Blade show 2020

They're being positive, certainly nothing wrong with that. We could use more of that type of attitude at this point.
In another 60 days they can take another look.

There is positive, and then there is delusional.... This is the latter.

Show will have no international sellers or buyers, there is a huge chunk lost right there. i know a handful of North American makers and collectors who already are saying hell no to this new date as well. This show is going to be a disaster, and that's if it even happens. Which from what all the CDC, WHO, Harvard, MIT, etc etc virologists, and epidemiologists are saying, is not going to happen. The people who have been right all along about whats transpired are saying this is going to keep disrupting life until 2021, possibly a year later even if no vaccine can be produced or if this thing mutates at all like spanish flu did for its 2nd winter where it got even worse. Large public gatherings just won't be happening most of the stuff going on around the country for this summer is already cancelling right now.

They're being positive, certainly nothing wrong with that. We could use more of that type of attitude at this point.
In another 60 days they can take another look.

There is positive, and then there is delusional.... This is the latter.
Show will have no international sellers or buyers, there is a huge chunk lost right there. i know a handful of North American makers and collectors who already are saying hell no to this new date as well. This show is going to be a disaster, and that's if it even happens. Which from what all the CDC, WHO, Harvard, MIT, etc etc virologists, and epidemiologists are saying, is not going to happen. The people who have been right all along about whats transpired are saying this is going to keep disrupting life until 2021, possibly a year later even if no vaccine can be produced or if this thing mutates at all like spanish flu did for its 2nd winter where it got even worse. Large public gatherings just won't be happening most of the stuff going on around the country for this summer is already cancelling right now.

You certainly have a grim outlook. I’ve always believed that while it’s important to view things realistically, trying to maintain a positive outlook, especially in difficult situations, typically helps. Blade seems to be doing that.

Per my earlier post I don’t believe there will be a 2020 Blade Show, however I applaud Blade management's determination not to give up until exploring all options.

I’m assuming from WVaIlakis previous post Blade is offering refunds, so don’t see a need to keep bashing them. They have been put in a bad spot by the Corona Virus just like everyone else.

You certainly have a grim outlook. I’ve always believed that while it’s important to view things realistically, trying to maintain a positive outlook, especially in difficult situations, typically helps. Blade seems to be doing that.

Per my earlier post I don’t believe there will be a 2020 Blade Show, however I applaud Blade management's determination not to give up until exploring all options.

I’m assuming from WVaIlakis previous post Blade is offering refunds, so don’t see a need to keep bashing them. They have been put in a bad spot by the Corona Virus just like everyone else.

Yeah it may be a bit grim, but i like to know whats coming and plan for it. Blade did the opposite and it's why ive been giving them grief. They knew a month+ ago that blades normal date wasn't gonna happen, yet kept tellin everyone things are fine, keep your hotels, planes, cars etc booked. Now, instead of just cancelling it, they are kicking the can down the road for the slightest glimmer of hope that the outcome will change. Meanwhile all these attendees, table holders, and large corps are in limbo yet again hoping the show goes on, spending money as if it is, but in all honesty, as you said too, won't be happening.

As someone else in prior post said, this is going to leave a bad taste in a lot of attendees and table holders mouths. They are doing FAR more damage to themselves right now than Covid is. 2021, they could of come back strong, with a bunch of people amped up after missing a year. Instead they are burning bridges left and right by first downplaying the risk, then ignoring people asking if show is happening or not, to now shifting the date to, again as you even said, a date that will more likely than not also not happen.

I mean lets be honest here, Blades big announcement was that they have found a new date, a date that some other event cancelled on, knowing it wasn't happening... I don't think thats something worthy of applause.

A Aidenag Yes, what you say has merit. And it may come to pass that it does not happen. I'm thinking 50/50.

There is also a BIG However: It's not only about Blade's financial take on this show. The Show is successful for EVERYONE, and (we) attendees are dependant upon it for an income stream. ESPECIALLY when the Spring has taken away selling and marketing opportunities.

I predict, even if it does happen, a notable drop in attendance. However, last year was nearly OVERWHELMING, so a reduction isn't tragic. I would actually welcome less work on my end.

I expect a LOT of full-time makers, dealers and manufacturers cannot simply come back in 2021 strong. They need to earn $$$ in 2020 if the opportunity is available.

I have to be there. My family's livelihood is bound to this show, and I provide a tangible service to my clients who WILL be there. (It gets even more difficult for us because we are in Sydney Australia the weekend before shooting there. YIKES!)

I don't enjoy this hardship whatsoever. Was it handled perfectly? No. Is there a possibility to resurrect the beginning of this year. Maybe.

In the meantime, I'm setting my compass to Atlanta in early August.

Unfortunately the governance in georgia has been slow to side with medical reality so they may allow this to happen. And the show promoters are clearly blinded by financial indemnity. We can all pray that one of these treatments proves to reduce mortality to next to nothing in the coming 100 days. Good reports from Gilead today.
The reports that they are finding 3-4 times the viral load in asymptomatc and pre symptomatic transmitters vs fullblown covid19 patients is more than troubling for a large gathering event. It becomes much harder to support your family when covered by 2 tons of soil.

