BigBiscuit

My prayers for Bob's family and friends. Bob was a man that reached many here, if not all who came into contact with him here, in a positive way. May we continue to learn from him in his passing, may we continue to be enriched with his memory, and may we model the character that he championed.

Bob accepted grace and may that same grace cover those who are suffering. My heart hurts for those who loved him. Yet, as Bob believed, there will be a resurrection and no pain will last from that moment on.

Let us all turn and love those we have today while it is today. Thank you Bob for teaching me to just be thankful.

Couldn't have said it better, Brett.

Tough yet warming reads lately. And for that, I am thankful.

I was thinking about something very early this morning, I am not too well right now with a late visit of the Flu- anyways...
I got think of a Card I gave my brother when I was 10 ...he was leaving home, I loved my brother one hell of a lot- he was older than me by 4 and a half years - he was kind, loved animals like you wouldnt believe- but man we used to fight it out lol...
I remember standing in his bedroom crying when he was leaving home - things werent good and he had to leave - I was devastated - I handed him a card which I will explain shortly...

I dont want to take this Thread away from Bob - Im trying to get to Bob and the relevance of loss.......

19 years on I found this card, still in the tattered now off-white envelope - I was cleaning out Andrews wee Flat after he was tragically Killed - in fact he was Murdered, this was probably the most painful job I have ever had to do in my life - with everything with the case going on and the shock etc and trying to deal with the loss was almost impossible, when I pulled open his sock draw- the Card was there.....
The Cover of the Card had a picture of a wee boy wearing a baseball cap backwards, Glove...Bat and ball on the Ground..the wee boy had a tear running down his cheek On the Cover - these words -" its sure going to be Loney here ... ( then you opened up the card and these big words ) ..."Without you!" Oh Andy had kept it for all these years...
For some reason I dont know why I didnt write on the card, but on that now tattered Envelope was this messy kids writing, " To Andrew, Love from Duncan with all these x's for kisses..
I can honestly say my knees near went out from under me when I found this, its the most treasured item I have in existence.....
I used to have this dream- reoccurring every few weeks - there was a knock on the Door- I would go and answer, there was Andrew- I of course was blown away- crying in my dream - telling that I loved him and begging him not to go...but all he ever said " Hey Dunc..I gotta go Man....." Then I would wake up...
That one used to really cut me up...

So after all that, I was thinking of this early Morning, finding my card to Andrew - how it just broke my Heart so immediately upon finding that Card...and I dont quite know just why I immediately thought of Bob, and I said " Bob mate, I kinda hope people say the things about me- the way they have for you my friend when its my time to go, because it means we really really miss you, and it is that bit lonely here with out you, theres a lot of people waiting to open that door my friend, I hope that wherever you are, it's exciting, amazing and full of love".

Last edited:
Wow! I knew Dad had many friends here, but we had no idea the extent of which that is shown here in this thread as well as the other one I started. Mom, Bo and I have been trying to go through them all. It's hard to get very far without the tears flowing. Bittersweet tears. While there are tears of sorrow for the hole in our lives, there are also bittersweet tears from reading all the love shown here towards Dad and our family.
Duncan, I wasn't aware of your screen name until this new post this morning. Thank you for sharing such a lovely memory.
I also want to thank everyone that has made donations. I looked this morning and was touched by the generosity. Mom and Dad had set up a college trust fund for Bo when he was a baby. I will transfer your donations to that fund at some point. It means a lot to us. Bo is a very intelligent kid and will have a bright future ahead.
Another story of Dad's strength that held us together; when Bo was 3 yo, he developed a brain tumor. Luckily it was very operable. our rock throughout that whole ordeal. The day of the surgery, none of us had the strength to go into the operating room with Bo as they were sedating him. Of course Dad was the one to step up. After 30 minutes or so, out comes Dad from the operating room, white as a ghost and shaking. Coming from a big imposing man (6'3" or so and 275 pounds, hence Big Biscuit) who did his stint in the Army and feared not much, he said that was the hardest thing he ever had to do. He was our gentle giant.
Here is a song Dad chose for our family gathering. I thought some of you might want to give a listen.
Once again, thank you everyone.
We miss you so much already Dad.

