BHQ Para2 black CPM-M4, jade scales

Here’s a little spydie love of exclusives .
Sure wish I knew how many were made of each . I know there’s a professional box counter and calculater out there but some how he landed on my ignore list a long with da utter one :D
hxQQYkq.jpg

yes thats da picture. r u sure it is ps'd? :eek:
Yep..not real..totally fake..those are actually empty Twinkie boxes cut up then painted red, black and white to look like real Spyderco boxes..looks like they did one hell of a job huh? Fooled me..
They probably sit around and laugh about it..who would've ever thought something like that up? Devious minds those BHQers have..

Finally got my package from BHQ in yesterday; been too busy to give them close inspection but at a glance they both appear to have perfectly centered blades. I’ve caught and released two PM2’s previously due to centering issues so maybe this will finally make me a Paramilitary enthusiast.

Finally got my package from BHQ in yesterday; been too busy to give them close inspection but at a glance they both appear to have perfectly centered blades. I’ve caught and released two PM2’s previously due to centering issues so maybe this will finally make me a Paramilitary enthusiast.
Congrats !
I think this was a great Exclusive run both of mine also have centered blades with perfect action and fit and finish :thumbsup:

Gotta admit, I’m very picky about things being done properly and don’t have many friends as a result.

Oh dude, believe me I have *extreme* attention to detail and I will notice every flaw. Normally, I'd send a knife back immediately if I notice something that I can't get past.

For some reason with certain knives I just don't care. This is one of those rare instances. Maybe it's because I know I can't get any more of them because it's a sprint. I'd rather just deal with it than have fewer of them.

2 of my 5 have badly off center blades. I don't really care though. I use my knives more than I look at them. :thumbsup:

I only bought one and despite my added note for BHQ to check for centering, I received an off center blade! Since this was my one and only and that BHQ was already sold out on this run, I just ignored the off centered blade because I may be able to improve on that later on when it's time to open up the knife for cleaning and tuneup. Then I started reading posts by almost all who were wowing about receiving centered blades and creamy smooth action PM2s, contrasting mu own experience!

I'm glad that you posted this because now I know that it was not just me and my luck! I would not call mine badly off centered but it is definitely not centered!

I’ve had great success centering the para 2’s. Have those of you with the centering issue tried loosening the handle screws a touch? and lightly torque the blade in the same direction off center while opened to adjust centering?

I’ve had great success centering the para 2’s. Have those of you with the centering issue tried loosening the handle screws a touch? and lightly torque the blade in the same direction off center while opened to adjust centering?

No I have not done this. I just loosened the pivot screw just a tad (maybe 1/8th of a turn) to get a smoother action which was achieved at the expense of a slight blade play when tugged at tip in a lateral motion.

Did you mean you torque it in the opposite direction as opposed to the direction it's currently off centered?

My M4 Pm2 came perfect, smooth, centered, without play. Decided to put my Flytanium stonewashed Ti scales on her. This is now, in my opinion the ultimate PM2!
cguzeEn.jpg

I wasn't a fan of the Jade G10 I swapped onto the old S30v blade, it looked OK but I intended to make it my truck's beater knife, and knew it would look gross if any dirt or oil got onto the scales.

So I took the opportunity to try something I've been wanting to do for a long time, dying with RIT. (Hopefully no Spydie-purists hate me). Didnt really have anything in mind so I picked up some green and some blue and winged it!

The final product:
rMRidG7.jpg

I'm fairly happy with it. It's different at least, and was fun.
Might have to find a different beater though, when my wife saw it she immediately said "this one is mine." :p
Would be cool to see if anyone dyes theirs and what they come up with!

My M4 Pm2 came perfect, smooth, centered, without play. Decided to put my Flytanium stonewashed Ti scales on her. This is now, in my opinion the ultimate PM2!
cguzeEn.jpg

I wasn't a fan of the Jade G10 I swapped onto the old S30v blade, it looked OK but I intended to make it my truck's beater knife, and knew it would look gross if any dirt or oil got onto the scales.

So I took the opportunity to try something I've been wanting to do for a long time, dying with RIT. (Hopefully no Spydie-purists hate me). Didnt really have anything in mind so I picked up some green and some blue and winged it!

The final product:
rMRidG7.jpg

I'm fairly happy with it. It's different at least, and was fun.
Might have to find a different beater though, when my wife saw it she immediately said "this one is mine." :p
Would be cool to see if anyone dyes theirs and what they come up with!
Well done! They both look great!

