BK62 Photos Here

I roughed out some liners tonight with some 1/8" Zebrawood. I fit them on the blade and put the stock scales back on to see how it may feel in the hand before spending a bunch of effort in finish work.

While adding 1/4" thickness to the knife in a contrasting wood looks kinda cool, it just feels 'off' in my hand...too thick and a loss of control so I'm gonna stay with the OEM scales and brass hardware.

zebrawood-jpg.649981

toothick-jpg.649982

I suspected that would be the case.
you might try liners out of something thinner -- like a flexible cutting board - they're about 1mm thick, your zebrawood is 3mm thick.
to get an ides of how that will feel, try the handle again with only one of the wood liners.

I roughed out some liners tonight with some 1/8" Zebrawood. I fit them on the blade and put the stock scales back on to see how it may feel in the hand before spending a bunch of effort in finish work.

While adding 1/4" thickness to the knife in a contrasting wood looks kinda cool, it just feels 'off' in my hand...too thick and a loss of control so I'm gonna stay with the OEM scales and brass hardware.

zebrawood-jpg.649981

toothick-jpg.649982
For some reason I can't see your pics....?
I think I'm going to try some things, brass shim stock, but idk yet which thickness I'm shooting for...probablly in summer?

I suspect you'd be better off shaping new scales from scratch. But this knife has a TALL handle, which tends to limit sculpting options.

BK-62 arrived today!!
Sweet blade. Feels really interesting in the hand, makes me want to wave it around.
Some notes:

* The sheath is solid. Impressive, Ka-bar. It's not refined, but at this price point it's great. Good welt, riveting, molding.
* Love the tumbled finish.
* Good factory edge. Appears to have been stropped, no burr.
* I like the walnut scales. Grain is plain, as expected, but no manufacturing flaws
* I like the button-head allen bolts.
* Tall flat handle is interesting. Not sure I love it, BUT it indexes VERY well, and is super versatile. The narrow blade and tall handle give good torque in wood, as expected.
* Centered point makes drilling easy.

Some minor issues:
* plunges are a bit uneven at the edge
* Plunges appear to be a bit over-ground at the spine. It's actually thinner at the spine plunge than further down the blade spine over the belly. I think the big disc grinders that do the main bevels probably need adjusting. Tolerable, though.

I ordered from Tomars:

IMG_20190105_114604-small.jpg

Out of the box:

IMG_20190105_114626-small.jpg

Slender and tapered tang are dead sexy!:

IMG_20190105_114639-small.jpg

Long gentle swedge is dead sexy!:

IMG_20190105_115245-small.jpg

Scales after some 400x sandpaper, BLO, and furniture wax:

IMG_20190105_141459-small.jpg

BK-62 arrived today!!
Sweet blade. Feels really interesting in the hand, makes me want to wave it around.
Some notes:

* The sheath is solid. Impressive, Ka-bar. It's not refined, but at this price point it's great. Good welt, riveting, molding.
* I like the walnut scales. Grain is plain, as expected, but no manufacturing flaws
* Tall flat handle is interesting. Not sure I love it, BUT it indexes VERY well, and is super versatile. The narrow blade and tall handle give good torque in wood, as expected.

Some minor issues:
* Plunges appear to be a bit over-ground at the spine. It's actually thinner at the spine plunge than further down the blade spine over the belly. I think the big disc grinders that do the main bevels probably need adjusting. Tolerable, though.

I ordered from Tomars:

Out of the box:

Great review, but you forgot to give your opinion on the dog tag :p. I really like the this Knife and Sheath package glad you like it :thumbsup:

BK-62 arrived today!!
Some notes:

Some minor issues:

I ordered from Tomars:

Out of the box:

Good stuff daizee, glad you got one in. 'Tis a cool freakin blade. Your scales look awesome.

Some mild sacrilege this morning; I cut some cross hatching into the walnut scales. Gives a little bit of texture and some added grip. I like how it feels. The grooves are currently filled with some wax paste that I apply every so often to the handle.

Looks pretty neat Josh:thumbsup:

I think I’m finally done messing with my second BK62.

The recap:

Sanded to 600 grit and added one layer of tung oil. When that cured, I added a layer of boiled linseed oil. When that cured, I added another layer of tung oil. When that cured, I melted pure beeswax, swabbed it all over the scales and then buffed off the excess.

It has a nice grip to it...

77NACrP.jpg

Now I’m going to revisit my first BK62 again. I can do better than this...

2cGBfzC.jpg

Back