Unfortunately the governance in georgia has been slow to side with medical reality so they may allow this to happen. And the show promoters are clearly blinded by financial indemnity. We can all pray that one of these treatments proves to reduce mortality to next to nothing in the coming 100 days. Good reports from Gilead today.
The reports that they are finding 3-4 times the viral load in asymptomatc and pre symptomatic transmitters vs fullblown covid19 patients is more than troubling for a large gathering event. It becomes much harder to support your family when covered by 2 tons of soil.

apparently, bodies buried with covid19 in them remain contagious, so we have that wonderful piece to add to our mosaic, not to mention somewhat inexplicable REinfections...

is it a bigger decision to cancel Blade altogether or to wait and see what happens? I'm of the camp that feels like when big things are happening, it pays to keep decisions as small as possible. Big decisions carry big consequences, so, what's the bigger decision? That's all rhetorical, of course. Everyone is gonna do what everyone is gonna do. I only know what I'm gonna do, and that's 50/50 at best

there is still so much we don't know about the disease itself, but also the social ramifications that will arise as a result of our collective reactions to its effects

Perhaps shows like Blade are becoming an anachronism. What would happen if we recreated the same experience in virtual form. A event where we could virtually visit with many makers, enjoy a two way video conversation in real time, review their products with them, purchase items off of their “table” and have them magically arrive at our doors within a few days. I don’t know if there are many positive aspects of the show that we would necessarily foresake by not being there. Gone would be the long commute, the hassle at the airports and with TSA, the many long lines, the traffic, the fear of having shippers delay or misplace inventory, Materials and equipment, the race to setup or tear down the room, and the expense, hassle of dealing with hotel accommodations, and the near insanity of trying to find a parking place near the Cobbs Center.

I would miss the social aspects of the event, the ability to actually handle the many products at the show, and the change of scenery one can enjoy by traveling. But, it would be cheaper, less stressful, and would leave each of us with that more time for shop and family and friends.

I was hoping to go this year, and regretted having missed last year due to illness. But, let’s face it, when I was last there in 2018 I ended up parking several blocks away, was made to feel like a sardine in that overcrowded room, had a hard time getting to some of the tables, and had to forego lunch until I was well away from the venue since everything was jam packed. The pleasure of attending was tempered by the crush of inadequate facilities.

Perhaps next year.

n2s

Perhaps shows like Blade are becoming an anachronism. What would happen if we recreated the same experience in virtual form. A event where we could virtually visit with many makers, enjoy a two way video conversation in real time, review their products with them, purchase items off of their “table” and have them magically arrive at our doors within a few days. I don’t know if there are many positive aspects of the show that we would necessarily foresake by not being there. Gone would be the long commute, the hassle at the airports and with TSA, the many long lines, the traffic, the fear of having shippers delay or misplace inventory, Materials and equipment, the race to setup or tear down the room, and the expense, hassle of dealing with hotel accommodations, and the near insanity of trying to find a parking place near the Cobbs Center.

I would miss the social aspects of the event, the ability to actually handle the many products at the show, and the change of scenery one can enjoy by traveling. But, it would be cheaper, less stressful, and would leave each of us with that more time for shop and family and friends.

I was hoping to go this year, and regretted having missed last year due to illness. But, let’s face it, when I was last there in 2018 I ended up parking several blocks away, was made to feel like a sardine in that overcrowded room, had a hard time getting to some of the tables, and had to forego lunch until I was well away from the venue since everything was jam packed. The pleasure of attending was tempered by the crush of inadequate facilities.

Perhaps next year.

n2s

seems to me things are heading in this direction generally. I say, look to what concert promoters are doing for cues

there are platforms currently available that basically do what you suggest, without a centralized control. IG in particular is as close to an online knife show that we have, imo, and it runs 24/7. Perhaps there is another option coming which is going to be more organized and come with benefits in exchange for a limited run time.

There are a lot of good reasons to go to a knife show, reasons that will never exist online, so it'll be up to whomever decides they can make the leap to figure out how to entice the audience. It won't be enough to simply expect that people will 'show up' just because a physical option to visit a knife show like Blade no longer exists, (I'm not saying that's gonna happen, just imagining that particular tendril of future)

It's better all the way round to leave your money with them, if they have to postpone ...your money will be used to create the show when it does happen. Show some support people. it's not a loss till you sell. No one knows what's going to happen, sure, but they are trying or they would just throw theirs hands up.

seems to me things are heading in this direction generally. I say, look to what concert promoters are doing for cues

there are platforms currently available that basically do what you suggest, without a centralized control. IG in particular is as close to an online knife show that we have, imo, and it runs 24/7. Perhaps there is another option coming which is going to be more organized and come with benefits in exchange for a limited run time.

