Blade HQ Exclusive Manix in M4

First, yes on the PM2 M4 DLC with jade G-10!!!

About the CBB lock on the Manix. I actually had a change of heart about it due to BHQ model.

I had two of the Manix LW over the last couple of years. Gave one away, and even though I kept the CTS-XHP model, I didn't use it much due to the lock. The LW handle is way to slick for this lock; for me anyways. Flew out of my hand on several occasions, and had to re-profile it twice due to chipping after it hit the ground.

Now, having the DLC M4 version of this knife, I realized two things. The G-10 makes for a much more secure grip on the knife while trying to close it. That, combined with the spring feeling softer than the LW models, makes me actually like the CBBL now.

Would I try a compression lock Manix? Probably. But PM2 (my favorite of all time) already scratches that itch. And my new found fondness for CBBL doesn't make it necessary.

On this topic, can we hope Spyderco puts an Axis lock on Manix 2 (now that the patent of Axis lock expired)? Just call it something else rather than Axis lock.

On this topic, can we hope Spyderco puts an Axis lock on Manix 2 (now that the patent of Axis lock expired)? Just call it something else rather than Axis lock.

So much no! Please no!

Nothing wrong with the Axis, but Spyderco's caged ball bearing lock is superior IMO. It's sturdier and the coil spring is way more secure than the super thin Omega springs. Just let your fingers get used to manipulating the CBBL.

One finger closing is overrated anyway. Just dig the butt of the Manix into the palm of your hand and pull down with your thumb and index finger.

So much no! Please no!

Nothing wrong with the Axis, but Spyderco's caged ball bearing lock is superior IMO. It's sturdier and the coil spring is way more secure than the super thin Omega springs. Just let your fingers get used to manipulating the CBBL.

One finger closing is overrated anyway. Just dig the butt of the Manix into the palm of your hand and pull down with your thumb and index finger.

Yes - that's how I close Manix 2. But still, I feel Axis lock is smoother and more flickable than CBBL, though nothing wrong with the latter. Just thought some variants of Manix might be fun to have.

The ball bearing lock is more solid than the axis lock in my opinion. I've owned tons of Spydies and Benchmades over the last 20 years or so. A lot of the axis locks I owned, developed up and down play once the knife wore in. Not all, but a lot of them. I've never had this with any ball bearing lock from Spyderco. Though it's never happened to me personally, I've read lots of reports of folks and their broken omega springs. I've yet to hear of any coil spring failure....

Yes I already started making room for PM2 and Military in this exact configuration.

Any talk to anyone over at BHQ and get an ETA on these?? Hopefully not anytime soon...need to build up some funds.

I know dealer exclusives are typically 1200 pieces, but can they order more if they want? I mean this is the type of run where they need to get some investment capital if needed, and just order like 5K or 10K of these at once, and not place a limit on pieces per customer. Pretty sure they would still sell out, especially if they didn't cap the number per customer. I know a lot of people buy based on exclusivity and limited numbers, but this combo is so awesome in looks and with the popular M4 steel, that people should be able to buy these to use, and not keep in a safe.

Anybody know what the last one (DLC) went for, on the exchange? By the time I see them, they say "$old."

Yes, I know I'd have to change my membership status, to sell one.

I hope I'm not out of line, asking...

Back