Bicycles!

So I bought myself a cool little gizmo called a Quarq Shockwiz, to aid in my suspension set up. I bought an amazing full suspension mountain bike last year but really had no idea of how to properly set up the suspension. I followed the basics and set my suspension to the manufacturers recommendations for my size and weight and pretty much left it at that for the first couple months and then fiddled with a few adjustments, not really knowing how they would affect my ride, and then never did much with it again after that. When I hooked up the shockwiz and went for my first ride it told me my fork was running at about 74% efficiency and provided me with the recommended changes in pressure and adjustments. After 3 rides and a few adjustments I got my fork running at 95% efficiency and then had pretty much the same results for my rear shock. Not only did these recommended changes dramatically affect my bicycles ride, they allowed me to learn and understand the affect of the various adjustments of my suspension. After the bike is set up you really don't need to keep the unit hooked up any more, but you can and it will continue to record data and provide suggestions if needed, so I decided to rent it out to a couple riding buddies and they gained the same results. So to end this long story, I am not affiliated with Shockwiz in any way shape or form, but I do believe it to be a valuable tool for someone such as myself who is not a suspension guru.
Looked at that a year or two ago, but balked at the price. Good to hear some honest, unsolicited feedback on it. Thanks for sharing.

So I bought myself a cool little gizmo called a Quarq Shockwiz, to aid in my suspension set up. I bought an amazing full suspension mountain bike last year but really had no idea of how to properly set up the suspension. I followed the basics and set my suspension to the manufacturers recommendations for my size and weight and pretty much left it at that for the first couple months and then fiddled with a few adjustments, not really knowing how they would affect my ride, and then never did much with it again after that. When I hooked up the shockwiz and went for my first ride it told me my fork was running at about 74% efficiency and provided me with the recommended changes in pressure and adjustments. After 3 rides and a few adjustments I got my fork running at 95% efficiency and then had pretty much the same results for my rear shock. Not only did these recommended changes dramatically affect my bicycles ride, they allowed me to learn and understand the affect of the various adjustments of my suspension. After the bike is set up you really don't need to keep the unit hooked up any more, but you can and it will continue to record data and provide suggestions if needed, so I decided to rent it out to a couple riding buddies and they gained the same results. So to end this long story, I am not affiliated with Shockwiz in any way shape or form, but I do believe it to be a valuable tool for someone such as myself who is not a suspension guru.

Neat. Seen development folks setting out with a backpack sized data logger. That thing is much more reasonable. I'd guess within 5-10 years they'll be integrated into the forks and shocks.

Wow that's some awesome Technology! I bought myself brand new Specialized FRS comp last December and have yet to fully understand air shock tuning:confused:. My free time is limited and I lack the full knowledge of all the tweaks needed to get the most out of my rig, don't get me wrong, it has a nice plush ride but I find front shock pilling up and my rear seems to get close to bottoming out too easily for my taste but i'm afraid to mess with it too much, you know the old saying " If it's not broke don't fix it" but i'm ripping myself off by not getting the full range of suspension. Smart of you to rent it out to your buddies:thumbsup: I wonder if my local bike shop would be interested in buying one and renting it out? They rent bikes out for weekends so you can trail test B 4 you buy. You got me thinking now Ta2. Thanks for the info

Check your local bike shops, some may actually be renting it out. I found a few here that were renting it for $100 a week. I rented it out for $75 for a week, or more if needed, with a "lifetime" membership if you want or need to use it again. Sounds like you are running your suspension about the same as I was before the shockwiz, I can say it was a totally different bike after I tuned the suspension as per shockwiz recommendation.

Dang it... another forum that likes introducing me to stuff I didn't even know existed, but now, feel like I need.
Feel?
You KNOW you need it....:D;)

I still have the page up from earlier that I found the Shockwiz for $250.
I'm trying to justify the purchase....:rolleyes:

Feel?
You KNOW you need it....:D;)

I still have the page up from earlier that I found the Shockwiz for $250.
I'm trying to justify the purchase....:rolleyes:

With tax I paid $395 Canadian and I still feel it was worth it, even if I never rented it out at all. I see lots of guys with helmets or jackets or sausage suits that cost almost that much, lets face it nothing in the bike hobby is cheap !!! We own a tire and mechanical shop and I can put rubber on a car cheaper than a lot of bicycle tires. I just bought a lightly used pair of icespikers for my Intense that go for about $190 bucks each new.

lbUhz6O.jpg

So tell me, Did the rider check his breaks and clip the bars on the trees or did he come in too hot and the trees broke his fall. by the way his leg is all up in his fork i suspect an Endo:D. At least he had all that soft sphagnum moss to land on:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

he hucked the drop in the foreground between the trees, about 7', and landed his front wheel into a spongy hole. I've been riding with this kid for about 8 years, (he's 19) and he watched me do this drop a few years ago so I think he was trying to show me up. His crash was better than mine, imo

he hucked the drop in the foreground between the trees, about 7', and landed his front wheel into a spongy hole. I've been riding with this kid for about 8 years, (he's 19) and he watched me do this drop a few years ago so I think he was trying to show me up. His crash was better than mine, imo
Not a Nedendo then. Just a regular out the front door.

Back