BK62

W

ere do u get those brass screws
I'll do a brief write up when I get home from work today.... I don't remember the part numbers off-hand?
Unfortunately my modification wasn't as simple as just swapping hardware. I opened up the diameter by counterboring for my chamfered washers, and went deeper. I made a special jig to hold the scales, and I did this in a vertical mill.
Maybe they could be done with a pilot bit of some sorts, idk? I used an endmill.

I agree....

Ok.....The store I used was Lee Valley. It's one of my favorite stores, their catalogs are Amazing!!!
They are great for Everything woodworking, gardening, cooking, and More.....

Brass CT'SK waskers product# 01K7002
Brass FH Screw product # 44Z0402
* If you are paying all that shipping from Canada, buy the SS Pickle grabber......it's an awesome tool. Product number EV112

Brass nuts from Amazon product# 842176128184

Ok.....The store I used was Lee Valley. It's one of my favorite stores, their catalogs are Amazing!!!
They are great for Everything woodworking, gardening, cooking, and More.....

Brass CT'SK waskers product# 01K7002
Brass FH Screw product # 44Z0402
* If you are paying all that shipping from Canada, buy the SS Pickle grabber......it's an awesome tool. Product number EV112

Brass nuts from Amazon product# 842176128184

Thanks for the tip Crag. Good excuse to take a trip back to Lee Valley. :thumbsup:

The Kephart is here and on sale. It is 1/8th of inch thick in 1095 crovan, stone washed, Walnut Wood and I think it is a nice design. One person though it was 5/32 maybe due to mistype of info but a person has measured it and it is 1/8th. Ethan did the world a great service by bringing back this ole timer.

Why do they have to jack the price up so much? I don’t understand why they don’t want people to buy directly from them.

Curious to know how you like the liners. Looks like an extra 1/8in total? Nice mod!

I like them a lot.... I still need to have more time with it though. I just did this last night.
The difference is very subtle. I didn't measure the thickness yet (I can) but I'd guess about .062" total width increase.

When I first assembled them, and held the knife, I wasn't impressed that much, I thought it would feel different?
(I have two BK62's here) but then when I held the original, I noticed the difference Big Time!
The knife with the red liners feels correct.....In fact, if I do this again with brass or something else, I'm going to try to go even thicker just to see where the limits are.

The red liner knife still fits in the original factory, leather sheath. It's snug.
I'm in the process of designing a kydex sheath for this one, so I will probably keep it like this, we'll see?

I Highly recommend doing it if you are even thinking about it. It's easy. Took maybe 15 mins?
I don't think it changes the look too much, I think Mine looks classy. :D

I like them a lot.... I still need to have more time with it though. I just did this last night.
The difference is very subtle. I didn't measure the thickness yet (I can) but I'd guess about .062" total width increase.

When I first assembled them, and held the knife, I wasn't impressed that much, I thought it would feel different?
(I have two BK62's here) but then when I held the original, I noticed the difference Big Time!
The knife with the red liners feels correct.....In fact, if I do this again with brass or something else, I'm going to try to go even thicker just to see where the limits are.

The red liner knife still fits in the original factory, leather sheath. It's snug.
I'm in the process of designing a kydex sheath for this one, so I will probably keep it like this, we'll see?

I Highly recommend doing it if you are even thinking about it. It's easy. Took maybe 15 mins?
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah man it looks very classy, love the look! I bought a pack of user extras for a bk16, extra grips, sheath, stainless hardware, and it came with two thin slabs of red micatra. I sized them up to the 62 when I got it and it looks like it will work. I just wasnt sure about messing up the flow/ergos of the knife.
So, when you do the brass are you going to skeletonize it a little or go with solid slabs?

General question...do you install the liners loose, or does one need to use an adhesive of some kind?

Btw, looks like your bk62 investment is healing up nicely:D

Last edited:
The BK62 is finally listed on KA-BAR's site: https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=BK62

wow glad to have gotten in on the early release ... I really love my BK62 ... the knife and the history behind it ...
but that price is at a point I'm not sure if I could have pulled the trigger on.

Not sure if this has been done yet, but I got some plastic...goi go into this thinking I'll switch to brass if I decide I like it?

nice mod I like the liner :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah man it looks very classy, love the look! I bought a pack of user extras for a bk16, extra grips, sheath, stainless hardware, and it came with two thin slabs of red micatra. I sized them up to the 62 when I got it and it looks like it will work. I just wasnt sure about messing up the flow/ergos of the knife.
So, when you do the brass are you going to skeletonize it a little or go with solid slabs?

I've been thinking about this a lot.
Honestly, I don't know yet?
This knife Isn't a chopper, so maybe having it handle heavy might be ok? I'm picturing it to feel substantial, and regal. haha
If it's just way too much weight (I might be increasing it's overall weight by a third, idk?) I can always mill some holes in it later.
So I'm going to start with solid.

General question...do you install the liners loose, or does one need to use an adhesive of some kind?

Btw, looks like your bk62 investment is healing up nicely:D

If I were you........ making the scales out of mircarta, Id make them, keep them loose at first. Play with the knife a bunch.
Then afterwards, and you are happy with that width increase.... Then Id epoxy them to the wood scales, but not to the tang of the knife. Id keep the screws for fastening. I personally like the idea of taking them off for whatever reason.

That's how I plan on doing it if I make more permanent liners.

My hand is looking more normal, thank you!
It's funny, I have to occasionally do some hand modeling for my job (I work in NPD) and when I had the stitches, That didn't go over so well....
haha/ugh.

My wife just picked me up a BK62 for Valentine's Day (as well as a C/F Diafold to round out my field sharpening kit). I haven't felt this excited to put a knife to use in awhile! Should make for an excellent camp kitchen knife replacement for my Morakniv Bushcraft Forest. :)

Pics to come soon!

My wife just picked me up a BK62 for Valentine's Day (as well as a C/F Diafold to round out my field sharpening kit). I haven't felt this excited to put a knife to use in awhile! Should make for an excellent camp kitchen knife replacement for my Morakniv Bushcraft Forest. :)

Pics to come soon!
Congrats man, it's a fine blade indeed.

Pics to come soon!
Congrats :thumbsup: your gonna like it :D

Back