot, and then get it to fall back into a very narrow space (ie handle) perfectly every time, is one that if done perfectly 100% of the time is one that I wouldn’t attempt for less than $3 or 4 hundred. Also, if I bought one I would have “fixed” it myself rather than send it back for a knife which I already have 12 of. But I didn’t, because of the handle material choice.

I’m not knocking those who weren’t happy with theirs, as Spyderco usually delivers perfection. Did you guys notice if the area between the liners was a lot slimmer than most steel/g10 Spydies? I’m basing my statements off pics and descriptions, as I didn’t buy any.

I hope some of those recalls end up as “employee bonuses” rather than off to the recycling pot.

Last edited:
I mean that the challenge of engineering a large blade, especially one that is laminated, and thusly prone to “bend”(because of the very soft coating) at the pivot, and then get it to fall back into a very narrow space (ie handle) perfectly every time, is one that if done perfectly 100% of the time is one that I wouldn’t attempt for less than $3 or 4 hundred. Also, if I bought one I would have “fixed” it myself rather than send it back for a knife which I already have 12 of. But I didn’t, because of the handle material choice.

OK I see what you meant. The core is very hard steel correct? So the soft out layer steel should not bend the blade easily. I do agree that the size of the blade plus the narrow space in between the scales will magnify even a slight off centering.

OK I see what you meant. The core is very hard steel correct? So the soft out layer steel should not bend the blade easily. I do agree that the size of the blade plus the narrow space in between the scales will magnify even a slight off centering.

Not the cutting edge itself, but the outer layer, which is what I believe is contacting the area of the pivot is very soft(unless the blades are differentially hardened.) On my zdp/420 caly3.5, hap40/sus410 caly3, and my fallkniven s1, the outer layer of steel is so soft that keys can put dents in them. This soft steel could have caused a lot of the problems with centering if enough pressure was applied to other steel components.
Now, the Lum in no way resembles the leaf shape of the caly’s so there’s a lot thicker steel further out on the liners, causing the issue to be much more pronounced. I’m no engineer, and a fix would have likely run up the cost, but a slightly wider steel “case”(or handle area) or different washers might have been a fix, but I’ll never know.
I kinda wish that this blade’s handles could’ve been made from frn or titanium!!

Last edited:

I’m not knocking those who weren’t happy with theirs, as Spyderco usually delivers perfection. Did you guys notice if the area between the liners was a lot slimmer than most steel/g10 Spydies? I’m basing my statements off pics and descriptions, as I didn’t buy any.

I hope some of those recalls end up as “employee bonuses” rather than off to the recycling pot.

So I had a look at mine vs. a bunch of knives and it's middle of the road for the thickness. Thicker than a Hap40 Delica or Sypdiechef but thinner than a Southard or a PM2.

I suspect the blade centering issue has to do with the Hap40. Same issue as with the Maxamet PM2. Since the tool steel is very hard getting it to sit dead even is much more of a challenge than with a softer steel. The tool steel will be the "bones" of the knife with the cladding just the flesh.

Back