1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 4 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade Limited Edition 319DLC-1801 Proper, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 26!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

BK62 Photos Here

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by The Warrior, Nov 20, 2018.

1. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos

Dec 28, 2018
    I roughed out some liners tonight with some 1/8" Zebrawood. I fit them on the blade and put the stock scales back on to see how it may feel in the hand before spending a bunch of effort in finish work.

While adding 1/4" thickness to the knife in a contrasting wood looks kinda cool, it just feels 'off' in my hand...too thick and a loss of control so I'm gonna stay with the OEM scales and brass hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crag the Brewer and The Warrior like this.
  2. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I suspected that would be the case.
    you might try liners out of something thinner -- like a flexible cutting board - they're about 1mm thick, your zebrawood is 3mm thick.
    to get an ides of how that will feel, try the handle again with only one of the wood liners.

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  3. Crag the Brewer

Crag the Brewer

Oct 18, 2018
    For some reason I can't see your pics....?
    I think I'm going to try some things, brass shim stock, but idk yet which thickness I'm shooting for...probablly in summer?

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  4. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    I suspect you'd be better off shaping new scales from scratch. But this knife has a TALL handle, which tends to limit sculpting options.

Xr6x likes this.
  5. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    BK-62 arrived today!!
    Sweet blade. Feels really interesting in the hand, makes me want to wave it around.
    Some notes:

* The sheath is solid. Impressive, Ka-bar. It's not refined, but at this price point it's great. Good welt, riveting, molding.
    * Love the tumbled finish.
    * Good factory edge. Appears to have been stropped, no burr.
    * I like the walnut scales. Grain is plain, as expected, but no manufacturing flaws
    * I like the button-head allen bolts.
    * Tall flat handle is interesting. Not sure I love it, BUT it indexes VERY well, and is super versatile. The narrow blade and tall handle give good torque in wood, as expected.
    * Centered point makes drilling easy.

Some minor issues:
    * plunges are a bit uneven at the edge
    * Plunges appear to be a bit over-ground at the spine. It's actually thinner at the spine plunge than further down the blade spine over the belly. I think the big disc grinders that do the main bevels probably need adjusting. Tolerable, though.

I ordered from Tomars:

[​IMG]

Out of the box:

[​IMG]

Slender and tapered tang are dead sexy!:

[​IMG]

Long gentle swedge is dead sexy!:

[​IMG]

Scales after some 400x sandpaper, BLO, and furniture wax:

[​IMG]

JasonJ, Jerry D., Don W and 10 others like this.
  6. Xr6x

Xr6x Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Great review, but you forgot to give your opinion on the dog tag :p. I really like the this Knife and Sheath package glad you like it :thumbsup:

JJ_Colt45, tanglediver and GeofS like this.
  7. The Warrior

The Warrior ◄Dubzerator► Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Good stuff daizee, glad you got one in. 'Tis a cool freakin blade. Your scales look awesome.

JJ_Colt45, GeofS and Xr6x like this.
  8. GeofS

GeofS Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Trying out a new holiday gift today, an electric smoker.

Ribs (pork and beef) and a chicken. The Kep butchered the ribs nicely...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Kep is very slicey! :thumbsup:

9. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    Meat juice patina:
    [​IMG]

Tanker 1/66, Jerry D., Xr6x and 4 others like this.
  10. daizee

Dec 30, 2009
    Cat, with BK-62 for scale:

[​IMG]

11. Sulaco

Sulaco

Nov 15, 2003
    Hey which version of the Kephart is that in the top of your picture Bladite?

viking313 likes this.
  12. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2011
  13. JoshSkaarup

JoshSkaarup

Nov 15, 2018
    Some mild sacrilege this morning; I cut some cross hatching into the walnut scales. Gives a little bit of texture and some added grip. I like how it feels. The grooves are currently filled with some wax paste that I apply every so often to the handle.

[​IMG]

14. The Warrior

The Warrior ◄Dubzerator► Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Not a sacrilege at all, make it your own. :thumbsup:

15. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Looks pretty neat Josh:thumbsup:

16. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2014
    B3CB6491-2ABB-4C82-A78D-B65912716C54.jpeg
    BK-62 with my JK Custom, Condor and Tom Chitwood modified OH. Was very blessed to have received the 62 as a Christmas gift!

JasonJ, Xr6x, viking313 and 2 others like this.
  17. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2011
    That top one looks really well executed, RN. I presume it's the JK.

Tanker 1/66 likes this.
  18. GeofS

Mar 9, 2018
    I think I’m finally done messing with my second BK62.

The recap:

Sanded to 600 grit and added one layer of tung oil. When that cured, I added a layer of boiled linseed oil. When that cured, I added another layer of tung oil. When that cured, I melted pure beeswax, swabbed it all over the scales and then buffed off the excess.

It has a nice grip to it...

[​IMG]

Now I’m going to revisit my first BK62 again. I can do better than this...

[​IMG]

Xr6x and Tanker 1/66 like this.
  19. Xr6x

Xr6x Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Just mineral oil for me :thumbsup: it's easy and it drys just fine :D keep applying and rubbing till it won't soak in let sit for 1 hour wipe off ,done :thumbsup: might need a drop or two down the road or might not :D
    IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3815.JPG
    Food safe too :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Crag the Brewer and GeofS like this.
  20. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Yes sir, top one is a JK with Iron wood and O1. He does good work!

Xr6x, Tanker 1/66 and tjswarbrick like this.