Bicycles!

My latest try at reliving my youth is a 2021 Gary Turner 26 inch cruiser that is a close replica of a GT I had back in the late 80’s.
Next on the list for this one will be a set of blue anodized rhyno lite rims with gold anodized hubs and a nicer set of caged pedals.
249D7DEE-9329-4BD8-A6F2-6EFA4A772006.jpeg

Since one is never enough, I had to buy a 26 inch CT frame (GT’s son) to build as an old man dirt jumper that’ll probably only hop a few curbs or hydrants if I’m lucky.
86E07B5D-6020-4F26-9B98-09F2320CD173.jpeg

Seems to line up with a scar in the same spot. I'll bet you're right.
which scar? Trick question- it's all scars! 😆

slipped a pedal today and the studs in my pedals are...unforgiving. So, nice little hole in my shin once again.

I almost always ride solo these days because I just can't stand people, but today a fella caught up with me on the climb and we had a nice ride. A little slower than I'm used to lol. He's new to mtb, just a one year greenhorn, and it was refreshing to show the trails to someone who hasn't seen or ridden them before, and who has a little gratitude and respect for his elders. He was just out visiting a friend, and he was saying he's originally from Toronto. But these days a guy can work from his car or whatever, so he's been living the ski bum life around BC while still having a good paying job. I love my life but I have to admit I felt a twinge of envy.

Last edited:
My latest try at reliving my youth is a 2021 Gary Turner 26 inch cruiser that is a close replica of a GT I had back in the late 80’s.
Next on the list for this one will be a set of blue anodized rhyno lite rims with gold anodized hubs and a nicer set of caged pedals.
View attachment 1795684

Since one is never enough, I had to buy a 26 inch CT frame (GT’s son) to build as an old man dirt jumper that’ll probably only hop a few curbs or hydrants if I’m lucky.
View attachment 1795685
I would love to pick up a cruiser like that. Not sure where to look though. Here is a picture of my old GT. I can’t overstate how much this bike meant to me at one time in my life.

71D4C094-5AD3-4C44-B43D-43E12F8FE83F.jpeg

I would love to pick up a cruiser like that. Not sure where to look though. Here is a picture of my old GT. I can’t overstate how much this bike meant to me at one time in my life.

View attachment 1796150
That’s awesome that you still have it and I definitely know what you’re talking about.
I wish I still had my 24” GT Pro Series that somehow vanished into thin air after I lent it out to an old friend 20 some odd years ago. It’s probably living the stolen life along with my old 80’s PK Ripper.
The chrome bike was a display at T&C Surf in Hawaii that I found over on Facebook and the other frame is a 50th anniversary edition that was purchased from the GT1972 website.

rvdYhnb.jpg

is spring really here?

I listed my Delerium on Pinkbike the other day, haven't been to that site much...I could not believe my eyes- article after article about e mtbs. Guess they've really taken off over the past couple years

well, I was having a great ride today, but I whacked my peen super hard... I know that sounds like it might be pretty cool but I assure you it was not. I was relieved when I observed no blood in my urine, let's just leave it at that.

nP1s17i.jpg

vfjmPxm.jpg

look what I found in the back of the drawer! Double row angular contact bearing and ti axle- was the shit back in the day

So I'm about to get into biking and want to get my first decent one. I'm not gonna shred mountains or anything. I'd like it for some street but mostly light trails. I think I've decided on a surly karate monkey. Any thoughts or input on this brand

So I'm about to get into biking and want to get my first decent one. I'm not gonna shred mountains or anything. I'd like it for some street but mostly light trails. I think I've decided on a surly karate monkey. Any thoughts or input on this brand

Based on your ask, I'd recommend an XC trail bike or gravel bike, depending on whether you ride trails or street more. What's your budget?

If possible, get in free test rides and then rent something for a day to really beat on a little. Renting a couple helps dials in the likes, dislikes, and acceptable compromises.

Demo days are a great way to get a bunch of tests on at once, but they've become rare, at least to my knowledge, since COVID. The brands or shops that offer demo days usually have it advertised for quite a while on a calendar or social media.

Random, but if you happen to be around the SE Michigan area and are around 6'0", hit me up and maybe I can get you on some of my steeds. I have a pretty versatile stable from road bikes to full-suspension CX/trail bikes. Since you mention shredding mountains, you're probably not in my area. We don't have those, but figured I would throw it out there. Gravel and CX bikes have been a mainstay of mine for a decade or so, so I normally have a couple ready to ride at all times.

Installed a Ritchey Venturemax XL handlebar,520mm width.Feels like a new bike..

Also got some Panaracer Gravelking SK tires.Nice tires but you need to double up on rimtape before installing them tubeless.

Screenshot_20220728-102548_Gallery.jpg

so much space for a bag,lights,bell etc.

Screenshot_20220728-103017_Gallery.jpg

yesterday was a little bittersweet for me; my Delerium was picked up by its new owner. I thought I'd keep that bike forever(ish), but I'm lucky if I get out for a ride once a week these days and when I do there's usually about 20km of road before I hit the trail. No expensive resort riding or road trips, either, and we needed the cash and the little extra space. And, I'll be rounding the corner of 50 years on this planet in a few months and it's getting more and more obvious that I ain't no kid no more.

Goodbye, Delerium!

ps. the lady who bought it is older that me 🤣
😭

Back