There are a lot of good reasons to go to a knife show, reasons that will never exist online, so it'll be up to whomever decides they can make the leap to figure out how to entice the audience. It won't be enough to simply expect that people will 'show up' just because a physical option to visit a knife show like Blade no longer exists, (I'm not saying that's gonna happen, just imagining that particular tendril of future)

I agree.
There's a lot to be said for knifemakers being able meet thousands of potential customers with money in their pockets face to face to promote themselves and their knives/brand. Also no better venue to meet up with your existing customers to visit, show-off new designs and materials. Traditional knife shows offer invaluable opportunities for the new knifemakers to cultivate their businesses. I've always told newer knifemakers that they can greatly benefit from going to Blade Show even if they don't sell a single knife.

As far as collectors go, where else can one see and handle hundreds of knives over such a short period of time and interact with hundreds of knifrmakers? There's NO BETTER educational opportunity for the new knife collector than going to Blade Show.

As long as there's knife enthusiasts and collectors, traditional knife shows will fill a need.

It's better all the way round to leave your money with them, if they have to postpone ...your money will be used to create the show when it does happen. Show some support people. it's not a loss till you sell. No one knows what's going to happen, sure, but they are trying or they would just throw theirs hands up.

I agree here as well!
Knifemaker's:
How many knives have you sold over the years at Blade Show?
How many clients and friends have you made over the years as a result of Blade Show?
How much have you learned as a result of Blade Show?
How many contacts have you made over the years at Blade Show for purchasing materials and equipment?

Collectors, similar questions?

18 years ago I was in Atlanta on a Friday inspecting a commercial construction project and finished up about 6 hours early and was headed down the interstate dreading a long wait at the airport to return home. Suddenly I noticed a huge BLADE SHOW sign appeared at a convention center to the left. I wasn't a knife enthusiasts, however thought a knife show had to be more interesting than the Atlanta airport.

I stopped in and was exposed for the first time to the world of custom knives, my life was changed and I've attended almost every Blade Show since. I can't even say how much enjoyment I've had over the years as a result of custom knives and Blade Show. Some of my longest and closest friendships are also the result of the same.

Blade Show management isn't trying to get over on anyone, they're just trying to examine every option. Let's give them a break and show a little support.

Last edited:
the same experience in virtual form.
I don't think so. A knife is a physical, tangible object. Handling one, the balance and feel can't be replaced by an app. Maybe some day but not today or next year.

The obvious and self evident nature of a knife when handled is the antithesis of a computer or virtual anything. I work with the Hololens II daily and every day increases that perspective.

COMIC-CON CANCELLED

this show garners 130k attendees and has chosen to cancel till 2021

https://www.cbs8.com/article/entert...eled/509-1ea18509-fbe9-4510-8dca-31eb7f63bfb3

in my opinion this is what the blade show needs to do

I love the show as much as anyone but it is what it is

be safe everyone

Just saw that too, they were one of the last holdouts. This makes Blade pretty much the only major event not cancelled now. I get everyone wants to see it happen, and nobody wants to see blade go under(even me) but the moves they are making are irresponsible to public safety, and only going to damage the industry at this point. It will be a PR nightmare if the show goes on.

Think about it... The knife world is going to be looked at like a bunch of Anti-Vaccer's throwing a Corona Party filled with sharp objects... They need to cancel this immediately before the damage is done. Otherwise the media headlines, meme makers, late night hosts, etc won't even need to write the material, as this crap will write itself. And yeah, there's the whole, if one person attending has it, how many hundreds or thousands could leave Blade sick?. Do we really want our profession/hobby/obsessions biggest event, to be known for years to come as that event that started a huge cluster of pain and suffering for god knows how many people?

Cancel it now, ask people to keep their money for 2021, but offer full refunds if requested, and start planning for 2021...

I don’t think the late show is going to talk about the Blade show but even if the state allows it to happen the amount of people that will not be attending on both sides will surely make for a dismal show with poor showings and sales

‘ComicCon is a huge show roughly 4 times the size I believe of the Blade show

the Group that runs these shows knows how to run a show of great magnitude and I would think that all shows should follow their lead

plus I ain’t going to Atlanta in August ....to hot for me :)

this whole pandemic thing has so many layers that this is not the place to discuss it

hope all are well

I think we will be LUCKY if the world is able to handle a show such as this NEXT YEAR at this time. I'm not sure I would attend something like this even in one year.

At this point I am not considering the attending the Blade show even in August. It is just too much of a gamble for a guy my age and with preexisting conditions etc. etc. One of the main reasons is that I go to blade each year to meet and greet with some of my best friends ever and if a good portion of those people stay home then my incentive to venture out deminishes dramatically. Joey is high on that list and he has already said he's not going.

At this point I am not considering the attending the Blade show even in August. It is just too much of a gamble for a guy my age and with preexisting conditions etc. etc. One of the main reasons is that I go to blade each year to meet and greet with some of my best friends ever and if a good portion of those people stay home then my incentive to venture out deminishes dramatically. Joey is high on that list and he has already said he's not going.

Paul I love ya to much to let ya go buddy

I know you could kick my ass but I’d have to set up road blocks and let the air out of Horrigans tires :)

Back