No I have not done this. I just loosened the pivot screw just a tad (maybe 1/8th of a turn) to get a smoother action which was achieved at the expense of a slight blade play when tugged at tip in a lateral motion.

Did you mean you torque it in the opposite direction as opposed to the direction it's currently off centered?

No, actually with the knife opened, pull towards the same side it was off centered. Because it torques the pivot from a 180degree angle. It’s a long explanation.

No, actually with the knife opened, pull towards the same side it was off centered. Because it torques the pivot from a 180degree angle. It’s a long explanation.

I get it now! kinda counter intuitive but since you mentioned as to why, now that makes sense to me :)

I only bought one and despite my added note for BHQ to check for centering, I received an off center blade! Since this was my one and only and that BHQ was already sold out on this run, I just ignored the off centered blade because I may be able to improve on that later on when it's time to open up the knife for cleaning and tuneup. Then I started reading posts by almost all who were wowing about receiving centered blades and creamy smooth action PM2s, contrasting mu own experience!

I'm glad that you posted this because now I know that it was not just me and my luck! I would not call mine badly off centered but it is definitely not centered!
Both mine came centered . The first one I asked under notes for one of the things was to have a centered blade . The second one I didn’t put anything under notes and it came centered also both with free dropping blades and action. Guess I got lucky although to be honest I can’t remember the last time I got a Spydie that didn’t check all my needs and wants.
“KNOCK ON WOOD !! “
Anyway for you guys with a off center blade once you take it apart to re-lube you can normally dial it . Actually you don’t even have to take it down . There’s a bunch of you tube vids showing how to do it . I can’t remember the sequence but I know it’s simple and just a matter of loosening the screws on the scale , tightening down the piviot screw , closing the blade and then push the blade against the opposite side it was favoring . While you Tighten back down the scale screws , then backing off the piviot until the action is were you want .
I think thats the order but it’s been years since I’ve done that so check you tube just to be sure :thumbsup:
Also I do recommend heating up your screws and or piviot with a blow dryer or heat gun just Incase Spyderco got a little to generous with the loctite . It can happen like with most manufacturers.
So you don’t risk the chance of striping one of screws out .

Last edited:

I have had wonderful success (I'm talking 90%+ success rate) getting PM2's to have zero play and still drop free with a simple disasseble/reassemble.

This is totally conjecture here, but I have a feeling spyderco uses a jig of some type to aid in the process of assembly. In my opinion, if the pivot bushing is not totally plum/square with the jig, it can cause it to be slightly off which causes binding. In order to prevent the binding, we loosen the pivot to aid in the action. Only problem with that is now the pivot has play.

When you completely pull the blade/bushing out and reassemble carefully, in my experience the bushing is now totally square and the action is MUCH improved almost every single time. Spyderco's machining is incredibly accurate now, and most knives can be dialed in. I have many PM2s from the 2011 era that just can't be dialed in no matter what, thanks to the growing pains they had with machining.

Anyway, I could do a detailed video showing the process if anyone was interested. I already did one for the new CQI military that almost guarantees a centered blade and drop free action with no play. That one works 90%+ of the the time also.

I have had wonderful success (I'm talking 90%+ success rate) getting PM2's to have zero play and still drop free with a simple disasseble/reassemble.

This is totally conjecture here, but I have a feeling spyderco uses a jig of some type to aid in the process of assembly. In my opinion, if the pivot bushing is not totally plum/square with the jig, it can cause it to be slightly off which causes binding. In order to prevent the binding, we loosen the pivot to aid in the action. Only problem with that is now the pivot has play.

When you completely pull the blade/bushing out and reassemble carefully, in my experience the bushing is now totally square and the action is MUCH improved almost every single time. Spyderco's machining is incredibly accurate now, and most knives can be dialed in. I have many PM2s from the 2011 era that just can't be dialed in no matter what, thanks to the growing pains they had with machining.

Anyway, I could do a detailed video showing the process if anyone was interested. I already did one for the new CQI military that almost guarantees a centered blade and drop free action with no play. That one works 90%+ of the the time also.

Thank you for your post and also my thanks to the prior posts from other who had also made some suggestions and tips for me to improve upon my DLC-M4 PM2. Once I get round to doing what has been suggested before taking it apart, I will report back regarding any improvements before it would be necessary to do a complete disassembly.

It would be great if you have the time to do a video but not necessary. If your Military montage/demontage video is on the Forum, I'll be very interested to review that one too. I'll be searching your posted media on here to start with :thumbsup:

Back