BHQ Para2 black CPM-M4, jade scales

I've seen several people make this assertion that DLC does not provide any rust resistance, but have never seen much evidence to back it up.

There are, however, many posts about members stating they have DLC blades that don't rust under conditions that do rust uncoated blades.

If it provides any rust resistance I'll be happy. My uncoated M4 PM2 got some small rust spots after one day in my pocket (easily buffed out, but still).

I’m just going by what Sal has said in the past. I basically paraphrased what he posted about it on the factory forum some years ago.

I’m guesing the increased corrosion resistance is either:
A. The people can’t see the patina/rust forming so to them it’s not corroding.

Or

B. The coating is very porous and the extra oil that hangs around thanks to that fact stops the corrosion from happening.

At the end of the day who really knows, but dlc doesn’t prevent corrosion according to the people who use the coatings. I guess the only way to know for sure is to sacrifice a blade and do a rust test. Who is up for it? :p

Last edited:
Looking good guys I wish I would of got one, but I’m digging my Police 4 right now!

Oh they most def happened ;)

2 x KW S90V CF/Ti, one the first day when came out and the second at the current sub 200 price. Best folding knife "value" currently available for a sub 200 larger folder :thumbsup: if that's the sorta size that works for one's EDC purposes.

You mean something like this? ;)

b2RW3Y9.jpg

Last edited:
Just got mine. Impressive! Perfectly centered, drops free like butter. The DLC doesn't hinder the drop free.

Just got mine as well and my picky ass is happy to report that it is a great specimen. Centered, no blade play, drops free etc.

Great job Spyderco!

I'm going to have to stop looking at this thread, forgot I had to go to the post office to pick mine up haha. Glad to hear all the happy reviews so far though :thumbsup:.. Still trying to decide how many I'm going to keep. Two or three? Hmm.

Mine is way too stiff. To the point I think about sending back. Can someone walk me through how I would adjust this? I have some wiha torx wrenches.

Mine is way too stiff. To the point I think about sending back. Can someone walk me through how I would adjust this? I have some wiha torx wrenches.
You can start by ever so slightly loosening the large screws on either side of the blade. Should definitely loosen up the stiffness. Play around with them little by little until you are happy with how it opens and check blade play. If I were you I probably wouldn't send it back if that is the only issue. It will most likely break in with use. My dlc coated PM2 is about a year old and its action is way smoother than it was when I got it.

Edit: also a little bit of oil might help things along

Last edited:

You can start by ever so slightly loosening the large screws on either side of the blade. Should definitely lossen up the stiffness. Play around with them little by little until you are happy with how it opens and check blade play. If I were you I probably wouldn't send it back if that is the only issue. It will most likely break in with use. My dlc coated PM2 is about a year old and it's action is way smoother than it was when I got it.

Mine came stiff and very slightly off-center, as I had posted before. I loosened the pivot screw and also the stop pin tore screw which help a lot in terms of smooth flick / drop actions but by tugging at the blade from near the tip, the dreaded and unwelcome blade play was not to my liking. I think that using very little (one drop) no fraction type of oil plus giving it time to break in will solve most such issues. I'll even live with that very slightly off center blade.

You can start by ever so slightly loosening the large screws on either side of the blade. Should definitely loosen up the stiffness. Play around with them little by little until you are happy with how it opens and check blade play. If I were you I probably wouldn't send it back if that is the only issue. It will most likely break in with use. My dlc coated PM2 is about a year old and its action is way smoother than it was when I got it.

Edit: also a little bit of oil might help things along

Ok I heated it up with a hair dryer and slightly loosened the pivot screw on the side that was not covered with the clip. It is now much nicer and the blade does not wobble and is still centered. I think I'll go ahead and put a dab of grease on the detent and flip it open a million times and see how it goes =) I know everybody uses fancy oil but I put a dab of synthetic grease in my other PM2 (52100 CF)and it is extremely smooth and I haven't had to add any more since then.

Sweetness at its finest !
Razor sharp , free dropping blade , fit and finish on the mark .
A big :thumbsup: to Spyderco and BHQ
Glad I have another on the way :D
pVUmJqW.jpg

Got my PM2 today. Really happy with it... until I went to swap the clip to tip up. The clip screws are so freakin' tight I ended up stripping out the first one. I haven't even bothered trying the others. The torx bit was in good shape but is damaged now. Kind of soured the experience. I don't see why Spyderco doesn't just ship them configured in tip up. Frustrating to say the least.

Got my PM2 today. Really happy with it... until I went to swap the clip to tip up. The clip screws are so freakin' tight I ended up stripping out the first one. I haven't even bothered trying the others. The torx bit was in good shape but is damaged now. Kind of soured the experience. I don't see why Spyderco doesn't just ship them configured in tip up. Frustrating to say the least.
For a future reference always heat them up with a heat gun or hair dryer if they don’t pop loose instead of cranking on them .
Lesson learned I’m sure but sorry to hear that .

For a future reference always heat them up with a heat gun or hair dryer if they don’t pop loose instead of cranking on them .
Lesson learned I’m sure but sorry to hear that .

Do they really use high strength threadlocker on the clip screws? I've owned numerous Spydercos and never had an issue; granted, I can't think of many that ship tip down configured (other than the Millie).

At any rate, guess I'm buying a heat gun. Hopefully I can still salvage the damaged fastener.

Last edited:

Because I like them tip down!

Really though, do you have a nice set of torx drivers?

Do they really use high strength threadlocker on the clip screws? I've owned numerous Spydercos and never had an issue; granted, I can't think of many that ship tip down configured (other than the Millie).
They usually just use blue loctite which is a light thread locker . But with such a small screw to much of it can be equivalent to red loctite. I had a Benchmade bugout and the same problem on a tiny scale screw . One was so loaded with blue loctite it stripped out even after roasting it with heat gun . Took about 2 months and they sent me replacement screws to a old not current address after giving my current address in the email requesting new screws lol .

Back