Lan and Duncan, THANK YOU for adding your thought, insights and history to this thread for Bob. Duncan, you have shared that wonderful heartfelt story with me before and I just had Nanc read it...with tears in her eyes she said "that Duncan" I bet people say that a lot my friend:) thank you for sharing a very private, sensitive story of brotherly love with us and I mean that sincerely. Also Lan, Bob just conveyed friendship, through his actions here on the forum or by a phone call or text. I told Nanc, Bob just became a friend instantly. He was always so kind and genuine. I told Nanc I cried at the news of Bob's passing and asked Nanc, how can that be when I never met him in person? and please know this, I truly felt like I knew Bob for years, I just believe it takes someone very special to form a bond with over the internet. That's a testament to Bob's immense kindness. I appreciate you sharing more about your Dad with us as it definitely adds to what many of us knew already of the man Bob was. There is something about music that transcends time and space and although I knew that song I never would've been able to tell you who the artist was, even though I've always loved the song (I'm old enough to remember it) but your Dad picked a wonderful song indeed. I had googled the lyrics and it definitely touch a chord and shed new light on the meaning of the song. So, THANK YOU Lan and Duncan and to Bob, I miss you buddy but am so very proud and lucky to have known and become friends with you, see you on the Porch buddy:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Lan. Thank you for posting this music. It is sweet of you to take the time when you are so busy. your father will be missed, but not forgotten.

Lovely to hear from you Lan. I hope your family is coping the best you can under these tough times.
That Big Biscuit has made many of us take a leaf from his book that’s for sure.
Thank you Paul my friend - did you point the finger at Nanc and say “ Now Nanc ... lol.

A painful update to whom all Bob has touched. With a very HEAVY HEART I announce that our friend Bob has passed. Please continue prayers for Bob's family and his grandson Bo. With a pain in my heart and tears in my eyes I type this and yet look forward to the day we all sit together on the Porch. God bless Bob, his family and all here who have lost a dear friend, he will be missed but NEVER forgotten.

My condolences to Bob's family and smoke and prayers up and out for those left behind. We were all touched by this man and his love for the community and the hobby that embraced him. You'll be missed my friend and will always be remembered fondly. I'm not usually at a loss for words but in this case I am and the Porch most certainly never be the same. :(

Thank you Lan, for sharing the music,stories and thoughts of your family in this hard hour. Duncan, I have tried not to weep anymore over this transition for Bob, but it took two tries for me to write : thank you for sharing that story with all of us. Be well my friend.
Thanks, Neal

Saw this thread pop up again and wanted to repost what I had posted in Carl's Lounge yesterday so this is a copy and paste.

Just wanted to say thank you so much to all of you who have contributed or plan on contributing to Bob's grandson Bo's college fund in Bobs honor. Lan, Bob's daughter texted us this morning and they can't believe how many folks have donated and are so grateful but even more so for the friends her Dad made here and the quality of those friends. I am sure that the kindness shown their family from so many gives them a lot of joy seeing how much Bob was respected and loved on this forum.
It also causes me to puff out my chest with pride to be associated with such a wonderful group of people here because you folks are the absolutely the best bar none. So thank all of you again and God Bless you all. What an incredible place we call the Porch is and a special thank you to Spark for starting and maintaining this great forum.

As what happens often in life, we get busy and distracted. I've been away from knife discussions for a few months now, and today I spent the afternoon building a little rack to display my GEC's. I posted a picture of it on FB where Bob had commented on my postings involving knives. I wanted him to see it with my little collection that he had contributed a knife to. Then after some looking for him, I found out he was gone. I'm a horrible correspondent, and now I feel like I was lacking as a friend, because I let life get in the way of me checking on him.

I love you my friend. I already miss talking to you, and I hope you'll forgive me for not keeping in touch better. You made us all better for knowing you.

Brought me up short, to see this back on page one. I’d been reading the Canoe thread and ran across some of Bob’s Old posts in it. Then this popped up. Got teary for a second, but then I thought how cool, Bob’s still talking, even if he’s not right here. Nothing metaphysical-just that some times kind words and good observations live on after we do. Which is a blessing. btmccutcheon btmccutcheon , I’d bet anything that BigBiscuit wouldn’t agree with you. Life happens: family, work, whatever it may be. The nice thing is, you left some words for Bob’s loved ones to see. Go easy on yerself, it’s all good.
Thanks, Neal

Back